Memory management in IR's

dumbeat

Inspired
Hi-

Are the muted Cabs take up memory ?
(i know that blocks do, even If they are muted, in order to prevent memory overload).

There is no way to not instantiate a cab in the can slots, so i was wondering what's the suggested workflow on that. Install a very "small" memory consuming cab where you don't need one at all and mute it...?

Are the muted Cabs take up memory ?
(i know that blocks do, even If they are muted, in order to prevent memory overload).

There is no way to not instantiate a cab in the can slots, so i was wondering what's the suggested workflow on that. Install a very "small" memory consuming cab where you don't need one at all and mute it...?

Bro... you post like 104 questions per day seeking the ideal answer to your tonal quest, and none of us know what outcome you seek to achieve by your question. Nor have you posted any clips of your existing tones, tones you specifically seek (unless I missed it totally possible), or recordings of you using the Axe-FX III.

No offense meant seriously: just throwing it out there that you're like a kid in a candy shop asking for all the ingredients and nutrition facts for each piece of candy in there. Not a bag, a bar, or any bulk candy, I'm saying every single piece... of candy...

If I had to be predictive, you are testing out cab IRs? Yes, a CAB block in a signal chain not being active consumes CPU to some degree. With the power of the Axe-FX III, this should not be a concern.

In the odd case I'm correct that you're testing out cab IRs, have channel A be a cab, B be a cab, C be a cab, and D be a cab in your CAB block and keep it active switching channels in the cab block.

As Obi-Wan told you at Mos Eisley, "what the frick kind of fricken droids are you looking for bro?"

Muting the cabs reduces the CPU load. Simply click and unclick M and you will see the change occur.
Similar with the S (solo) button. If you engage the S button on one cab with the other cabs unmuted, the CPU is reduced.

(i know that blocks do, even If they are muted, in order to prevent memory overload)
The blocks in the grid are either active or bypassed, not muted. If you bypass the cab block in the grid, the CPU remains the same. Only when you mute/unmute or solo a cab within the cab block mixer is the CPU affected.

This is also explained in the manual... @dumbeat

It would serve you well and prevent redundant questions if you simply read the manual and then ask questions that come up that aren’t covered in the manual.

With all due respect, RTFM (read the fractal manual) :)

Als

I read the manual. It states to the best of my knowledge that once something is instatiatef the memory considers it active so you do not attempt to load more stuff and than activate it all and overload the memory. So this question is in place
And what if i was adhd to the point of not being able to read the whole thing!

Quite frankly im stating to get tired of some of the members stinky attitude.
I would appreciate if you unfollow me. No one asked for your lecture. Be someone elses dad. I see why thos board has such bad name in the business. A few really terrible members in it.

Probably gonna sell the unit. The community made me wanna go elswhere.

You're confusing terminology; memory and cpu are different things. Memory is what's holding the firmware, IRs and settings; cpu is processing power and how many blocks / IRs / modifiers you can run at once.

What you're asking is stated in the manual under the cab block and tips about CPU load.

I'm really not trying to cop an attitude, but help; I'm sorry that you're perceiving advice on helping yourself as a "stinky attitude." Honestly, I'm sensing some disingenuousness and ego, otherwise you'd be appreciative of any help and could forget what doesn't help.

As Doctor Seuss eloquently said: "Be as you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Last edited:
whoever wants to help does so. The others just give a ton of attitude and lectures. A lot of snobbery and intimidation going on.
Ive had it.

People are people; accept them as they are or there is always the ignore option. Just like "real-life."

If you want to give up the greatest processing gift to guitarists in our lifetime, that's on you brother man.

Peace Joy and Love

To answer the rest of your question @dumbeat there is a "simple cab" block, it is the IR loader block that will load a single IR and with no preamp module. I don't have my unit in front of me so I can't tell how much CPU it uses compared to a single cab but you can check this out easily.
Cheers and stick around. I like your questions! (most of them ;))

Back
Top Bottom