Marshall / Marsha HBE Patches

giacomo

Hi guys,

I'm having some problem in creating a good "dirty" (crunchy, not heavy) patch. I was trying to create a classic marshall / Marsha patch with just a bit of reverb / delay, but can't get what I want, I almost obtaing "plastic" sound, too far from reality.
Do you have any example from where to start? or just amp settings.
Do you thing I might have to buy some good quality IRs to solve the problem? My setup is just Axe straight into a Verve 8ma

up to now I'm really satisfied with clean and bluesy tones, also from heavy tones, but still can't get a great crunchy / pushy tone!

thanks!
G

I was never totally satisfied with plexi emulation. Too compressed & stiff. I switched to trainwrek emulation, that are on the bright side but more alive, keeping it just on the edge of breakup. I add a drive block for more gain. This is no real marshall tone, but give an excelent british crunch.

I was never totally satisfied with plexi emulation. Too compressed & stiff. I switched to trainwrek emulation, that are on the bright side but more alive, keeping it just on the edge of breakup. I add a drive block for more gain. This is no real marshall tone, but give an excelent british crunch.

I'll check it out :)

All in the amp block:

Turn the low cut up to about 80-120Hz.
Turn the triode hardness down to 3.00
Raise the master volume to about 7.5
Use the drive to set your level and gain.

i have the same issues with the Marsha sim, i'll try the above

for me the JCM800 is still the daddy in the Ultra

Do you refere to the Masha, Plexi or Trainwreck ?

All of the above.

The exception being the Master Volume - this is amp dependent *and* taste dependent. With Marshall flavor tones, generally the more gain, the lower the master volume.

Certain amps - like the Trainwreck and most of the vintage Plexi amps - like higher master volume settings (ala my suggestion of starting around 7.5).

All in the amp block:

Thanks a lot for your tip :)
I just made a Robin Trower like preset with the Plexi - the mid control is also very important in the Plexi, I set it quite low.

Thanks a lot for your tip :)
I just made a Robin Trower like preset with the Plexi - the mid control is also very important in the Plexi, I set it quite low.

Easy dialing a Plexi - turn everything to 10 and Drive at 0. Then dial up the drive to the proper gain level and then subtract gain from the EQ. You'll end up removing some top, but leave the bass and mid at 10 (I bet.... ) :D

Remember - a cranked Plexi is a force of nature; they are excessively loud, rude as hell and it's fun to actually be able to use one in real life with the Axe-FX. :D

ok just tried this, you sir are a genius, my Marsha has just gone from "meh" to instant "Mean Street"!!!

seriously it sounds amazing!!! hehe :D

All in the amp block:

Ehy Pete
glad to hear you!

I'll try the above setting asap... and let you know! ;)

cheers

Last edited:
triode hardness

Hi Scott,

Would you please tell me where is the triode hardness, I don't find it in the Axe Edit.
My problem with many tube amps is that when I cranked them, I don't like their behaviour in the bass response with a power chord on the neck pickup of my stratocaster.
The sound is not clean and straight (muddy is perhaps the word ?)
The only amps that are acceptable for me are : JMP-1 and New Rectifier to play fusion .
If I could get some help to get rid of that, I would be very thankfull.
Thanks for your answer.

Cheers

Fred.

Hi Scott,

Would you please tell me where is the triode hardness, I don't find it in the Axe Edit.
My problem with many tube amps is that when I cranked them, I don't like their behaviour in the bass response with a power chord on the neck pickup of my stratocaster.
The sound is not clean and straight (muddy is perhaps the word ?)
The only amps that are acceptable for me are : JMP-1 and New Rectifier to play fusion .
If I could get some help to get rid of that, I would be very thankfull.
Thanks for your answer.

Cheers

Fred.

It's in the "Advanced Tab" on the hardware, toward the bottom.

triode hardness

Hi Scott,

Thanks for answer, but I don't find the triode hardness in the advanced table of the Axe Ultra, I went all along the column, perhaps the name has changed with the last firmware (11.00).
I would like to get a decent JCM-800 and Plexi sound without the muddy bass behaviour.
I tried to adjust the equalization and follow your recommandation (except triode hardness that I don't find) but the sound remains muddy on the bass strings.
I play FRFR Verve 12 ma and use a parametric equalizer in blocking mode 100hz for bass and 5500 hz for treble and play Jeff Beck Stratocaster (single coils).
Would it be possible to get one of your patch ?
I heard you playing and notice that you use hambuckers, perhaps you have something for single coils ?

Thank you for what you can do.

Cheers.

Fred.

I've used the settings from this Tone Merchants video that helped get me great tones out of the HB-HBE sims.
Tone Merchants and Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Ltd. Present The Marsha feat. JMR - YouTube
Another big key to your tone is selecting the right IR cab. For the HB-HBE sims, I like to use the Ownhammer SLM-M75 and a SLM-H75. They're Scumback speakers, the same in this video.

There is no Triode Hardness tab in the Ultra, I think Scott's been playing with his II too much. ;-)
Like Scott was saying turn up the Low Cut parameter in the advanced tab of the amp block. Remember, this low cut is for cutting the lows BEFORE the amp sim which will help tame the mud. On the Marsha sims, they're already pretty high like 500hz.

Marshall bass behaviour

Hi Axisman 5150,

Very interesting answer, I will try the different set up to get rid of this muddy behaviour.
You wrote about IR cabs, this is also interesting, how do you proceed to download these IR cabs into the Ultra ? I never did it .
If you could explain to me where to buy and how install them I would be happy.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Fred.

Hi Axisman 5150,

Very interesting answer, I will try the different set up to get rid of this muddy behaviour.
You wrote about IR cabs, this is also interesting, how do you proceed to download these IR cabs into the Ultra ? I never did it .
If you could explain to me where to buy and how install them I would be happy.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Fred.

You can have a look in the IR section of the forum, you can find any info there :)

i always use scott's mid boost peq before my marshall amps. tightens the bass, smooths out the top and gives it that midrange grind.

also worth playing with the bright switch...it can really tighten the bottom end

here's the peq block and a jcm800 patch to try

sim

here's a wide rock plexi patch i just knocked up. the mid boost works here too. my humbucker is quite dark and low gain, so you may need to compensate accordingly...

you can get some huge tones if you use two different amps and cabs and pan them hard left and right - i've got one with plexi left and plexi2 right feeding different cabs. stick a wah in front of one of the amps, or a phaser. massive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom