MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

I haven't experimented with this phantom power thing yet and am not sure if you can feed a DC signal into the AxeFX phantom in. If you are sure it can work, just email me your specifications instead of ordering from the web-store. Let me know which pins (6 and 7) is DC +ve/-ve. It can't be on the official MC6 specifications, so it's like me doing the mod for you.

Regarding the MIDI knobs, I've got space to add two knobs at the side as a modification, and the knobs can be active when nothing is plugged into the expression input. I'm staying pretty lean now with this and not committed to any large production order so such mods are still possible. Happy to hear these suggestions!

Last edited:
If you ever decide to venture into additional products, I'd love to see one with mostly knobs (maybe just a couple buttons to bank up/dn). The form factor, the screen, and the UI are great, and I'll likely be adding one to my board here soon. But I'm also in the market for a midi CC/exp knob controller in pedal form.

But what if you fed the back of the Axe with a 9VDC power source? Would this work?

I getting close to pulling the trigger but would hold off if phantom power became an option in the future.
I was speaking to the guy at MorningStar and he said he can add a seven pin midi input to the back of the pedal.

This means we could use a 9 V DC adaptor and feed it from the AxeFX.

I just need to figure out which pins are the positive and negative on a seven pin midi cable, then he will wire up the pedal accordingly with a seven pin midi input.

I was speaking to the guy at MorningStar and he said he can add a seven pin midi input to the back of the pedal.

This means we could use a 9 V DC adaptor and feed it from the AxeFX.

I just need to figure out which pins are the positive and negative on a seven pin midi cable, then he will wire up the pedal accordingly with a seven pin midi input.

Don't need to figure out..

We'll add the bridge rectifier as a standard in the next batch so you can use it with AC/DC power in pins 6/7~! :)

My MC6+ arrived and it is awesome. One question for those who know more about midi than I do (which is like everyone on the planet)--is there a way to control the AxeFX looper volume with the MC6?

There are times when I would like to adjust volume/set my loops deeper in the mix.

My MC6+ arrived and it is awesome. One question for those who know more about midi than I do (which is like everyone on the planet)--is there a way to control the AxeFX looper volume with the MC6?

There are times when I would like to adjust volume/set my loops deeper in the mix.

Glad to hear! Others who have spent more time with the AxeFX and MC-6 would be familiar. Perhaps @Max Haze would know :)

Do you have the black faceplate ones ready yet?

Yeah! We've started selling the those.

Also, the phantom powered option will be in the shop by this weekend.

You can attach a modifier to the Mix parameter on the Looper block, which is the mix of your live playing against the looper volume. There is also a Dub Mix parameter (that can also have a modifier), and that controls the balance of each overdub against an existing loop recording.

Generally speaking, controlling a mix parameter would be best suited with a knob or expression pedal. You can hook up to 2 expression pedals to the MC6+, and of course you have all the pedal inputs on the Axe itself.

But it sounds like you're looking for a footswitch solution. The easiest setup is to use the "Control Change Toggle Value" MIDI Type on the MC6+. On the Axe, choose which "External Controller" you'd like to use. Let's assume you choose External Controller 5, because 1-4 are usually used for Axe/MFC pedal ports. Let's also assume you keep the CC assignment for External Controller 5 at the default, which is CC #20.

On the MC6+, create a preset and call it "Looper Level". Start with these settings:
  • Type = "Control Change Toggle Value"
  • Number = 20
  • V1 = 0
  • V2 = 127
  • Channel = 1, assuming you've left Axe MIDI channel at the default
On the Axe, edit the Looper Block and page over to the Mix tab. Select the Mix parameter and hit Enter to add a modifier. Start with these modifier settings:
  • Source = Extern 5
  • Min = 40%
  • Max = 50%
  • Damp = 500ms
  • leave all other parameters at default (or adjust as desired)
What this will do is create a footswitch on the MC6+ that, when pressed, will cut the Looper volume by about 2-3dB or so. It will smoothly fade to the new volume (that's the Damp setting). When pressed again, it will fade to the original volume. You can adjust the Min and Max values of the modifier to taste. 50% is the default looper mix, which means the loop is as loud as the live signal.

You could also run the Looper block in parallel to your main path on the grid, set the Mix at 100%, and attach the modifier to the Looper Block Level parameter instead.

If you were actually looking for an expression pedal solution, then you can hook your pedal up to the MC6+, and assign it to CC# 20 instead of creating the footswitch preset above. The Axe modifier settings would be the same, although you would set the Damp parameter to 0ms if you want the volume to respond in real time to your pedal movements.

You can attach a modifier to the Mix parameter on the Looper block, which is the mix of your live playing against the looper volume. There is also a Dub Mix parameter (that can also have a modifier), and that controls the balance of each overdub against an existing loop recording.

Generally speaking, controlling a mix parameter would be best suited with a knob or expression pedal. You can hook up to 2 expression pedals to the MC6+, and of course you have all the pedal inputs on the Axe itself.

But it sounds like you're looking for a footswitch solution. The easiest setup is to use the "Control Change Toggle Value" MIDI Type on the MC6+. On the Axe, choose which "External Controller" you'd like to use. Let's assume you choose External Controller 5, because 1-4 are usually used for Axe/MFC pedal ports. Let's also assume you keep the CC assignment for External Controller 5 at the default, which is CC #20.

On the MC6+, create a preset and call it "Looper Level". Start with these settings:
  • Type = "Control Change Toggle Value"
  • Number = 20
  • V1 = 0
  • V2 = 127
  • Channel = 1, assuming you've left Axe MIDI channel at the default
On the Axe, edit the Looper Block and page over to the Mix tab. Select the Mix parameter and hit Enter to add a modifier. Start with these modifier settings:
  • Source = Extern 5
  • Min = 40%
  • Max = 50%
  • Damp = 500ms
  • leave all other parameters at default (or adjust as desired)
What this will do is create a footswitch on the MC6+ that, when pressed, will cut the Looper volume by about 2-3dB or so. It will smoothly fade to the new volume (that's the Damp setting). When pressed again, it will fade to the original volume. You can adjust the Min and Max values of the modifier to taste. 50% is the default looper mix, which means the loop is as loud as the live signal.

You could also run the Looper block in parallel to your main path on the grid, set the Mix at 100%, and attach the modifier to the Looper Block Level parameter instead.

If you were actually looking for an expression pedal solution, then you can hook your pedal up to the MC6+, and assign it to CC# 20 instead of creating the footswitch preset above. The Axe modifier settings would be the same, although you would set the Damp parameter to 0ms if you want the volume to respond in real time to your pedal movements.
What an incredible post! Thanks for the guidance. I'll experiment and report back. Thanks again!

Great explanation @philipacamaniac ! I need to put that in my FAQ if you don't mind... :)

Where can I buy? I didn't see the option on your website.

You must be viewing it from a mobile device. I'm still optimizing the site so the store isn't in the mobile view yet (I'll add it later today). If you view it on a PC, you will find the store there. Feel free to drop me a msg if you have any questions ~

Great explanation @philipacamaniac ! I need to put that in my FAQ if you don't mind... :)

Now I just need to buy one to test it out...

There's almost room on my board for one. It would also give me me the connections needed to build a 5-expression-knob box and one foot expression pedal to my AX8 (4 inputs on AX8 + 2 inputs on MC6+). Hmmm.

Can the MC6 banks be selected externally (say, via MIDI PC from another device)? Sub-question: can an MC6 preset be set to autotrigger when a bank is selected?

Now I just need to buy one to test it out...

There's almost room on my board for one. It would also give me me the connections needed to build a 5-expression-knob box and one foot expression pedal to my AX8 (4 inputs on AX8 + 2 inputs on MC6+). Hmmm.

Can the MC6 banks be selected externally (say, via MIDI PC from another device)? Sub-question: can an MC6 preset be set to autotrigger when a bank is selected?

The MC6's midi receive is really just a midi thru for now. The current firmware is working very well but we're re-writing the firmware now to incorporate more features into the controller, such as 6 + 2 presets (6 presets on each switch, and then 2 more when dual switches are stepped), and a local exp setting for each bank (probably doing away with the global exp parameters). External midi control capability is also on the list. That would most certainly extend the switching capabilities just by connecting a separate low cost midi controller. If there are any other suggestions now's the time to shout out;)

There's no auto-trigger function when the banks are changed. What's the intended use for that?

Back
Top Bottom