Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

I've got a CLR coming but if that doesn't pan out I'll be trying a couple of these for sure.

Tonic - I apologize if this has been asked before, but since you have both the 212 and the 12, how would you compare the increased bass and overall oomph of the 212 vs. the 12? I would obviously expect the 212 to have more punch etc. but is it twice as much as the NL12? Or maybe only 1.5x as much? I hope this question makes sense... I'm on the fence about getting one 212, or 2 of the 12's. Also, have you tried the 212 in stereo mode? How do your stereo patches translate inside one box?

Tonic - I apologize if this has been asked before, but since you have both the 212 and the 12, how would you compare the increased bass and overall oomph of the 212 vs. the 12? I would obviously expect the 212 to have more punch etc. but is it twice as much as the NL12? Or maybe only 1.5x as much? I hope this question makes sense... I'm on the fence about getting one 212, or 2 of the 12's. Also, have you tried the 212 in stereo mode? How do your stereo patches translate inside one box?

I dont have tried the stéréo mode in the NL212 but That should sound great.
The NL12 has some punch but the 212 is better for high gain, Palm muting,...
It sounds wider in frequencies than the NL12.
I prefer the NL12 for clean or light crunch .
I would prefer two NL12 than one NL212 because its more flexible.
If you are more in modern musics then the 212 would sound bigger .
NL12 sounds already big but yeah bass frequencies are huge on the 212!

I dont have tried the stéréo mode in the NL212 but That should sound great.
The NL12 has some punch but the 212 is better for high gain, Palm muting,...
It sounds wider in frequencies than the NL12.
I prefer the NL12 for clean or light crunch .
I would prefer two NL12 than one NL212 because its more flexible.
If you are more in modern musics then the 212 would sound bigger .
NL12 sounds already big but yeah bass frequencies are huge on the 212!

Cool, thanks for the info and genre references... I'm more in the clean to crunch category vs. high gain metal etc... And I do like the idea of 2 12's vs. the 212 with the options to a wide stereo set up or just taking 1 smaller cab to rehearsal etc.

One more question... on all those vids and soundclips are you just using your James Tyler guitar? What model is it?

Thanks!

I've heard you can keep the cab sims on with the NL12. Would I be able to play thru my Xitone FRFR wedge on one side and use an NL12 on the other?

I'm glad you are enjoying the tone and the lack of weight.

But seriously, I'm glad you like it, we worked hard on those to get them right, lots of experiments with cab volume and porting, different woods, different drivers, they all play their part. What we got at the end was something we are very happy with. So far, everyone that tried it, loved it. Its not FRFR, but it does what it does, and if that puts a grin on your face, then we got it right.

Robin, can you give me some more insight as to how the NL212 works in the stereo setting? I have not bothered to rewire my Mesa 2x12 Cab yet to stereo, so this really interests me. I guess any preset we use with the NL212 has to have two cabs prior to the output in the signal chain on the Axe FX? It would also be nice to see a pic of the back of the cab, I like to know and see as many details as possible before I drop $1000 but this cab does seem sweet!
Thanks!

One more question... on all those vids and soundclips are you just using your James Tyler guitar? What model is it?

Thanks!

I m not using my Tyler on Matrix vids.
Guitars used are Suhr modern bengal burst roasted neck aldrich pickups and fender strat custom shop 63 heavy relic.
My Tyler is a burning water 2k

I've heard you can keep the cab sims on with the NL12. Would I be able to play thru my Xitone FRFR wedge on one side and use an NL12 on the other?

Yes some people use cab sims ON but for my use I think it sounds like crap... Dull and unnatural ...
Its a matter of taste but they are not FRFR .

Robin, can you give me some more insight as to how the NL212 works in the stereo setting? I have not bothered to rewire my Mesa 2x12 Cab yet to stereo, so this really interests me. I guess any preset we use with the NL212 has to have two cabs prior to the output in the signal chain on the Axe FX? It would also be nice to see a pic of the back of the cab, I like to know and see as many details as possible before I drop $1000 but this cab does seem sweet!
Thanks!

I'll answer in case Robin has missed this.
You don't necessarily have to have 2 cabs to take advantage of the Axe's stereo capability. If you run any stereo effects after the cab block then the preset will be stereo (as long as stereo output is selected in the I/O menu). You can of course run a different cab sim for the left and right speaker as well if you choose to combine and blend different tones. (Something I've always done myself)
As far as the rear switch is concerned, we've designed it so that obviously not only will it switch between stereo and mono mode but also, if you accidentally leave the speaker output connected to the stereo input and switch to mono mode, it kills the second input jack and thus saves feeding the output back to the amp. This saves killing the amp.

I'll answer in case Robin has missed this.
You don't necessarily have to have 2 cabs to take advantage of the Axe's stereo capability. If you run any stereo effects after the cab block then the preset will be stereo (as long as stereo output is selected in the I/O menu). You can of course run a different cab sim for the left and right speaker as well if you choose to combine and blend different tones. (Something I've always done myself)
As far as the rear switch is concerned, we've designed it so that obviously not only will it switch between stereo and mono mode but also, if you accidentally leave the speaker output connected to the stereo input and switch to mono mode, it kills the second input jack and thus saves feeding the output back to the amp. This saves killing the amp.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

How are you guys running to FoH? A few have said that you're running direct with IRs, which sounds like the best way. Do you then use the same IR for all presets or do you mix IR's sent to FoH and just have the same sound in the NL cab for your own monitor?

How are you guys running to FoH? A few have said that you're running direct with IRs, which sounds like the best way. Do you then use the same IR for all presets or do you mix IR's sent to FoH and just have the same sound in the NL cab for your own monitor?

I use the same IRs for FOH in all of my presets with the same GEQ too, because I am trying to send the same that I hear from my NL212 but... it is not easy. I am still looking for the best solution.

Most people I would assume use the closest sounding cab to their own and use the FX block trick at the end of the chain to monitor themselves through the real cab whilst still sending the cab sims to FOH. If you have the facility to do it, take an IR of your own cab and use that for FOH...instant mic'd up cab.

Most people I would assume use the closest sounding cab to their own and use the FX block trick at the end of the chain to monitor themselves through the real cab whilst still sending the cab sims to FOH. If you have the facility to do it, take an IR of your own cab and use that for FOH...instant mic'd up cab.

It would be great having an IR of the NL212!!

I use the same IRs for FOH in all of my presets with the same GEQ too, because I am trying to send the same that I hear from my NL212 but... it is not easy. I am still looking for the best solution.

Yes, that’s what I would have thought is the best solution.

So basically we need someone to make an IR of the NL212 :)

Hi everyone, 2 questions: I'm also looking for a new speaker solution. Currently i'm running my Axefx with a Matrix Gt1000 into two Marshall 4x12 cabs with T75sand V30s in X pattern. That sounds good so far but I'm not satisfied enough. So i had the thought about 2 Nl212s but here is the question, i also want to deeflexx my amps in the future Hoovi so is it really necessary to buy the Nl212s instead of their cab design or would i have the same sound solution when i put 2 celestion vintage century speakers in each of my Marshall cab.....because i just like the look of my 4x12s on stage.....@ tonic: heard that you used these vintage century speakers in cabs before but you weren't satisfied? What do you think?!

Back
Top Bottom