Wish Mesa / Boogie Badlander

Schematics aren't available but my guess is that they used the Triple Crown approach and simply added a fixed Tube Screamer at the input of a Dual Recto.
I'm late to this topic, but Triple Crown is my main amp, and if I comparing it to Badlander sound wise (same Cab and guitar) it's not the same at all!. I can't say what different technically but overall sound is way different, and you can't make TC sounds like Badlander or vise versa. I've tried to recreate Badlander sound with current Rectifier models in my Axe FxIII but it's not sounds the same. Not way far but really not the same!
It will be nice to have this model when it will be possible!!!!! :)

I think this video is really show the difference, pity it's only High-Gain sounds compared here... :(

Has anyone heard any good clips of this amp? I keep searching, but every time I hear one it just sounds congested and uninspiring. None of the demo players seem that stoked about it either.

Cosmetics aren’t everything, but the Boss knobs kinda bug me and makes it look cheap. I wish they would reissue the old 2-Channel Dual Rec. Those things are flat out mean and feel incredible.
they should'nt have called it a rectifier IMO

Yes it's not really a Rectifier properly said, but it a very cool amp! Hope it come one day on Fractal units! :)

they should'nt have called it a rectifier IMO
Totally agree. I finally got the chance to try one and A/B it against several other Rectifiers in a great room with great guitars and great cabs. Man... no matter how much we tweaked it getting it to sound the best we could, every time we went to a real Dual Rec we just laughed.

The Badlander has a hashy/papery/fizzy top end that you can't get rid of without sacrificing other frequencies a tone needs to feel alive. We gave the amp all we had and my friend sent it back to Mesa with no regrets.

If you want a "Rectifier" tone, the Dual Rev F is king (and also absurdly good with EL34s). If you want a great "Mark series" tone, the Mark IVa is king (even beating out Mark Tremonti's old Mark IIC+ and a new Mark VII).

I really love Mesa amps, but the newer ones have an unusable amount of gain that makes things feel smaller when you put them up against the older classics.

Totally agree. I finally got the chance to try one and A/B it against several other Rectifiers in a great room with great guitars and great cabs. Man... no matter how much we tweaked it getting it to sound the best we could, every time we went to a real Dual Rec we just laughed.

The Badlander has a hashy/papery/fizzy top end that you can't get rid of without sacrificing other frequencies a tone needs to feel alive. We gave the amp all we had and my friend sent it back to Mesa with no regrets.

If you want a "Rectifier" tone, the Dual Rev F is king (and also absurdly good with EL34s). If you want a great "Mark series" tone, the Mark IVa is king (even beating out Mark Tremonti's old Mark IIC+ and a new Mark VII).

I really love Mesa amps, but the newer ones have an unusable amount of gain that makes things feel smaller when you put them up against the older classics.
Ah man you’re killing me! LOL I love the Badlander! I guess we all hear things differently.
You know what it sounds great with? York Audio IR’s ;)

I think they were trying to please the plug and play crowd. A lot of people are put off because dialing Boogies is a lil bit tougher. The Badlander's knobs barely do anything compared to the other Mesa amps. It does have "a sound" but it's not that recto thwank we have come to love. I still don't know who they made that amp for. My favorite Recto I ever owned was a Roadking I but I downgraded slightly to a Roadster and it totally scratches that itch for me. You just gotta be mindful where the presence knobs are set. Plus revebbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.

+1. I think this amp sounds really good. Got a lot of hate when it came out, but I have heard many people make it sound great and always appreciate more amp options.

Has anyone heard any good clips of this amp? I keep searching, but every time I hear one it just sounds congested and uninspiring. None of the demo players seem that stoked about it either.

Cosmetics aren’t everything, but the Boss knobs kinda bug me and makes it look cheap. I wish they would reissue the old 2-Channel Dual Rec. Those things are flat out mean and feel incredible.

I had one for a week. On paper it was everything I could have wanted in an amp, and I had every reason to want to love it. But when I got the thing, I hated it almost instantly. It sounded emaciated, still needed a boost, and despite the marketing, the two channels were NOT identical. With the same settings, they sounded different but more importantly they didn't feel the same, either. Terrible amp, in my opinion. I returned mine.

I think we all hear and fell different things in the same amps. I love my Mark III and Mark IV, I love my Dual Rectifiers. I toured with different revisions though last 30 years and prefer 3 channels multi-watt over RevG or RefF. Currently my main amp is Triple Crown and for me it's the best Mesa ever released! I know a lot of people who don't like it but for me it's the(!) best Mesa amp. I tried Badlander recently and it's very cool amp, not really a Rectifier in "old" way of thinking, but the one I tried was really good. Not fizzy, very good dynamics ands usable with or without a drive. There was a differences between channels with the same settings but very small (in the gap of components tolerance). I has his own character and voice, so I don't see why not to have this amp in Fractal world.

I think we all hear and fell different things in the same amps. I love my Mark III and Mark IV, I love my Dual Rectifiers. I toured with different revisions though last 30 years and prefer 3 channels multi-watt over RevG or RefF. Currently my main amp is Triple Crown and for me it's the best Mesa ever released! I know a lot of people who don't like it but for me it's the(!) best Mesa amp. I tried Badlander recently and it's very cool amp, not really a Rectifier in "old" way of thinking, but the one I tried was really good. Not fizzy, very good dynamics ands usable with or without a drive. There was a differences between channels with the same settings but very small (in the gap of components tolerance). I has his own character and voice, so I don't see why not to have this amp in Fractal world.
I agree regarding the badlander. I didn’t really jive with the tc100 i had. I liked channel 2 the most in that amp. The badlander doesn’t need a boost, imo. It’s tight, but lacking in the low end. But i prefer it way more than the tc100.

I agree regarding the badlander. I didn’t really jive with the tc100 i had. I liked channel 2 the most in that amp. The badlander doesn’t need a boost, imo. It’s tight, but lacking in the low end. But i prefer it way more than the tc100.
Totally understand! By the way TC and Badlander are similar in some way, but there are huge difference in the mids between them! And I personally prefer TC over Badlander, but understand that you may prefer Badlander. :) That why I think it will be a good addition to Fractal Mesa collection!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom