Wish Mesa / Boogie Badlander

I've seen a few video's on it . I think you could get it with the recifiers in the 3 ,just turn the treble and presence up.

Not basically, thats exactly what it is lol. Pretty sure its a factory boosted dual from what ive read. Doesnt seem too complicated with the ideal tab IMO.

rec·ti·fi·er
/ˈrektəˌfīər/
noun
an electrical device which converts an alternating current into a direct one by allowing a current to flow through it in one direction only.

Has anyone heard any good clips of this amp? I keep searching, but every time I hear one it just sounds congested and uninspiring. None of the demo players seem that stoked about it either.

Cosmetics aren’t everything, but the Boss knobs kinda bug me and makes it look cheap. I wish they would reissue the old 2-Channel Dual Rec. Those things are flat out mean and feel incredible.

Has anyone heard any good clips of this amp? I keep searching, but every time I hear one it just sounds congested and uninspiring. None of the demo players seem that stoked about it either.

Cosmetics aren’t everything, but the Boss knobs kinda bug me and makes it look cheap. I wish they would reissue the old 2-Channel Dual Rec. Those things are flat out mean and feel incredible.

York Audio I 100% agree on the sound and look
in all the clips i heard it has this low mid boxy sound ,congested is a great word and on high end there is this fizz like frying bacon sound it just hits freqs that i find grating on the ears

the cosmetics are off to , like throw a recto in a plexi head shell w pedal knobs
i would have preferred they do the black out look w black metal
knobs

Kinda bummed they took out the tube rectifier but I like the news knobs too. Tube recto with the sag switch on the orange channel is pretty dang sweet.
From the vids I've seen on yt and the mesa site, I prefer the Triple Crown to the Badlander for a modern chunkachug but I wouldn't cry about another Mesa in the Axe.

bummed they took out the tube rectifier

It makes zero sense to use tube rectifiers in 2020. If an amp designer wants sag, they can just throw in a wirewound resistor. The response will be identical, and it costs about a buck, much less than that in quantity.

It makes zero sense to use tube rectifiers in 2020. If an amp designer wants sag, they can just throw in a wirewound resistor. The response will be identical, and it costs about a buck, much less than that in quantity.
But having two switchable rectifier types is literally why they're called "Dual Rectifiers".

I guess that's why the Badlander is just "Mesa Rectifier" now :tearsofjoy:

But having two switchable rectifier types is literally why they're called "Dual Rectifiers".

I guess that's why the Badlander is just "Mesa Rectifier" now :tearsofjoy:

Pretty sure dual was nomenclature for wattage, not the type of rectifier. Remember there is the single, dual, triple, tremoverb, rectoverb, roadster, roadking, subway, blues and now the badlander.

Pretty sure dual was nomenclature for wattage, not the type of rectifier. Remember there is the single, dual, triple, tremoverb, rectoverb, roadster, roadking, subway, blues and now the badlander.

Nope, It's not about wattage. At least not originally, and seemingly not with the Badlander either. It became that way after the Dual Rectifier Solo model became extremely popular, so they discontinued the other Dual Rectifier models (the Heartbreaker, Maverick, and Blue Angel) and pretended they never existed. But that whole line was Dual Rectifier because it had switchable Silicone or Tube rectification. (except the Blue Angel... it didn't actually have the switch despite being part of the Dual Rectifier line).

So then after the Solo became huge, the rebranded the whole Rectifier to just be different versions of the Solo (Removerb, rectoverb, roadster, road king, etc. Subway and Blues aren't actually part of the rectifier lineup.). And then they made a Single Rectifier Solo at 50w, which only had one type of rectifier. But people assumed it was because of wattage to they leaned into it and made the Triple Rectifier 150w despite only having two types of rectification. So you're right, eventually they drank their own kool-aid and made it reference wattage because of the confusion the single/dual caused being 50w/100w. But because the Badlander is just called "rectifier" at both 50w and 100w they're back to refering to the Rectification types.

In other words: Everything is made up and nothing matters. 🙃

5U4GB's in parallel don't really sag, I should have said "spongy" switch which is on the label. The slightly lower voltage "variac" switch engaged along with the "spongy" switch alter the extreme highs and lows for an audibly smoother response, but not sagging like a tweed deluxe with a 5Y3 rectifier.
It also makes zero sense to use 1N4007 diodes in 2020 when there's far improved technology such as hexfreds, which remove most of the nasty and clearly audible hash of 1N4007s and you can use less filtering which opens up an amp's response.
Not sure why you wanted to blow me up over an opinion, which by the way I can solve myself in the potential model by turning the sag knob up slightly and lowering the voltage slightly in the power settings of the AXE.
potato_masher.jpg
Go mash potatoes.

I've built quite a few amps, and I hear no audible difference between hexfreds or 1n4007. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is none, and I'd bet money nobody can tell in a double blind test. That's why Mesa uses 1n4007s even in its "high end" amps such as Mark V and Recto in all its many variations. If there was "hash" because of this, the likes of John Petrucci would have told them to remove it.

You also can't use "less filtering" no matter which diodes you use. Most of that filtering capacitance filters out 60Hz hum. For high frequency content there's usually a 0.1uF film cap in parallel with electrolytics to filter that out as well, at least in well designed amps. Mesa uses 0.047uF, about half that. The reason why "less filtering" might be desirable is because it creates greater voltage sag in a cranked amp. This is an accidental "feature" of older Marshalls where ol' Jim wanted to save a buck (or a quid as the case might be) and didn't install enough capacitance in the power supply.

And yes, 5U4 recrifiers do sag, even in parallel. Per the spec sheet, each tube drops 50V at 275ma, which yields resistance of about 182 ohms. This will vary with current slightly, but not as much as to be audible even with the golden-est of ears. So 90 ohms for two in parallel then. You could even make sag adjustable for about $2 by adding a simple MOSFET-based sag circuit if you use diodes.

BTW, the "variac" mode in Mesa amps means quite literally what it says on the tin - it is accomplished by way of having a separate tap on the mains side of the power transformer (the "primary"). The entire amp save for the switching circuits (which are voltage-stabilized) is in effect under-volted in this mode. This does affect the tube rectifier somewhat, of course, its plate resistance goes up due to not enough heater voltage, but that too could easily be accounted for with a different resistance in series with the diodes, or the aforementioned MOSFET sag technique.

The goal here isn't to "blow you up", the goal is to share knowledge.

Forward voltage drop of 50v @ 550mA is not "sagging" in a dual recto that no one can turn up past 3 and there's so much energy storage in the filter caps that it would never compress. I doubt it drops anything which is probably why they added the voltage switch. 6L6 max plate current is like 200mA or something but Mesa runs them cold anyway.
Sagging as a guitarist in the wishlist section of a tube amp modeler forum is the inability of the power supply to charge in time partially thanks to tube recto forward voltage drop, to catch up with your Keith Richards strumming on open G on a tweed deluxe with a 5Y3 and a 20uF filter cap.
The dual recto was not designed for sag or it would have a second power supply or a mosfet compressor as you say, or use less robust recto tubes.
However with the tube rectifiers and variac switch engaged it sounds pretty cool.
You knew that already since you built quite a few amps, you're just being awful trying to prove who knows what, that I have wrong opinions or am spreading disinfo that 685 people at the moment have possibly read? Or are hoping for some drama.
1N4007 as absolute trash remains my opinion even if John Petrucci doesn't think so. He's not my real dad.

Back
Top Bottom