Market Woes

Rich G.

Experienced
Anyone else getting killed in this market??

Getting a little tired of seeing my portfolio decrease 2% daily since the beginning of October.

Bought a bunch of DGRO on the dip this morning. Timed it perfectly. Already up 1%. If there's another dip I'll probably buy some VOO.

Nope. Scooping up some great deals. In it for the marathon, not the sprint. Just moved a bunch more over to some Vanguard funds I keep.

A buying opportunity. I’ve also been putting money into bonds/bond funds. They typically don’t do well in a rising interest rate market but they have not been as impacted as I expected and it allows for diversification. If you hold the bond to maturity there is no yield risk. Additionally, all my cash has been in CD ladders. Much better return than money market etc.

Bought a bunch of DGRO on the dip this morning. Timed it perfectly. Already up 1%. If there's another dip I'll probably buy some VOO.

My timing was the opposite of perfect. I've had a sizable amount tied up in the market for a decade or so. I've had considerable gains over that time. During that time I just let my savings build up. I finally decided after a decade of saving it wasn't very wise to let all that sit in a bank earning 0% interest. I took 90% of that and put it in the market. Solid things like AMZN, NVDA among others. When did I do that? 9/14. The big red run started two weeks later. :(:mad::confused:

I know you don't technically lose anything until you sell... I can hope for things to bounce back, but at the same time I don't want to be caught holding the bag as they drop further and further.

Let me tweak that a smidge....
ugh. Yes, unfortunately 2018 has not been a good year overall... but particularly Oct.

Why are you playing with individual shares? Buy ETFs. Unless this is your full time job, you can't trade better than the machines can.
TBO, I hadn't looked into or considered ETF's. I do have my retirement set up with mutual funds and I also contribute to a Roth IRA in VFINX. Looking at some random "top" ETF's they look like they are in the same October sinking boat dropping 10%-15%. I will definitely do some more research on ETF's and see if there are any I want to transfer funds to. Thanks for the heads up!

Why individual shares? After losing time after time on "hot" stock tips I revised my strategy. I started to invest only in what I like and/or use. Ever since then I've had good results. My first investment after revising my strategy was Panera Bread. I'd still have the stock today if they hadn't been bought out last year and went private. A couple others that have done well for me are TXRH (I like their biscuits!) and V.

My financial planner has us in a mix of index funds and other mutual funds. And, as has already been said (though not by name), dollar cost averaging is your friend. You automatically buy more shares when prices are down, and less when they're up. I've been advised that, unless you really, really, really know what you're doing, timing the market is too risky.

On a side note - my 16 year old has been saving his money (works at a pizza place), just waiting for the market to dip so he can buy more mutual funds. I made him take a Dave Ramsey course and some of it stuck - the power of time and compounding in this case. I think he has his eyes on early retirement, and he hasn't even started working yet!

+1.

Your best bet is index funds: VOO, IVV, SPY. The average investor shouldn't buy individual stocks. Buy ETFs or mutual funds that track indexes like the S&P, Rusl, etc.

Also, leveraged index funds if you like more risk. Made 7% on TQQQ today trading volitility.

I just looked at my investments and I've lost almost everything I've made in the past 3 years :( I made a ton in January 2018 but then lost it all a month later. It had almost gotten back to where it was in January but now it has lost more than it ever has.

The best investment I've ever made was buying an Axe-Fx II and now an Axe-Fx III. The rate of return from firmware updates, happiness and not having to buy real amps, cabs or tubes is pretty crazy if you think about it. :D

If you guys are tired of losing money in the stock market, please PM me and I can advise you on my top ten other ways to lose money. Seriously, after 28 years in business, I'm an expert. My fees are low (actually, that's tip #4!) and my advice is almost guaranteed to help you feel better about your market losses. ;)

Back
Top Bottom