MATRIX is still in business.

Matrix is still around. The Gt1000 is actually still in stock. Personally I think there are slightly better options today. Fryette or the SD PS700 are better sounding imo and the SD is actually cheaper. The rack mounting is weird although but I can almost get two of them for the price of a matrix. Also, they are a lot more available and reliable. The Fryette's are great sounding - just not so available as the SD.

I’d run from these guys. Their GT1000 fried my two Celestion F12’s. Sent it in for repairs and never heard a word for 2 months. Had to go through PayPal to get a refund. I’ll stick with my Seymour Duncan amp and companies with more than one guy in a garage.

Their stuff is essential for my shows and I am worried that I won't be able to replace something if it goes down while I play in Asia.
I toured with a single GT1000FX for six years and never had an issue. I took it all over the US, Europe, South America, Australia/New Zealand, Japan, China, and the Pacific Rim indoor and outdoor in every climate you can imagine and it always delivered. They’re built really well and my backup unit never had to be used. You should be fine in Asia as long as you’ve got clean power. We always had our power running at 110-120v no matter where we went.

Hi guys,

Matrix is still very much in business at the moment and I'll give you a potted history of what's been happening if you want. So yes there were two factories, one in the UK and one in the US. The US one moved from Ventura up to Idaho. Few different reasons, California costs being one, so Andy bought some land, set up and built a factory up there and also rented some factory space as well. The UK side unfortunately had to close. Basically Brexit and the Pandemic did a double whammy which meant we couldn't keep the UK side running. Robin who was looking after the UK factory is still in the same location and looks after and builds the PA amps that we used to do and runs it as a separate entity. We still do servicing repairs etc in the UK for the UK and EU customers. I'm still in the UK so more often than not when a lot of emails come through I'll be asleep because of the time difference but do get caught up but there is a bit of a lag sometimes. Apologies for that.

So the US side of things is still going. However as I've been explaining to a few customers via emails, we are like many others, at the mercy of the global issues that is causing a massive shortage of parts and supply chain issues. It started during the pandemic and hasn't resolved itself yet and in some cases has got worse. We're seeing backorders on parts now of up to a year! That is why a lot of stock is missing at the moment. We just cannot get a production run sorted as basically it would be half a circuit board only completed. Andy is trying his best on some amps to get ones and twos built up when he can scavenge parts. We luckily bought out pretty much all the remaining stock of MosFets (that we use) in the world and we do have parts that we'll keep for repairs that may arise.
The current stock we have is running low I'm sad to say. That's the 800 and 1000 1U amps.

The bright side is that Andy a couple of years ago decided to start doing his own anodising (as local companies left a bit to be desired) so he set his own facility up. During the pandemic when we could not get materials Andy then started doing work for other companies (most notably a large company involved in weapons accessories). This kept Matrix afloat and still does to a large extent so even when and if the amps run out, Matrix will not cease to be and shuffle off this mortal coil, but thankfully just go into hibernation for a bit, weather out the storms looming and hopefully come back when things clear up.
So that's the current situation. We're here and hope to be for a while. I'll still answer emails even if the amps run dry and we'll still be doing repairs and servicing. Fingers crossed things get better for everyone's sakes but as I say, we'll try and weather the storms even if we have to hibernate for a bit.

John
Hm... sounds like board redesign time to phase in some components that are more readily available, or at least less out of reach. I'm doing exactly that with my tester designs for my employer.

Hi guys,

Matrix is still very much in business at the moment and I'll give you a potted history of what's been happening if you want. So yes there were two factories, one in the UK and one in the US. The US one moved from Ventura up to Idaho. Few different reasons, California costs being one, so Andy bought some land, set up and built a factory up there and also rented some factory space as well. The UK side unfortunately had to close. Basically Brexit and the Pandemic did a double whammy which meant we couldn't keep the UK side running. Robin who was looking after the UK factory is still in the same location and looks after and builds the PA amps that we used to do and runs it as a separate entity. We still do servicing repairs etc in the UK for the UK and EU customers. I'm still in the UK so more often than not when a lot of emails come through I'll be asleep because of the time difference but do get caught up but there is a bit of a lag sometimes. Apologies for that.

So the US side of things is still going. However as I've been explaining to a few customers via emails, we are like many others, at the mercy of the global issues that is causing a massive shortage of parts and supply chain issues. It started during the pandemic and hasn't resolved itself yet and in some cases has got worse. We're seeing backorders on parts now of up to a year! That is why a lot of stock is missing at the moment. We just cannot get a production run sorted as basically it would be half a circuit board only completed. Andy is trying his best on some amps to get ones and twos built up when he can scavenge parts. We luckily bought out pretty much all the remaining stock of MosFets (that we use) in the world and we do have parts that we'll keep for repairs that may arise.
The current stock we have is running low I'm sad to say. That's the 800 and 1000 1U amps.

The bright side is that Andy a couple of years ago decided to start doing his own anodising (as local companies left a bit to be desired) so he set his own facility up. During the pandemic when we could not get materials Andy then started doing work for other companies (most notably a large company involved in weapons accessories). This kept Matrix afloat and still does to a large extent so even when and if the amps run out, Matrix will not cease to be and shuffle off this mortal coil, but thankfully just go into hibernation for a bit, weather out the storms looming and hopefully come back when things clear up.
So that's the current situation. We're here and hope to be for a while. I'll still answer emails even if the amps run dry and we'll still be doing repairs and servicing. Fingers crossed things get better for everyone's sakes but as I say, we'll try and weather the storms even if we have to hibernate for a bit.

John
I really hope the company gets all this sorted.

All in all...this is a good product but they are subject to things going on. As I mentioned, most likely use a more reliable solution. There a few PA's out now that are super reliable, sound good and from a responsive place. No 1 is SD. 2. Fryette (but some issues). There is also Raezer's Edge but also small. Seymour Duncan even overnighted an amp when needed. I think when the whole idea of amplifying digital devices first was dropped, Matrix rang the bell first, but now there are other options...it is clean power that is all.

FWIW, I have a Fryette PS-100 and really like it, but it can develop a really loud hum when it's cranked up, regardless of whatever is plugged into it. Very annoying. Apparently it is something noted by others beside myself on TGP, however haven't heard anything from Fryette to address it. Oh well. Great tones though.

All in all...this is a good product but they are subject to things going on. As I mentioned, most likely use a more reliable solution. There a few PA's out now that are super reliable, sound good and from a responsive place. No 1 is SD. 2. Fryette (but some issues). There is also Raezer's Edge but also small. Seymour Duncan even overnighted an amp when needed. I think when the whole idea of amplifying digital devices first was dropped, Matrix rang the bell first, but now there are other options...it is clean power that is all.
I get the supply and repair concern, but I had the SD and sold it for the 2U matrix1000. The matrix kills the SD in clarity IMOP.
Running two separate cabs, separate channels and SPEAKON CABLES
Hopefully they get the parts they need to carry on and grow.

I get the supply and repair concern, but I had the SD and sold it for the 2U matrix1000. The matrix kills the SD in clarity IMOP.
Running two separate cabs, separate channels and SPEAKON CABLES
Hopefully they get the parts they need to carry on and grow.
I guess my point is there shouldn't be any "emergencies" inside a professional situation...things happen, break, get stolen and beyond and that is why there is (or should be a tour plan). If your situation is professional use as posted by the OP then it might make sense to pick something reliable and useful as well. If you are touring you can't really "hope" someone will get back to you and in this case the SD would win.

I’d run from these guys. Their GT1000 fried my two Celestion F12’s. Sent it in for repairs and never heard a word for 2 months. Had to go through PayPal to get a refund. I’ll stick with my Seymour Duncan amp and companies with more than one guy in a garage.
Hi, Please tell me more. I just bought a couple of F12's and I was planning on using my GT1000 to power them.

Thank you

This is too bad. I don’t think I’d get any more gear from a company that might be “in hibernation” when I need it or need repairs. My 1U 1000w amp and CFR have been great for the last 7 years. I hope it keeps on being fine for many to come. Great sounding and solid set up. I

They are slow as ever. COVID decimated their USA staff, their area was caught in the middle of forest fire a few years back as well. Their UK sales rep would respond to emails in a timely fashion but the US guy (Andrew -owner) would not respond unless you got "very testy" in your emails to him. My repair turned into a brand new B stock replacement and in the end it worked out for me but it took almost 6 months start to finish. I can only imagine how bad it is now based on the comments above. Sad

HI all,

I have been using MATRIX amps and FRFR cabs for years for my AXE 3. I cannot reach them. Their site hasn't changed in a long time. Products are missing. My cabs no longer appear on the site. So there is a Facebook link but is just old ads and non related posts. I sent them a message and got no reply. Does anybody know whats happening? I visited the company personally in Ventura a few years ago and business was booming. Big thanks to all. Their stuff is essential for my shows and I am worried that I won't be able to replace something if it goes down while I play in Asia.
I messaged them on Facebook about shipping to New Zealand and they left me on seen! Unreal. I bought a Fryette instead and I'm extremely happy. They would have had my business if they'd deigned to communicate with me.

I have had mine for at least 4 years and not a hiccup. I play locally avg. about 2 shows a month with it being onstage running over 4 hours per gig. Very reliable.

Hi guys,

John
Huge thanks to you for the update. Again, our motivation with this thread is due to the quality of Matrix cabs and amps. Absolutely great stuff. We all hope things get sorted out. I have two FRFR and the GT 800. AXE 3. Best to all.

Hi guys,

John
Thanks for the update. I assumed you haven’t recovered from the pandemic yet, but it’s nice to get confirmation 👍🏻 Great products. Wish you all the best.

Had mine for a while too, no issues, and if blow a speaker that's the amps fault? I'm not sure about that, it all of a sudden pushes more watts without being manually turned up? Is that possible even? A voltage overload? Wouldn't that fry any speaker from any amp?

Back
Top Bottom