MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

The Beat Buddy is like any other drum machine or sequencer, if you would like to start or stop with remote midi control you need to use these system real time messages, the drum machine provides continuous midi clock for syncing other devices . Using a looper is fun but when you can stop and start on the fly with a drum machine, you have the capabilities of a one man band.
The BeatBuddy excepts cc, note, clk, start and stop midi commands as a master or slave, and has become very popular at NAMM show and with guitar players. BeatBuddy Midi manual pdf available on line.
Thank you for your consideration

Thanks for sharing @bobmichigan ! We'll include the real time messages into the firmware.

I already own an ancient Lake Butler Midi Mitigator, a somewhat bulky foot controller with a huge external supply. With special software to give me, toggle switch functions . . . but
The Morningstar MC-6 does all the main operations I need and it is extremely compact for its capabilities, plus it is powered thru the midi cable!
Time to streamline my setup and purchase this very cool midi controller

We recently released a new firmware. Just sharing an overview of some of the key new features.

Other features not in the video:
  • New midi types like Conditional if-else messages for each preset based on long press or switch release events, PC toggle, PC scrolling, System Real Time
  • Connect an iPad and send MIDI PC, CC and Note messages out via 5pin from your favorite iPad app. I really like the S1MidiTrigger with its XY pad and easy custom editing options.
  • Exclusive expression settings per bank. Need a global setting? Just hold down [Copy] and paste it to all the banks.
  • Web editor now edits for expression inputs as well.
  • Bank names!

Thanks for the support thus far and always glad to receive any feedback :)

Last edited:

We just added Tuner support for the AxeFX on the Morningstar MC6. Not an "official" firmware release, but for those who wants to use/try it, the file can be found here.

You'll find the option as [Ext Tuner] under the midi types. Set your Number1:Value1 to activate your tuner, and Number2:Value2 to deactivate your tuner. Remember to enable real time sysex on your AxeFX.

Cheers!

Last edited:
In fact the top is the MC-6 for my AX-8, small question on 6 switch es that I can program them like this:
Switch 1 Amp Switch Boost ON OFF
Switch 2 Volume Increase
Switch 3 Volume Decrease
Switch 3 ON OFF Delay
Switch 4 ON OFF Drive
Switch 5 I do not know yet
Switch 6 I do not know yet
Wha Pedal 1
Volume Pedal 2 Amp
Thank you for your help

In fact the top is the MC-6 for my AX-8, small question on 6 switch es that I can program them like this:
Switch 2 Volume Increase
Switch 3 Volume Decrease
Switch 3 ON OFF Delay
Switch 4 ON OFF Drive
Wha Pedal 1
Volume Pedal 2 Amp
Thank you for your help
Just a hint. You have two times Switch 3.

"Extend the controller with a low cost slave controller (It's just a T, R and T+R controller) and get 12 switches in total"

Do you have a link where I can check out the "low cost slave controller" that you mention in post #69. Also, the rotaries - haven't been able to locate them or anything like them ...

Switch 2 Volume Increase
Switch 3 Volume Decrease
Switch 3 ON OFF Delay
Switch 4 ON OFF Drive
Wha Pedal 1
Volume Pedal 2 Amp
Thank you for your help

Yeah you could do all those! I believe we have answered your email regarding this :) Just to add, you could save on switch space by using the "Conditional" functions, and do stuff like: PRESS and RELEASE switch 3 to ON Drive, and PRESS and HOLD switch 3 to OFF Drive.

"Extend the controller with a low cost slave controller (It's just a T, R and T+R controller) and get 12 switches in total"

Do you have a link where I can check out the "low cost slave controller" that you mention in post #69. Also, the rotaries - haven't been able to locate them or anything like them ...

We have not drawn up a schematic for the aux controller yet. But it is basically wired like this:

FS300.gif

You could put 2 of these circuits into an enclosure. For the rotaries, it is basically a 10k potentiometer with the TIP wired to the WIPER. Do note that each expression input can only be used either with an Aux switcher OR a expression controller. For my personal aux controller, I've the rotary controls and switches in one enclsoure, and 2 toggle switches to switch each expression input between the aux switch and the rotary expression control.

We're looking into making a powered 8 switch controller for the MC6, so you could have dedicated Bank Up/Down controls along with the additional 6 switches, and then you could have your expression inputs still available for the expression pedals. We're doing our best to keep the price down for this.

Hey guys,

Long term lurker here – but given I’m a kind of early adopter of the MC6 and there’s a heap of interest, I thought I’d show you how I’m using it – hopefully we can share a few cool ideas/tips/tricks on how to get the most out of the unit.

My setup is the MC6 + an AMT mini expression pedal + 2 button non-latching footswitch + BOSS TU-2. I power via Phantom Power from my Axe FX2. It’s all on a Pedaltrain Nano+. As you can see, I could have just as well used a smaller board.

My sound is based on one main preset that can morph between my clean (TX Clean) and heavy sound (VH4) via an expression pedal. So the below switch plan keeps things simple and intuitive for my needs:

SWITCH A (short press): SCENE 1 – Heavy with Morph --> Main Rhythm where the expression pedal morphs clean//heavy
SWITCH A (long press) : SCENE 2 – Heavy with Wah --> Main Rhythm where the expression pedal auto-engages (medium speed setting on the Axe) to control the Wah Block
SWITCH B: MLTYDLY1 block on/off on any Scene
SWITCH C: SCENE 3 – Solo --> Heavy sound with boost, short delay and comp, expression pedal controls Wah Block
SWITCH D: SCENE 4 – Sitar --> Ambient clean with uni-vibe, long delay, expression pedal disengaged.
SWITCH E: SCENE 5 – Heavy with Uni-vibe --> Main Rhythm with uni-vibe, expression pedal controls Morph
SWITCH F: SCENE 6 – Heavy with Flanger --> Main Rhythm with Flanger, expression pedal controls Morph
=================================================================
AUX SWITCH 1 (short press): SCENE 8 – Overdrive --> Clean, with Drive Block and long delay
AUX SWITCH 1 (long press): DRIVE1 block on/off on any Scene
AUX SWITCH 2: Swap Presets --> alternate between my main preset and a special fx preset

To top things off; I set the bank above to control things like Preset UP, Preset DOWN, Vol UP, Vol DOWN and jump to specific presets. I access the bank above by pressing Switch B+C together ;)

Still a work in progress, but this simple setup gives me about 22 different options. I could set up the AXE-FX Tuner on with a long press on one of the switches, but, I prefer using the TU-2 (and don’t want to use a 2nd midi cable).

I've attached a few pics (sorry for the poor quality, but you'll get the idea) – I’ll also try doing a video shortly to run through the mechanics.

IMG_8150.JPG IMG_8141.JPG IMG_8150.JPG IMG_8141.JPGIMG_8142.JPG

Hope you find this helpful. End of the day, the MC6 replaced my MFC101 with 2 expression pedals and now…..my back thanks me for it – highly recommended!

Thanks for sharing @ishan82 ! Just FYI, since you are using a 2 switch external aux controller, you can step on both aux switches together to call another preset (if you're comfortable with that:p)

Back
Top Bottom