Managing preset volume balance on the fly

benson

Inspired
Loving v11 and the new AE3! Is there a quick and easy way to tweak preset output volume in order to balance them for live use? I'd love one of the ABCD modifiers to be linked to output level so I could quickly tweak it up or down then hit save during sound check or even a gig if necessary. As it is I crouch down on my old knees, navigate on the FP then save the change. I've generally missed half the song at that point :D

Yek more importantly what is a forum baron per se? Lol. You know everything, i had no idea the axe could do this until now.
/goes back to poring over the axe fx II wiki scroll by candlelight

Reactions: yek
Some cautionary notes.

- Vol Inc and Dec only work for OUT1, not OUT2.
- Using these will always automatically save the preset. Which means that if you've pushed an IA to switch on some effect, that effect state will be saved along with the preset volume.

personally I'd be more inclined to take the time to totally nail the relative levels between presets / different tones within the same preset [for the multi-tone / multi-function types <like me>]

then you only need to set the level of one preset during the sound-check, and everything else will be right
and then if during the gig you need a little more or less, you walk up to the Axe and tweek the output level knob..
given that all of the tone's relative levels are set correctly, you would have now fixed your level for all of them..

the issue I have with output level / final tone level control is that you can end up having to ride the XP all night long..
it's essentially a hiding to nothing...
which is why I take a great deal of care and time getting this side of things totally sorted before hand....

Some cautionary notes.

- Using these will always automatically save the preset. Which means that if you've pushed an IA to switch on some effect, that effect state will be saved along with the preset volume.

Its worth mentioning that you can set an option to Copy out1 to out 2 in I/O menu/ audio tab. This way vol incr/decr affect both outputs

Ok so have this set up now and it works a treat, hopefully this has saved me a ton of time at rehearsals and gigs. A word to the wise though, when you assign the midi cc's to your IAs don't accidentally use a value of 37 instead of 36 because that causes Amp1 to bypass as soon as you switch to your preset which can get a tad confusing :D

I use Vol. Inc/Dec also. Just a word of Caution, when you use it, it only works on Scene 1. So if you use Scenes and switch to another Scene 2-8 it will hit match the previous Level you had programmed. I'm going to suggest a fix in the Wish List so when you use it, it will work on all Scenes 1-8.

Last edited:
Some cautionary notes.

eh? as far as i know, these commands change the main patch volume slider (in recall page right). surely this affects out 1 and out 2 if you have copy out 1 to out 2 enabled?

Yes, in that scenario of course. But if you're using the FXL block to send a signal to OUT2: no.

It would be very convenient to have a master volume control on the front panel that correlates to the specifc preset you are on....then it would be a matter of just adjusting that on the fly..

I use Vol INCR/DECR and love it.
It's very helpful during rehearsals, few clicks and I'm there, much more effective than sitting @ home and trying to adjust according to a meter or something….

You know what would be cool is a laptop with Axe Edit full screen sitting on top of the rack. Then you would have a wireless mouse on your guitar so you could adjust levels without reaching down to the pc.

You know what would be cool is a laptop with Axe Edit full screen sitting on top of the rack. Then you would have a wireless mouse on your guitar so you could adjust levels without reaching down to the pc.

yeah, cos that's easier than tapping a footswitch a couple of time while you're actually playing....and you get to mod your guitar with a cool wireless mouse stuck on it...

I'd love one of the ABCD modifiers to be linked to output level so I could quickly tweak it up or down then hit save during sound check or even a gig if necessary

If you assign one of the knobs as a level modifier (like in a vol/pan or filter after the amp block) you can do this. You'd just have to press control to get to the ABCD page before adjusting.

You know, since the last few software releases, and now v11 and AE3, I'm even more in love with my AxeFX and little gems like this just make it even better. Gawd bless Cliff, the team and this community.

yeah, cos that's easier than tapping a footswitch a couple of time while you're actually playing....and you get to mod your guitar with a cool wireless mouse stuck on it...

My cousin came up with the idea and I think its a pretty good one. There are allot of situations where you are interacting with a PC while playing guitar and always having to go over to the computer to adjust something. If you had a big enough screen and a wireless mouse pad built into the guitar it would be cool as hell. He even put a motion one in where he just pointed the guitar at the screen and moved where he wanted it to be. Have you ever watched some videos from the Namm shows they are always reaching down while playing guitar and adjusting things on the PC. Imagine recording you could start and stop your recording from where ever you are standing. It is a very cool and simple idea.

Go for it then fella :encouragement:

I too do a fair bit of mouse tweaking whilst playing, but only in pre-production and never live

However, as convenient as it might be, I wouldn't personally ever want a guitar with that built in. Just working around it and gradually tweaking a few times gets me there soon enough :)

The only issue I am having with vol inc/dec now is that it applies to each scene separately. My scenes are just about always volume leveled to each other perfectly, but relative levels on presets is where I usually need to apply things.

Since they apply only to scenes now, it has pretty much lost its value now. I wish there was a way to switch between vol incr/decr applying to scenes or to he preset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Back
Top Bottom