Matrix NL12: Worthy replacement for Mesa EVM12L 1x12 Thiele?

LostInSpace

Inspired
So as a New Year's resolution I've decided to place my rig on a "diet", and see if it can lose a few pounds and still sound great. I've been very happy using the AxeII in 4CM with a Mesa Mark IIC+ for a few years now, except for the weight. Over time, I've been using more and more of the Axe as preamp instead of the Mesa, so I reached the point where I felt I could get away without the Mesa combo, which is quite heavy. I acquired a Matrix GT1000FX and paired it with a Mesa EVM12L loaded 1x12 Thiele cabinet that I have, and got very good tone. That change saved me about 20 pounds. The Mesa cab is still pretty heavy, around 40lbs or so, and I've been looking at the 16 ohm Matrix NL12 as a possible replacement to shed another 20 pounds.

My question is whether or not the NL12 is a reasonable lightweight replacement for the EVM12L cab. A little background on how I use it for context... my rig is mic'ed for FOH, so the cab is my stage monitor. Still, I need a cab that can compete with a rock drummer and also sounds good close-mic'ed. I'm not ready for FRFR; I prefer real cabs, and I like the EVM12L because although it's obviously not flat, it has a nice generic quality that sounds good with a lot of different tones. I've read very good things about the NL12 so far, but I've also read elsewhere that folks have been searching for a lightweight EVM12L replacement for a long time, to no avail. Opinions?

Your situation sounds like mine. I slowly replaced every part of my rig, with a few things in mind. Weight, maintenance costs and inconsistency of valve gear, size and versatility. I even had similar type questions here. I would recommend the NL12, you won't regret it!

I own a pair of the Mesa Boogie Thiele cabs (with the EVs) and they formed part of the "benchmark" when developing and testing the NL12s out. We think we surpassed them easily with the NL12.

I own a pair of the Mesa Boogie Thiele cabs (with the EVs) and they formed part of the "benchmark" when developing and testing the NL12s out. We think we surpassed them easily with the NL12.

Interesting --no wonder I took to the NL12 like a duck to water

I went from a thiele EVM12L cab (fed by a Matrix GT800) to an NL12 exactly as you're thinking - plus I used to have a Mesa Boogie! (Mk2 head into a Marshall 4x12).

The answer is "Go for it"! It really works.

Did you all do any Q factor adjustments on the NL12 per Cliff's note on Simulating Speaker Impedance Mismatch? IF so what?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. Great to hear from those who have already been down this road. I'll be placing an order.

Just ordered an NL12. I'm excited!! I haven't used anything with the AxeFX-II except for two Marshall 4x12s and a Xitone wedge doing FRFR. I'm really interested to see how the NL12 works with my Matrix GT1000FX and the AxeFX-II. :)

Reactions: LVC
I'm placing an order in a few hours myself. I already did the necessary preparations:

1. Research
2. Checked Finances
3. Acted like a complete kiss-ass when the wife got home from work and avoided any potential arguments prior to the purchase

:)

I ordered mine tonight as well. My preparations were strikingly similar to yours :D.

So does the NL12 sound like a EVM?
I'll definately let you know! I don't necessarily expect it to sound exactly like the EVM, I am just hoping that (possibly with some tweaking with the global EQ) it will sound great with my patches and be versatile like the EVM.

Reactions: LVC
So does the NL12 sound like a EVM?

EVM as a speaker offers players less external coloration and delivers a truer "amp" tone. Probably one of the reasons Dumble picked them early on for his amps.

I think from that persepctive The NL12 delivers an experience similar to an EVM loaded thiele cab (without the weight).

Difference to my ear is that the NL12s are a tad brighter than an EVM loaded thiele cab.

Just ordered an NL12. I'm excited!! I haven't used anything with the AxeFX-II except for two Marshall 4x12s and a Xitone wedge doing FRFR. I'm really interested to see how the NL12 works with my Matrix GT1000FX and the AxeFX-II. :)

So you took my advice and bought one so you can share your results with me, eh? Haha! Well, thanks man! :) I'll look forward to hear what you think of the NL12. You might get me to also place an order. ;)

I really liked my EVM sound, but bought the NL12 as a lightweight option, and to see if it could reproduce passable Cab sim ON patches (it does). But the EVM thiele cabs are very sensitive (as in loud), so still get used (as an addition) when seriously loud is a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom