Massive Volume Drop

Good evening tonemasters,

I have run into a new issue and cannot tell if it is hardware or software related.

For as long as I remember, whenever I have paired my Kali Audio LP6's (set to +4dB) with my Axe FX3 Mk2 Turbo, I have always gotten more than enough volume. For reference, a clean DC30 amp (master level -5db), with IRs at 0dB and the output level set to 0dB (Output one set to +4dB in internal settings), I can absolute fill my small bedroom when the output 1 knob is around 1 o'clock.

Now, all of a sudden, I can barely get levels that go above the sound of strumming with the same exact settings as above. I have dimed the knob, even pushed the output level to 10dB, and still i am not getting the same volume I was getting yesterday.

To my knowledge nothing has changed. I am running the most recent firmware, I am playing the same preset (but the issue affects all presets I believe).
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Two monitors? If so what is common to both? Is there an interface or do the monitors plug straight into the Axe?

Or forgot to plug the cable into the guitar? (Don’t ask why I know this one). Or a dead battery if you have Active pickups?
I will check to see if there is some sort of stereo cancellation, although I am running my effects mono right now.
As for guitar getting plugged in, I can confirm it was/is 😅. I have passive pickups, too.

if you haven’t yet tested on a different preset too (betting you already have, I’d do that. It has the same ring to it like the main processor might not be seated well enough. Support would probably be my next stop. Best of luck to other way! Lee

Just confirming; you have nothing else plugged into those monitors at the same time?

Most monitors with multiple inputs on the back cannot take multiple inputs at the same time, so if you did just plug an extra source into one of the monitor inputs that could be the issue. Most likely not, however, I wanted to call it out just to make sure.

Just confirming; you have nothing else plugged into those monitors at the same time?

Most monitors with multiple inputs on the back cannot take multiple inputs at the same time, so if you did just plug an extra source into one of the monitor inputs that could be the issue. Most likely not, however, I wanted to call it out just to make sure.
Wait! I just put TRS inputs for the new iD4 mk2 interface i got!! The back of my monitors has inputs for XLR, TRS, and RCA. I just added the trs inputs, do you think that is the culprit? I will try unplugging when I get home!

Wait! I just put TRS inputs for the new iD4 mk2 interface i got!! The back of my monitors has inputs for XLR, TRS, and RCA. I just added the trs inputs, do you think that is the culprit? I will try unplugging when I get home!
that would do it!

Most monitors like I said cannot have multiple devices plugged in as once. If they could the manual would state that, and I would honestly be surprised if the Kali monitors were a set that would allow multiple.

My solution was to add a Coleman Audio LS3 that I plug both my interface (have an audient ID14, so good choice on your part!) and axe fx 3 into, then it has one set of TRS outs that go to my monitors. So I select via the LS3 which input is being sent to the monitors. doing it this way still can only have one input active at a time. If you want to play multiple sources I believe you would have to get a mixer.

From the Kali manual:
XLR Input (+4 dBu Sensitivity)
The XLR input is for use with professional audio devices like mixers, interfaces, and
controllers. Depending on your device, it will either use XLR or ¼” TRS outputs,
and either can be used with this speaker. However, do not connect both XLR and
TRS to the same speaker at the same time

Do you have the first generation of Kali LP-6? The neat unintended trick with those first gens is that you can plug in more than one source into them and get sound. However, it comes with a large volume drop like you described. That is likely your issue. I have the same thing happen and plan to get a line mixer to run only one input on the Kali’s but still be able to run more sources easily.

Ah, so you’re running an interface to the monitors and the Axe to separate inputs on the monitors. Looks like Werpinater is familiar with your monitros and has confirmed the issue.
Just so you know, unless the speaker has a built in mixer you should only plug in one source.
If you have an interface just plug the Axe into that.

Back
Top Bottom