Mark IIC+ Tips

So I dialled up Cliffs settings, with stock cabs F060 and F061 as Stereo Ultra res. That was 30 minutes ago.. so much for my lunch break!! Here is the offending preset. Scene 1 is rhythm, Scene 2 is lead; same blocks, just alternate settings on "Y" to solo your lunchtime away. Never explored this amp model before, i'm suitably impressed. I did crank the Mid dial on the amp up around 5.

AXE FX II only.
For AXE FX XL users use the CSV file to get the settings.

Attachments

• BOOGIE MKIIC+.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 179
  • BOOGIE MKIIC+ CSV ONLY.csv
    11.4 KB · Views: 103
There's been a lot of complaining about the Mark IIC+ models. So I begrudgingly dragged the amp out of storage today (as it weighs a metric ton) and repeated the measurements and did some A/B tests. As expected the models are extremely accurate.

That being said it is a bear to dial in. Here are some tips:

1. The old version of the model incorrectly referenced the Mark IV tone stack. These tone stacks are identical except for the taper of the mid pot. The IIC+ has a linear pot and the Mark IV has a Log10 pot. I had it backwards in my earlier comments. My guess is that Mesa found that turning the midrange down sounds best (and it does) so they changed the pot taper to do this automatically since noon on a Log10 pot is equal to a 1.0 on a linear pot.

2. Commensurate with (1) I found myself turning the midrange down as well as the bass and turning the treble up.

3. I think the default Master Volume value is a bit high so you may want to turn that down. I've reduced the default for Quantum 2.03.

4. Turn the bright switch on. Every bit of information I've found says that people typically used the Pull Bright on the Volume knob. This is equivalent to the Bright switch under the Treble control on the model. I always turn it on and I've set it on by default for Q2.03.

5. USE THE EQ. The tone stack is pre-distortion which is atypical for a high-gain amp. Tone stacks are almost always post-distortion. Since the tone stack is pre-distortion you need to do your post distortion tone shaping using the EQ. The tone controls set the feel and the distortion texture, the EQ shapes the final tone. I like to do a gentle V-curve.

These were my settings for a killer high-gain tone:
Model: USA IIC+
Input Drive: 8.1
Overdrive: 9-10
Bass: 1.0
Midrange: 1.8
Treble: 8.9
Presence: 4.5
MV: 4.0
Level: -20 dB
Bright Switch ON
80 Hz: 4.8
240 Hz: 2.6
750 Hz: -4.5
2200: -0.2
6600: 0

Thank you very very much!! I had some problems with the model and now I have solved them thanks to you!
You have been very kind and with an absolutely incomparable professionalism.
Thank you,
Coby

I am not a high gain player, really. And I am not a Mesa guy at all, (even though I discovered that only recently) I gravitate towards Marshalls. But I tried Cliffs settings and I was like - hm doesn't do anything for me ..., I started chugging some power chords and 15 minutes later I realized that I am still chugging away on something that I really do not like to play that much - now that is power of QUANTUM 2.0x

:)

Thanks Cliff. I've had a bunch of Boogies. Currently a Mark IIB, Mark IIC+, Mark IV, Mark V
(among others). They are great amps, but can be difficult to dial in. Hard for me to use in
smaller clubs. The line between perfect and rip your head off is pretty fine.
Using the guidelines above is a great baseline for finding your sound. Also, the Mesa manuals
provide detailed information on how all the controls relate to one another. Check them out.
I always managed to find something I missed when reviewing the manuals..

I hate to say this and I'm sure I'm going to get beat up over this.....But with this level of support.....and the versatility of the unit.........you should charge more for the Axe!

Were people still complaining about the amp model not making them sound exactly like John Petrucci?

I noted the tips you gave were an awful lot like the settings Ola used in his demo video of the real amp, and voila there he is commenting he uses similar settings :laughing:

The amp model in the Fractal is fantastic, and with the right know-how it will still sound super aggressive and modern

Wow incredible thread, I had been avoiding this amp as I had no joy with it. Now have a killer tone thank you !!!

I know most people aren't looking to this model for this, but I always thought that the IIC+ model had the richest clean cleans.

Back
Top Bottom