Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

Tom, I think the confusion has arisen from 60 AF watts versus 60 Metric watts. Don't sweat it, NASA have had similar problems with European/American projects. lol

Tom, I think the confusion has arisen from 60 AF watts versus 60 Metric watts. Don't sweat it, NASA have had similar problems with European/American projects. lol
Thanks for chiming in, NiceChris. Not sweating this at all. Specs and info on our SLR-400 will be made available soon enough that this has no real bearing. I've never heard watts classified in this way regarding any other amps on this forum from Americans or Europeans so that is where my confusion was coming from. It's all good. At this point I don't want to keep posting OT in this thread. Thanks again.:)

-TK

Ahh. I thought they showed off the new 2x12 FRFR cabs as well.. My bad.

My HK setup sounds really great imho, so i may go for some NL`s as a cab option. Sometimes it`s nice to change just for the day ;)

Yes we did show off some new FRFR 2x12 cabs at the LA Amp Show. We've just released the passive ones and they are in the webshop now. They aren't lightweight but are around the same weight as a regular 2x12 but giving a much bigger 4x12 sound. And they look the part too!

Hello Lightningboy! Can you explain why the FRFR cabs have to be so much heavier than the NL-cabs? I am really attracted to the NLs because of the low weight, but I would like to use my cab sims as well :)

EDIT: I should have said "output before clipping". I assumed you amp experts would understand....

QUOTE=Tom King;933724]Oh, OK. I guess you just forgot the "confabulating" part. Sorry for the confusion on my part. When I read 60w I just assumed you meant 60w.:)

-TK[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I have an AC30. Nothing is twice as loud as that - probably not even your new 400 watt rack amp.

Last edited:
More weight on the speakers, i assume.

Is there a time frame on the new (GTDSPM2?) amp? Is this build in the active, and can you get it as a rack amp ala GT-series?

I have a plan on buying first half of next year, so there is no rush.... BUT it´s always cool to dream of something :D

Hello Lightningboy! Can you explain why the FRFR cabs have to be so much heavier than the NL-cabs? I am really attracted to the NLs because of the low weight, but I would like to use my cab sims as well :)

The speakers are in fact Neodynium so not too heavy. The HF driver actually adds quite a lot of the weight. It's more the fact of the cab needs to be much stronger and vibrate less when dealing with the power and pressures that cab can handle.

More weight on the speakers, i assume.

Is there a time frame on the new (GTDSPM2?) amp? Is this build in the active, and can you get it as a rack amp ala GT-series?

I have a plan on buying first half of next year, so there is no rush.... BUT it´s always cool to dream of something :D

The M12 wedges we had at the show will have a separate rackable amp with the DSP built in. Basically they'll serve a dual purpose as pro level stage monitoring and for us guitarists. The pro stage guys tend not to use monitors with built in power units due to weather, beer etc hazards.

The FR212 actives will have an upgraded GM50 module, the GM100 powering it. It'll be a Bi-Amp design and have the DSP in there as well. The white amps we had at the show were for a bit of "bling". No plans to release those as a separate rack unit.

Hi LightningBoy. Is it possible you could say something about the M12 wedges please - and about the "separate rackable amp with the DSP built in"?

I'm saving up for dual purpose PA / Axe FRFR speakers - I'd thought Q12 passives on sticks (or CFRs), using my existing GT800 - after Matt advised me it would be a good pa as well as guitar amp.

But this sounds like an alternative?

I have made some low volume recording with one Nl 212
It sounds still like a new cab and need break in time but it will give you an idea.
Just one mic in front of one speaker (M88 beyer) with different kind of amps.
Triptik clean/modern, Diezel Vh4 channel 3 and 4, Dumble, Friedman HBE/BE, Vibroking, Morgan.

Imagine the sound in the room with two NL 212!
It sounds huge in my bedroom hahah

https://soundcloud.com/tonicstudio/matrix-nl-212-test-with-axe-fx

DOWNLOAD FILE FOR BETTER QUALITY !

Sounds very good. Would you mind sharing the presets?

Hi LightningBoy. Is it possible you could say something about the M12 wedges please - and about the "separate rackable amp with the DSP built in"?

I'm saving up for dual purpose PA / Axe FRFR speakers - I'd thought Q12 passives on sticks (or CFRs), using my existing GT800 - after Matt advised me it would be a good pa as well as guitar amp.

But this sounds like an alternative?

Pm'ed to keep thread on topic.

setup from last night's gig

file_zps74476d71.jpg

So let me ask you guys this. Would I be able to run one side of my Matrix GT1000FX into my Xitone and the other side into a Matrix NL12 cab? Since I can use cab sims on both, I don't imagine it would be a problem. I wonder if it would create a great full tone, similar to hearing a Mesa/Marshall combo that are very different beasts but work when used together.

LVC,
Have you stopped using the Q12a for the most part?
How do the two solutions compare (nl12 vs. q12) ?
Thanks.

Yes I have stopped using the Q12 (passive).

IMO you really can't compare a FRFR solution to a real cab.

apples to oranges

As much as I like the Q12 (hands down my favorite FRFR solution) nothing beats the sound and feel of a real cab - especially one that was designed to work specifically with the Axe.

IMO the NL series cabs powered with the Matrix amp -- takes a modeler (even the best one ever made) and turns it into a real tube amp/cab experience at a gig or at home.

Last edited:
Tonic, I see you are very happy with both the NL12 and the NL212. Did you run any kind of FRFR-solution before? Have you yourself compared the NLs to for example the Q12 or the Atomic CLR?

Cheers

Yes, that watt thing ranks right up there with the metric/SAE hammer confusion. Could happen to anyone, it's an easy thing to overlook.

Yes I have stopped using the Q12 (passive).
As much as I like the Q12 (hands down my favorite FRFR solution) nothing beats the sound and feel of a real cab - especially one that was designed to work specifically with the Axe.

I would certainly agree that FRFR vs. a guitar cab is apples to oranges.
My favorite (at home) solution is my Axe through a 4x12 Mesa cab....and I also love it through a 1x12 Theile cab.

For anyone using the NL12, can you comment on how these compare to other guitar cabs?
In other words, what are the benefits the NL12 offers (when compared to let's say a cab loaded with V30's?.....other than just the weight difference.
Not saying the weight difference isn't enough of a factor for some folks....just wondering what other differences there may be when compared to a traditional guitar cab.

Back
Top Bottom