Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
@austinbuddy Just bought the new pack. Psyched but a bit unsure of how to load them. The video in the manual seems to address how to load on the Ax8 but not on Fractal Bot like the notes suggest. Is this the correct video? Thanks.
Hi Curious: You use FractalBot to load them as whole banks (MUCH easier than on the AX8).

While this video link is for the older Axe-Fx and original 700+ Naked Amps, the concepts in it are the same. I'll get a new video set of tutorials out this week hopefully covering everything.

Has Bank A changed significantly since the last most recent update for v5? I’m debating with myself whether I need to update it since i’ve made some substantial tweaks to those presets.

It changed less than 10%. I basically added a few presets, a few more scenes, did some level tweaks, corrected an error here or there.

If you have a preset (or presets) you love from the early v5 Bank A, just rename them and save, and you can reload it later - that's the beauty of it!

Hi Curious: You use FractalBot to load them as whole banks (MUCH easier than on the AX8).

While this video link is for the older Axe-Fx and original 700+ Naked Amps, the concepts in it are the same. I'll get a new video set of tutorials out this week hopefully covering everything.
Thanks @austinbuddy Another noob question: There are only four banks on the Ax III so it appears that I will be forced to overwrite some of the factory presets if use the last two banks. Is this correct? Are there other banks I'm not seeing? How do you handle this if you want to keep the factory presets? Thanks.

Seems like an obvious question but I don’t have any user presets saved in my AxIII - I’m still using my Ax8 for gigs - so, do I still need to perform a backup?
I always do a backup of presets in a Bank I've used/worked on at end of every session, my habit now. I back up the User cabs separately maybe once every month or two.

A great time-saving trick: start your backup with your Axe-Fx III set to an EMPTY preset - it will take less than 1 minute per bank saved on most computers - it does for me!

Here's some improv using the C++ preset @austinbuddy asked me to contribute. There's a few things I did differently to my usual presets to fit the format of the rest of the pack and it opened up some fun and inspiring effects combinations I wouldn't have otherwise explored.

Wow- a nice treat! (Guys Leon surprised me with this video as well!)

Awesome playing and great tone!

Thank you Leon for all you do to make our Fractal community ("Brothers in Axes?") better!

Thanks @austinbuddy Another noob question: There are only four banks on the Ax III so it appears that I will be forced to overwrite some of the factory presets if use the last two banks. Is this correct? Are there other banks I'm not seeing? How do you handle this if you want to keep the factory presets? Thanks.
Hi Curious: There are only two Banks in my zip file. Backup your Axe-Fx III using Fractal Bot and it will save all of the factory presets.

Also, you can get those Factory Banks again anytime from the Fractal Audio website here. Members of the beta team have been working to update those BTW for firmware 5.x so improved ones should be available later this summer sometime.

Then use FractalBot to write over any two of the four banks you want. Also, I included a BLANK bank as well as a nice tool.

If you are a newbie, you might want to set up your Axe-Fx III like this:

Bank A - blank bank. This is where you will create/copy to with YOUR favorite sounds - your "working" bank.

Bank B - make Bank B into Fractal's Factory Bank A (mostly amps).

Bank C - Austin Buddy's Bank A

Bank D - Austin Buddy's Bank B

Now you have 3 full banks with over 1500 great guitar tones in Banks B, C and D -- just play and then copy the presets you like to Bank A in the order you like as you go through them and audition them. Make sense? Using Axe-Edit III's "Axe-Manage Presets" is the easiest way to do this.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hey, @austinbuddy
I'm loading all the presets in now, but I don't see the extras bank in the downloaded file. I could be not seeing it. There is a bank called EmptyBank which truly is an empty bank. Is it missing? The Preset & Scene list has several cool sounding ones I'd love to try but are not one my original download. Thanks!

I've just had 20 mins to try some of them out, I have to say they are SUPER inspiring to play! You literally get the character of each preset instantly when you switch to it, it just makes you want to keep playing. Each time I change to a different preset I say to myself "THIS is the one that is going into my main preset"; I'm realising it's going to be tough choice!! :)

Thank you Austin Buddy, they sound more than great! They capture the feel as well!
Thank you so much! The FEEL is really important - I dig it. Customers constantly tell me my presets "make the Axe-Fx come alive" - part of that is the leveling which is SO important to get right. A great amp can sound uninspiring and lifeless if not loud enough into the -12db average range - our ears fool us.

I have the same issue -- I love so many of the amps now, it's like "paralysis by analysis."

Got mine, amazing job, the new bank has quite a few jewels, the SLO100 for example really delivers, the Triptik ... I need a lot of time to check them all but so far can say only this is so great ....

Myself I did an small adjustment, the Jimmy Early cab was before on User 1 37, I placed on the 43rd slot to be with the other cabs, since in the prescribed 1 slot I already have some stuff, then changed the corresponding presets, done.

This is kinda my bad. I've always had Jimi in User Slot 1 in 700+ Naked Amps, but then I moved it to User #37 for the 1000+ Dream Rigs for Axe-Fx and Ax8 I think along with a few other User IRs I supplied for that product.

The main thing is, 98%+ most 1000+ Naked Amps presets for Axe-Fx III use Factory Cabs. For the few that use User Cabs (see post above), you can put the User Cabs wherever you like - AS LONG AS as you then go to those same presets and re-point the User Cab to the right place and save.

Downloading....

... and I can finally breathe again....

...didn't want to participate in this thread for the last few days, in case AB spent time reading my comments, instead of working on the preset updates.... ;). I think I've been looking forward to this almost as much as a FW update. Finally got my FC12 a few days ago, but didn't want to get too committed to too many preset changes until I see and hear what AB's been up to.

Thanks, AustinBuddy!!!

So - one of the COOL things about Axe-Edit III now is you can LOAD another person's FC12 Layout pages -- either all of them as one group, or just one (like my Layout 6 Amp Page that works with the Control Switch buttons in the amp block in these presets), using Axe-Edit.

So you might want to check out my included Amp Layout page and total setup -- but FIRST, use Axe-Edit to back up your own. You can always then go back to yours!

- Go to Axe-Edit, Click FOOT CONTROLLERS button so it turns yellow (and you see the layouts page);

- Over on left, next to LAYOUTS (not SWITCHES!), click the down triangle next to EDIT.

ThIS is where you can EXPORT your FC12 OR FC6 Layouts, and IMPORT other people's to check out.

So EXPORT yours first (as a way to save it), and you can then Re-IMPORT it later.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 1.12.43 PM.png

For the FC6 people -- It is on my list to produce a similar layout for FC6 (within the constraints of it) at some poitn, but I need to get some other things done first.

Got mine, amazing job, the new bank has quite a few jewels, the SLO100 for example really delivers, the Triptik ... I need a lot of time to check them all but so far can say only this is so great ....

Myself I did an small adjustment, the Jimmy Early cab was before on User 1 37, I placed on the 43rd slot to be with the other cabs, since in the prescribed 1 slot I already have some stuff, then changed the corresponding presets, done.
PS. Mohi - it was your asking about the SLO-100 that inspired me to do the second "Extra SLO-100" new preset for it last night....:) - so thanks!

Hey, @austinbuddy
I'm loading all the presets in now, but I don't see the extras bank in the downloaded file. I could be not seeing it. There is a bank called EmptyBank which truly is an empty bank. Is it missing? The Preset & Scene list has several cool sounding ones I'd love to try but are not one my original download. Thanks!

Hi Dunconia:

There are three banks total, but the third is empty by design.

Presets are in Bank A, and Bank B - the extra "bonus" presets are located at the end of Bank B (there are some empty slots between the Naked Amps and the Bonus presets). Then there is an Empty Bank just as a tool for your convenience.

We are now over 1400+ unique tones in this TonePack!

Hi Curious: There are only two Banks in my zip file. Backup your Axe-Fx III using Fractal Bot and it will save all of the factory presets.

Also, you can get those Factory Banks again anytime from the Fractal Audio website here. Members of the beta team have been working to update those BTW for firmware 5.x so improved ones should be available later this summer sometime.

Then use FractalBot to write over any two of the four banks you want. Also, I included a BLANK bank as well as a nice tool.

If you are a newbie, you might want to set up your Axe-Fx III like this:

Bank A - blank bank. This is where you will create/copy to with YOUR favorite sounds - your "working" bank.

Bank B - make Bank B into Fractal's Factory Bank A (mostly amps).

Bank C - Austin Buddy's Bank A

Bank D - Austin Buddy's Bank D

Now you have 3 full banks with over 1500 great guitar tones in Banks B, C and D -- just play and then copy the presets you like to Bank A in the order you like as you go through them and audition them. Make sense? Using Axe-Edit III's "Axe-Manage Presets" is the easiest way to do this.

Enjoy!
I think you meant to say your Bank "B" should go in my Bank D, correct? Your suggestion makes perfect sense. Once I select the presets I want to use, I will put them in Bank A.

Also, one more question: to move Factory Bank A to Bank B, is it best to use the the Manage Presets in Axe II Edit and just drag the first 128 factory presets to slot 129? If that works, then I can just drop your Banks A and B into my Banks C and D, respectively. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Check your account on my website and you will see the new update file! There are now 1400+ sounds organized into two banks!

Using FractalBot, save everything you have first, then load them up and enjoy!

There is a .pdf file that details every presets AND scene in that preset, organized by amp types within Banks A and B.

I've some key changes to preset structure and TonePack organization, so please look at the README file.

Note changes to set your system up to use the -12db average preset leveling, to adapt any preset to single coil guitars, to the Outputs (Output 3 now goes to power amp+ cab with ability to use a GEQ 10 band block to tailer the sound, and there is a new Output 4 available) and to have more amp parameter controls using Control Switches (CS) from your foot controller (like Amp boost).

I'll get a video together in next week or so that walks through it all and explains everything (and append it here as well as on YouTube and the Fractal Forum when done).

You will also need to install a few IRs into UserCab1 slots 44-49 to use the extra amp presets provided by Cooper Carter, Brett Kingman, Leon Todd, Fremen, Moke and Justin @ York Audio. Many thanks to those guys for contributing to this update!

Appreciate your patience - you know I like to do things right, and that takes time. This will likely be the last product firmware update in 2019, and should work fine with the forthcoming announced (now beta) firmware 6.x based on what we know today (June 15, 2019). Frankly firmware 5.08 sounds perfectly awesome as is!

I'll keep adding expanding/presets for the next and final free update in 2020 -- maybe we'll be at 2000+ next time! Enjoy!

Excellent, I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning, just got my FC12 too so I'm definitely in for a fun day, cheers Buddy, you're star 😁👍

I think you meant to say your Bank "B" should go in my Bank D, correct? Your suggestion makes perfect sense. Once I select the presets I want to use, I will put them in Bank A.

Also, one more question: to move Factory Bank A to Bank B, is it best to use the the Manage Presets in Axe II Edit and just drag the first 128 factory presets to slot 129? If that works, then I can just drop your Banks A and B into my Banks C and D, respectively. Thanks so much.
1. Yes - my bad, it should be my Bank B (into hardware bank D), I'm moving pretty fast today...fixed it in prior post now.

2. I'd just use FractalBot to load the whole bank at once! Save your Factory Bank A to your computer ("Receive") with FractalBot then use FractalBot to Send it to whatever Bank you like!

1. Yes - my bad, it should be my Bank B (into hardware bank D), I'm moving pretty fast today...fixed it in prior post now.

2. I'd just use FractalBot to load the whole bank at once! Save your Factory Bank A to your computer ("Receive") with FractalBot then use FractalBot to Send it to whatever Bank you like!
Thanks. I figured it out. Working my way through the presets. I’m absolutely loving the Vox AC30’s! Playing it at almost gig level in my house and they sound really amazing. Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds great, @austinbuddy ! I realized that the reason i wasn’t seeing the bonus stuff was because Axe Edit needed to update the preset list. I got stuck on a couple scenes before tweaking my FC6. That’s when I noticed that you have 2 delays going. Sometimes it’s delay 1 and sometimes it’s delay 2 in a preset. Since I’m trying to save space on the FC6, I only have delay 1 in my effects page. But since you also use delay 2, I set that up as a hold function. However when only delay 2 is on the preset, delay 1 on the FC looks like there is no delay present on the preset. Was that by design?

Wish I had an empty preset!
Thanks
Pauly

I always do a backup of presets in a Bank I've used/worked on at end of every session, my habit now. I back up the User cabs separately maybe once every month or two.

A great time-saving trick: start your backup with your Axe-Fx III set to an EMPTY preset - it will take less than 1 minute per bank saved on most computers - it does for me!

Sounds great, @austinbuddy ! I realized that the reason i wasn’t seeing the bonus stuff was because Axe Edit needed to update the preset list. I got stuck on a couple scenes before tweaking my FC6. That’s when I noticed that you have 2 delays going. Sometimes it’s delay 1 and sometimes it’s delay 2 in a preset. Since I’m trying to save space on the FC6, I only have delay 1 in my effects page. But since you also use delay 2, I set that up as a hold function. However when only delay 2 is on the preset, delay 1 on the FC looks like there is no delay present on the preset. Was that by design?

Great question. A pre-amp delay is different than a post-amp delay, sound wise, to my ears.

If I recall right (not a my machine), I by design use Delay 1 in front of an amp/cab (and rarely in these TonePack, so that block is usually not in the preset - so the button you have for it will not light up).

I use Delay 2 after the Amp/Cab -- and one is in every Naked Amps preset. Probably should have put that in the Update Notes...

Back
Top Bottom