Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
After reading all the stuff about volume pedals I have found that in order to use it for swells without effecting amp gain and effects tails then the best place to put it is:
After the amp/cab blocks but before any time based effects like reverb/delay etc.
That way it doesn't alter the sound of your amp and it keeps the effects intact.

+1 here! And it sounds more natural to let the time based effects decay rather than the sudden sweep of your foot.

I would not like to see the volume block added to the presets. I always add a volume block myself because it is a very individualized thing and would be difficult to come up with something that meets everyone’s needs.

For example, I use one expression pedal and set up my scenes to accommodate what the pedal controls. In one scene it may be assigned to channel A of the wha block, in another scene I’ll configure it to control channel B of the volume block.

It’s much easier for me to just drop in the volume block where I want it and use a saved block definition. I still need to make edits to the wha block, or any other block that may have an expression pedal assignment.

Just like FC layouts, we each have our own personal needs and preferences. My suggestion is to keep the expression pedal assignments minimal and as simple as possible in the Naked Amps pack. I know the idea is to make these gig ready, but the end user is still going to have to learn how to adjust these to meet their needs.

This is why I made the request in the first place but after trying the pedal on the output volume I’m no longer sure it’s worth the effort.

I find the difference to be insignificant enough as to not to bother with putting the volume block on every preset.

Volume swells with delay tails preserved is a huge difference compared to cutting them off in my opinion. Definitely not insignificant. Listen to the “Soon” section of The Gates of Delirium by Yes off the Relayer album for an example where this is used to great effect. Or the volume swells at the beginning of Alex Lifeson’s solo In La Villa Strangiato.

Last edited:
@austinbuddy the presets sound amazing and I’m finding some great tones to use for live and studio use. For live use, I like to have the ability to boost for solos, etc. I typically use a null filter and/or a GEQ with mids boosted and assign a foot switch. I have an FC12 so I should be able to do the same. I also have an extra expression pedal I could use What do you recommend for your presets? Thanks.

@austinbuddy the presets sound amazing and I’m finding some great tones to use for live and studio use. For live use, I like to have the ability to boost for solos, etc. I typically use a null filter and/or a GEQ with mids boosted and assign a foot switch. I have an FC12 so I should be able to do the same. I also have an extra expression pedal I could use What do you recommend for your presets? Thanks.

A 3db to 3.5 db boost at the end of the signal chain works great. This can be done lots of ways.

1. A filter block set to +3.5db

2. Set up the lead as a SCENE and go into the mixer of each output — there is a scene area and you can add just 3.5 db for one scene for leads

3. Some people use a volume block and clicking it on boosts by 3db

Lots of ways! Many not listed - others may chime in?

Just want to check, I have fitted new pickups in my Strat, and my first goto preset I always check for Strat sounds is Vox AC30s* v5 with the first Scene *SortaU2y. Normally this sounds nice and bitey for U2 songs like Pride, but it is now sounding very muffled. I'm not sure if it is my new pickups, but the pickups do sound great on the other AustinBuddy Fender type presets.

So I'm wondering if this is an issue with my pickups just not getting on with that amp, or could it be something in the preset (I'm on 6.03). Can you guys try it out and let me know if you get anything different please? I've checked the Hi Cut parameter on the Cab and it is at 10k which is plenty.

Interestingly, I have tried to increase the treble of the Amp, on full Treble it still feels short of top end. I'm worried this might just be my pickups, but would like to check what you guys are finding please!

I'm posting this in this thread because I'm asking other AB users (and the man himself of course).

Thanks guys!

EDIT: See my next post below

Last edited:
Just want to check, I have fitted new pickups in my Strat, and my first goto preset I always check for Strat sounds is Vox AC30s* v5 with the first Scene *SortaU2y. Normally this sounds nice and bitey for U2 songs like Pride, but it is now sounding very muffled. I'm not sure if it is my new pickups, but the pickups do sound great on the other AustinBuddy Fender type presets.

So I'm wondering if this is an issue with my pickups just not getting on with that amp, or could it be something in the preset (I'm on 6.03). Can you guys try it out and let me know if you get anything different please? I've checked the Hi Cut parameter on the Cab and it is at 10k which is plenty.

Interestingly, I have tried to increase the treble of the Amp, on full Treble it still feels short of top end. I'm worried this might just be my pickups, but would like to check what you guys are finding please!

I'm posting this in this thread because I'm asking other AB users (and the man himself of course).

Thanks guys!

I think I have fixed it, the Bright Switch was not engaged (mapped to Control Switch 4), so I removed the modifier, switched the Bright Switch on and it already has a lot more top end to it. Much better now!

I really need to learn how these Control Switches work because I don't use them.

I think I have fixed it, the Bright Switch was not engaged (mapped to Control Switch 4), so I removed the modifier, switched the Bright Switch on and it already has a lot more top end to it. Much better now!

I really need to learn how these Control Switches work because I don't use them.
So - that preset Scene (*SortaU2y) does default with bright switch OFF, because the amp model used is the Class A30W bright and is plenty bright on it's own, used with Strat in the quack 2 position. But yes, you can use the assigned Controller Switch 4 to turn it on and off. With the Voxes, I do usually leave the Cab block's Hi Cut set higher than normal, at 10kHz or even more, to get that airy top end goodness those amps do produce.

You can unhook the Amp control switch assignments in any preset scene, and the scene should revert to how I created it no problem (if a switch was on, it will stay on even after you remove controller). Hope that helps!

So - that preset Scene (*SortaU2y) does default with bright switch OFF, because the amp model used is the Class A30W bright and is plenty bright on it's own, used with Strat in the quack 2 position. But yes, you can use the assigned Controller Switch 4 to turn it on and off. With the Voxes, I do usually leave the Cab block's Hi Cut set higher than normal, at 10kHz or even more, to get that airy top end goodness those amps do produce.

You can unhook the Amp control switch assignments in any preset scene, and the scene should revert to how I created it no problem (if a switch was on, it will stay on even after you remove controller). Hope that helps!

Thanks @austinbuddy! For me this means I definitely have a problem with my new pickups then. When I engage the Bright switch the difference is huge, so I think I might need to resort back to the soldering iron.

Last edited:
Just a quick question, when using output 3 to feed a power amp and cab it takes the feed before the time based effects. Would there be any reason why I couldn’t put the cab block at the end and take the out put 3 feed just before the cab but after the effects?

Just a quick question, when using output 3 to feed a power amp and cab it takes the feed before the time based effects. Would there be any reason why I couldn’t put the cab block at the end and take the out put 3 feed just before the cab but after the effects?
Yes, there sure is. If the cab block is unpanned and mono (most are, like in real life), then all your post-Cab stereo/delay/reverb effects would turn into mono if you put the cab at the end. You'd need to fix the cab to keep a stereo image.

Also if you tap off a cab off that cable shunt line, you will not get a stereo signal into your real cab, you'll get one side only of the effects -- it would be mono. Make sense?

@austinbuddy - I'm a new Axe Fx3 user, and a long-time Helix Rack user. I bought this 1000+ pack under the influence of my mate Burgs (who contributed a couple of the presets). I have to say that the pack is brilliant, and I am so impressed with the care and meticulous tweaking you've done to everything. I've overwritten all the gimmicky presets from the factory set, and just use the ones from your pack. Just wanted to thank you for such an amazing set of sounds. :)

@austinbuddy - I'm a new Axe Fx3 user, and a long-time Helix Rack user. I bought this 1000+ pack under the influence of my mate Burgs (who contributed a couple of the presets). I have to say that the pack is brilliant, and I am so impressed with the care and meticulous tweaking you've done to everything. I've overwritten all the gimmicky presets from the factory set, and just use the ones from your pack. Just wanted to thank you for such an amazing set of sounds. :)
Thank you so much! Please enjoy, hope you have as much fun playing them as I did making them! Love me some ‘Burgs too!

Might have gone over my head slightly. So if I wanted to have all the effects going to a power amp and cab would I be best copying the effects and adding them to output 3?

Might have gone over my head slightly. So if I wanted to have all the effects going to a power amp and cab would I be best copying the effects and adding them to output 3?
Well is your power amp and cab stereo, or mono? Because the wet effects are all in stereo. If you move effects blocks to before output 3 and, but only take one side to an output to power mono amp, you'll only get the left (or right) side coming out the power amp and cab...

Hi AB-
Haven't been there in a long time. I bought you pack a while ago, wondering if there was an update in the last 4 months or so?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom