Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

so is it really necessary to buy the Nl212s instead of their cab design or would i have the same sound solution when i put 2 celestion vintage century speakers in each of my Marshall cab.....

The NLs are "tuned cabs" designed for this specific application.

By placing similar speakers in a different cab (i.e. Marshall 4x12) your results will be different.

Hi everyone, 2 questions: I'm also looking for a new speaker solution. Currently i'm running my Axefx with a Matrix Gt1000 into two Marshall 4x12 cabs with T75sand V30s in X pattern. That sounds good so far but I'm not satisfied enough. So i had the thought about 2 Nl212s but here is the question, i also want to deeflexx my amps in the future Hoovi so is it really necessary to buy the Nl212s instead of their cab design or would i have the same sound solution when i put 2 celestion vintage century speakers in each of my Marshall cab.....because i just like the look of my 4x12s on stage.....@ tonic: heard that you used these vintage century speakers in cabs before but you weren't satisfied? What do you think?!

I'm not a big fan of these speakers in a guitar cab.
I have had them in a 4x12 and it was dry, cold and lifeless.
In Matrix cabs (due to design) I prefer them but only for my axe fx rig.
I really dont like them with my tube amps (Bogner, Mesa, two rock...)

tyzehyra.jpg
azuzytup.jpg

Used my Matrix GT1000FX and NL212 last night with a Mackie HD1221 wedge...the cleans sounded great, you could hear every pickup selection clearly. My crunch/lead sounds need a little tweaking as they were a little dark sounding but it won't take a lot to get them to where I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like the look of the 4x12 and are happy to carry them round, then stay with them!

Deeflex - £279 each!! Think I'll make one ... Seriously, I know there's a lot of R&D goes into these things, but when the price is soooo high only rock stars can buy them, then WTF?

Nice!

Where you running FOH as well?

tyzehyra.jpg
azuzytup.jpg

Used my Matrix GT1000FX and NL212 last night with a Mackie HD1221 wedge...the cleans sounded great, you could hear every pickup selection clearly. My crunch/lead sounds need a little tweaking as they were a little dark sounding but it won't take a lot to get them to where I like it.

Hi everyone, 2 questions: I'm also looking for a new speaker solution. Currently i'm running my Axefx with a Matrix Gt1000 into two Marshall 4x12 cabs with T75sand V30s in X pattern. That sounds good so far but I'm not satisfied enough. So i had the thought about 2 Nl212s but here is the question, i also want to deeflexx my amps in the future Hoovi so is it really necessary to buy the Nl212s instead of their cab design or would i have the same sound solution when i put 2 celestion vintage century speakers in each of my Marshall cab.....because i just like the look of my 4x12s on stage.....@ tonic: heard that you used these vintage century speakers in cabs before but you weren't satisfied? What do you think?!

Maybe something like the "Mitchell Doughnuts" may be something to explore. Do a google search on them, they apparently work well.

When we built the NL12, we spent "some time" building prototypes, adjusting cab volumes, adjusting port area and port length ... and the different woods available .. and before you ask, no, all the panels in the NL12 and 212 are not made from the same stuff!

If you then add to that the various drivers we tried (hint: to anyone who has been to the factory, the test driver rack is the one behind the door as you go through to speaker final assembly ) including getting drivers built specially, with slight tweaks from the standard recipe ... there's a lot of variables.

I forget how long that whole process took now ... it was at least 6 months, numerous afternoons of sound testing with known musicians, blind tests where we got them to play visually identical cabs and choose the one they liked etc. We only finally signed it off when all the testing panel consistently picked the same design as being "best".

If you think you can take a standard off-the-shelf driver, stick it in totally different cabinet and get the same results ... then you will most likely be disappointed. You may of course find yourself a winning combination, if so well done, but the chances of it sounding the same as our cab, are minimal. That said, there is nothing wrong with experimenting, its fun and you get some interesting reults, sometimes you might even like them ;) Saying "I didn't like these speakers in a guitar cab" isn't really relevant to what we do though, as it certainly isn't the same cab, or made from the same woods, or even necessarily exactly the same driver.

It does wobble and the keyboard player is half blind so I tend to guard it with my life! I don't want to add more gear to my setup with another stand so it's a bit of a compromise.

When we built the NL12, we spent "some time" building prototypes, adjusting cab volumes, adjusting port area and port length ... and the different woods available .. and before you ask, no, all the panels in the NL12 and 212 are not made from the same stuff!

If you then add to that the various drivers we tried (hint: to anyone who has been to the factory, the test driver rack is the one behind the door as you go through to speaker final assembly ) including getting drivers built specially, with slight tweaks from the standard recipe ... there's a lot of variables.

I forget how long that whole process took now ... it was at least 6 months, numerous afternoons of sound testing with known musicians, blind tests where we got them to play visually identical cabs and choose the one they liked etc. We only finally signed it off when all the testing panel consistently picked the same design as being "best".

If you think you can take a standard off-the-shelf driver, stick it in totally different cabinet and get the same results ... then you will most likely be disappointed. You may of course find yourself a winning combination, if so well done, but the chances of it sounding the same as our cab, are minimal. That said, there is nothing wrong with experimenting, its fun and you get some interesting reults, sometimes you might even like them ;) Saying "I didn't like these speakers in a guitar cab" isn't really relevant to what we do though, as it certainly isn't the same cab, or made from the same woods, or even necessarily exactly the same driver.

Another plan foiled!!! Damn...

I'm so tempted to drop one of those Century Vintage speakers into one of my 1x12 cabs, but I knew something like this was lurking around the corner.... I'm sure there's 100% difference between the NL cab and just dropping an off the shelf version of this speaker into a standard cabinet. Celestion touts this speaker as a super-fast attack...ideal for high speed players.... high gain.. and clean country. However, what's odd is they don't claim any extended frequency range etc. I know this is NOT an FRFR speaker, but the extended range phrase has been used around here.

I'm a bit confused as to how this cab works... I know, that may sound like a dumb statement, but I've been reading how this isn't an FRFR cab, but it's also not a typical guitar cab either. I remember when I got my AFX, I tried running it through my 2x12 Greenback cab (with cabs turned on and off), and it always sounded pretty poor, to say the least. Once I had Mick over at Xitone build me a FRFR cab, everything sounds really good. So, what exactly is this doing to make the Axe sound so good?

Also, I've heard that with this cab, you should be turning off your cab/mic simulation as well. I suppose this cab has a tone of its own, but if so, aren't you losing a lot of the Axe's ability to create tonal texture through the use of cabs, mics, etc.?? I suppose if you're the kind of player that is content with one tone, then I suppose that's not an issue, but I always saw the Axe as a way to break free of all that and be able to have an unlimited selection of cabs, amps and of course... tones. I was always told that in order to use the AFX to it's maximum potential, I should be going FRFR. I'm just curious as to why this solution works. :)

I don't own, nor have I tried this cab, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I *think* the reason this cab is getting it's props is it's a real guitar cab, yet it doesn't impose the "coloring" the typical guitar cabs do (like your Greenback 2x12). Some folks don't like the "sound" or "feel" or FRFR. I personally don't mind FRFR, but I enjoy real guitar cabs better. The sound and feel of a real guitar cab in the room is different than the modeled cab/mic FRFR. It's just a matter of choice... I'm anxious to try one of these b/c I'm liking my real cabs better than FRFR, but I want a more neutral sounding cab so the amp qualities are not colored as much by a typical speaker.

I don't own, nor have I tried this cab, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I *think* the reason this cab is getting it's props is it's a real guitar cab, yet it doesn't impose the "coloring" the typical guitar cabs do (like your Greenback 2x12). Some folks don't like the "sound" or "feel" or FRFR. I personally don't mind FRFR, but I enjoy real guitar cabs better. The sound and feel of a real guitar cab in the room is different than the modeled cab/mic FRFR. It's just a matter of choice... I'm anxious to try one of these b/c I'm liking my real cabs better than FRFR, but I want a more neutral sounding cab so the amp qualities are not colored as much by a typical speaker.

Yep these cabs are special -- that is all I can say. What ever magic formula these guys came up with --- it works. However, these cabs are spoilers ... once you start using them you will have a hard time (at least for me) using a monitor again. However that being said, I would love to try their new FR212.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty amazing to me.

Even with a Youtube video the tone wants to jump out and grab you.

The bottom end is just amazing and it comes through in the video.

these cabs are freaking unreal!

Glad I got on board early in the game :mrgreen

Just messing around with a new preset into a Matrix GT1000FX and NL212 I've just recently purchased...amazeballs! ;)

Sounds good, I'm thinking about going this route. Are you running it in stereo or mono? Also any reason you went with the 1000 versus the 800? My plan was to go with the 800 and single NL212 stereo, but I'm wondering if there might be any phase cancellation issues running it that way. I'd like to hear more samples of the NL212 but there doesn't seem to be too many out there at this point.

Has anyone tried one of these cabs live? I play small clubs and pubs and with the CFR12s I suffer from tweeter squeal on high gain tones. I guess they struggle with the combination of hi gain, hi volume and very close proximity. Would the NFR12 be any better?

Back
Top Bottom