Marshall 1936 Cabinet

Jerry K.

Experienced
I just bought a used Marshall 1936 cabinet. I think the FRFR sounds fantastic but I have been missing a certain something in my sound. I plugged into the cabinet and it immediately sounded great, the missing presence or fullness or whatever you want to call it was there. I did need to add in some highs but that was done almost exclusively with the presence knob. Not all of the presets sound as good as they do with FRFR but the ones I was looking for (fendery cleans and some good distortion) sound great. I am still pressing forward with implementing the FRFR into my full time gig but the real cabinet with the Axe II sounds fantastic and is a great alternative. It is nice to have so many options!

I ended up playing through my new cabinet for about three hours today. I found that leaving the amp and cabinet sims on gave the best sound. In my opinion, this set up sounds substantially better than my stereo atomics. The Axe II still sounds incredible through the FRFR set up but the feel of having the real cabinet makes a huge difference for me!

Yup. same here. I tried EV 112 FRFR, it smelled like reefer and I sent it back! It sounded like it was missing punch in the mids(typical coaxial speaker has fizz above 1.5khz where the tweeter takes over from the speaker). I then tried through the PA at the rehearsal space=thin, missing punch and sounding brittle(15" bins, mid horn and high horn), but vocals sound really bad through this setup too. Then I put the Axe2 through the poweramp return and/or effects return on my 20 Anniversary Shiva!!! That's it right there...don't move. 1960b cabinet loaded with t75/V30 "x".

Last edited:
I keep agonizing over whether or not to go FRFR. I run my Standard into an early 70's Marshall 4x12 through the effects loop of a THD Flexi and it sounds incredible. Maybe I'm not really missing anything. I'm going to be gigging again soon after a long break and I'd love to try just a monitor and the house PA though. Hmmmmmm. Dammit! haha

why dont you guys make an ir through your rigs? i'm going to this weekend through my poweramp and boogie half back cab.

Ive been through soooo many different set ups like qsc k12, qsc kw153, and others. Finally decided Im gonna try the poweramp and cab route and BAM!!!! Got what I was looking for!!! Only took a year to figure that out. HAHA

I went through this exact experience until I located the bug. A "false" FR system. A real proper FR (meaning FLAT response) will get you the product. Otherwise, skip it.

why dont you guys make an ir through your rigs? i'm going to this weekend through my poweramp and boogie half back cab.

oh, sweet.

will you share the IR(s)?

pretty please.

with sugar on top.

and a cherry.

(anyone else play this one when it came out?)

I keep agonizing over whether or not to go FRFR. I run my Standard into an early 70's Marshall 4x12 through the effects loop of a THD Flexi and it sounds incredible. Maybe I'm not really missing anything. I'm going to be gigging again soon after a long break and I'd love to try just a monitor and the house PA though. Hmmmmmm. Dammit! haha

Might be able to help here, or just confuse you more.

Been doing the FRFR thing for a year now, but as the last few months I also have a Mesa 2x12 Recto home with me. And I think it breaks down to a few things and of course there is no right and no wrong, which makes it harder. Both have a place for sure.
First is feel, the cabinet wins, that simple. FRFR does have its own feel, in much the same way a 4x12 is going to have a different feel than a 2x12 open back. It is not as completely sterile as some say (IMO). Along with this there is the in-room feel, again the cab. The way a 12” speaker in a closed backed or opened back guitar cab pushes air, compared to a 12” speaker with a horn and a ported cab (in my case the Atomics)not to mention just the way the cabs themselves resonate in a room when cranked up a bit. Bottom line if you are looking for self-gratification the cab is probably for you. Great for bedroom, garage, basement, jamming with the boy’s and playing out.
Second is verity (with cabs) well yeah FRFR is going to win here of course. Also allot of amp sim’s may not sound (or I should say shine) that good with your guitar cabinet. In your case a 4x12 Marshall. Everybody is different of course but my thoughts on that: I don’t have to use every amp sim anyway and the same for cabs, you may not have the verity like running FRFR but dam you still have a ton of options. So I would never stress out about that point. However another cool thing with FRFR you can use multiple cabs in a patch and create allot of different tones and ambiance.

Sounds like I’m pretty much on the side of the conventional guitar cab, so why am I playing FRFR??

Control! Everything just sits so nice in a mix, whether it be a small bar or a larger venue plus with a conventional setup, you would typically mic your cab, that mic is picking up other things beside your cab, and of course with cab and mic sim’s don’t have this problem. I think in allot of cases, (but not all) it’s a better listening experience for the audience.

Now for my advice: DON’T sell your cab to get a FRFR setup, if you are already happy with your sound.
Maybe in the future get something and then make that decision which is going to go or even keep both, in my case I am fortunate enough were I can keep both. And there is extra work with the FRFR so keep that in mind.

John

Sounds like I’m pretty much on the side of the conventional guitar cab, so why am I playing FRFR??

Control! Everything just sits so nice in a mix, whether it be a small bar or a larger venue plus with a conventional setup, you would typically mic your cab, that mic is picking up other things beside your cab, and of course with cab and mic sim’s don’t have this problem. I think in allot of cases, (but not all) it’s a better listening experience for the audience.

John

This is the main reason I went FR... given the situation I was in P&W, FR made the most sense. Very controlled stage volumes and an easy FOH mixing task. The thing I like most about running FR is the versatility, all the different tones I never get board with my rig anymore.

I use my Axe with an amp/cab for live shows for the "feel" onstage, but I also run a direct line with cab sim to the board for the mix. Best of both worlds, with added flexibility - if you can't go direct for whatever reason (soundman is prejudiced against digital gear; small stage with not enough inputs; not enough XLR's; crappy or non-existent PA; inexplicable grounding issues), or can't use the amp/cab (stage volume issues; blown fuse; asked to use the headliner/house gear that doesn't gel with your Axe; blown speakers), you can always fall back to the other and at least make it through the show. I've actually had all those happen to me at one point or another, sometimes within minutes of start time, and having that flexibility has certainly saved my butt a few times.

Mike

It really depend on your use application... In small places where volume needs to be controlled FR excels. If you gig in a place that requires it or with another guitar player that uses a guitar cab thats what I would use as well. Rest assured the Axe can do both really good ;) .

there is some sort of magic around 125Hertz (give or take) some people think that the marshall 4 x12 cabs resonate to with guitars, it gives that Les Paul some "wood" sound. If you play with the AXE and use the IRs you can get it with FFR speakers like the Atomic amps. As example, listen to Dweezil Zappa live and he has Frank's "sweathog" Marshall/Les Paul sound nailed, all AXE FX, Atomics and IRs. If you want woof, it will do woof. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom