Matrix GT1000FX "Modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier"

New to the Axe and am digging it so far, just trying to figure out the best way to power it. Ultimately I'd like something that allows me to use the Power Amp sims and a traditional guitar cab, but am thrown by this statement from the Matrix site:

"Whilst still delivering the same flat response as the GT800FX, the GT1000FX has been modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier, giving a “looser” feel and a more open sound that we genuinely believe to be the closest a solid state amp has come to valves!"

Anyone have experience with exactly what they're getting at here? The Axe has power amp modeling dedicated to the amp its modeling... does this interfere with the accuracy of the models? Would I be better off with something like an ART SLA2 that just provides power and doesn't claim to color the sound?

On a side note, anyone know what kind of rig Fractal uses to power their AxeFx's in development?

Last edited:
from AdamCook on April-25-2012

"A quick note on the first 50 factory presets
Most of you have noticed by now that we decided to increase the number of basic "amp+cab+effects" presets to 50 in the new V6 Bank A.

The feedback seems to be extremely positive thus far and we're really glad to hear it. I thought you guys might be interested in how we re-tweaked these presets because it is a method that will probably work well for others.

The setup used was a Matrix GT1000FX running into two JBL SRX700 monitors.

The first step was to reset the amp block entirely by double clicking on bypass. This clears out all amp settings and reloads the default values for the selected amp type (another nice bonus is it no longer resets type all the way back down to Bassman '59). Next, we selected an appropriate mono cab or stereo cab combo to go with that amp. Then we tweaked master and drive for the appropriate level of gain depending upon whether or not the amp being modeled has a master volume knob.

In many cases, this got us 95% of the way there. The remaining tweaks were subtle changes to the tone controls, depth, and presence. In some cases we changed them all a little bit and on other amps it's almost all default settings. Other times we would add a different mic or cab just to get a bit more of a particular flavor we were looking for. But most of these "final 5%" tweaks are subjective tastes. I barely touched the advanced parameter tabs.

So in summary:
1. Reset amp type
2. Find a cab block choice that works for you
3. Use tone controls for final adjustments
4. Use advanced parameters only if absolutely necessary"

@ MatrixAmp - Without letting go of your trade secrets, in what way does the GT1000FX influence the power amp modeling of the AxeFX when using guitar cabs and not FRFR?

@ MatrixAmp - Without letting go of your trade secrets, in what way does the GT1000FX influence the power amp modeling of the AxeFX when using guitar cabs and not FRFR?

Hi there,
I think the question it best answered by some of our customers that have used the GT1000FX with guitar cabs rather then FRFR ?
I expect that someone shall answer soon.
My best regards
Matt

Some power amps can sound stiff, sterile, and harsh. The GT1000FX does not have these characteristics, it simply sounds good.

Can anyone compare the GT1000FX to something like a Mosvalve MV-962 (which I own)? Just curious if it sounds warmer, or brighter, or whatever.

Also, it there a certain brand of guitar cab that the Matrix seems to work really well with? I have two Marshall cabs.

One last thing. Do people always leave amp sims ON when using the Matrix? I normally have to turn my amp sims off with the Mosvalve.

Can anyone compare the GT1000FX to something like a Mosvalve MV-962 (which I own)? Just curious if it sounds warmer, or brighter, or whatever.

Also, it there a certain brand of guitar cab that the Matrix seems to work really well with? I have two Marshall cabs.

One last thing. Do people always leave amp sims ON when using the Matrix? I normally have to turn my amp sims off with the Mosvalve.

I have actually compared the 'older version' of the GT800 (borrowed from a friend) to a Mosvalve MV-962 (which I own)
They actually sounded 'similar'....mids and top end were very clear and not grainy (more pleasing than let's say the ART SLA-2).
The biggest difference is that the Matrix had WAAAAY more headroom....which allowed me to drive my cabs a lot harder.
I tried the Matrix on my Mesa 4x12 cab, and a passive FRFR. Sounded great for both. Really killer amp.
For size, weight, tone....this amp is really stealing the show. (I don't own one....so I'm not pumping it up for any reason other than I liked it). I may buy one down the road....just waiting to see all the new powered FRFR solutions that are about to hit the market. (and of course, I'm looking forward to hearing the 'Peterson Report' on these FRFR options) :)

This is what I suppose I'm getting at. Been using the ART SLA2 and have been generally happy with it. I leave the power amp sims on when running with guitar cabs. Would like to trade it out with something that has a bit more power and is lighter. Do most Matrix users that run guitar cabs use the power amp sims or not?

Amp sims off for use with guitar cabs.

As for Cliff using a F1200 plus Mesa cab, i dont know if he does any more. There was a thread where it was stated they now use a Matrix GT1000fx into a JBL monitor, though that may just be for the FRFR tuning. They may still use the F1200/Mesa for direct comparison - or they may use the Matrix in to the Mesa.

This is what I suppose I'm getting at. Been using the ART SLA2 and have been generally happy with it. I leave the power amp sims on when running with guitar cabs. Would like to trade it out with something that has a bit more power and is lighter. Do most Matrix users that run guitar cabs use the power amp sims or not?

I got a message from another forumite and he has a Mosvalve identical to mine, however he runs the amp and cab sims ON and said it sounds better. I guess the guitar cab you are using makes a big difference.

We used a Matrix amp when tweaking the first 50 presets for the latest preset update because we had one handy. It sounds good.

I do not use any power amp for my amp modeling research now. I use the real amp into a mic'd cab and then compare that with the model into an IR of that cab.

Personally I prefer power amps to be neutral. Anything that imparts it's own character is undesirable when used with the Axe-Fx IMO. A power amp should do nothing other than make the signal louder. I haven't used the new Matrix enough or compared it with other power amps to comment on whether the "looseness and openness" is apparent.

I use a Matrix GT800FX into guitar cabs, and I always have my power amp sims in the Axe-Fx II turned ON. It's the cab sims that I turn off.

This is what I do too.

The Matrix is supposed to be a neutral amp, so I think you would want the power amp sims on. I'm surprised that paulmap8306 runs with them off.

I think the comments on the Matrix site is probably more about "response and feel" than about the tone. But I have the GT800FX, not the GT1000, so what do I know......

I haven't heard a GT1000.

Back
Top Bottom