Man Cave/Studio ...from the ground up!!

It's like seatbelts in cars. None of us used those as kids, or helmets on bikes, yet we survived.
Those of us who are still around survived, but that’s a skewed sample.

No one had a bike helmet when I was 11 years old, but a helmet would have saved me a night in the hospital with a concussion, trying to navigate hallways with floors and ceilings that constantly shifted at different angles, struggling to form complete sentences.

Hijack ended. I just had to pass the word — safety measures aren’t silly.

I wonder, did they ever do a remaster where they put the bass back in?

Not that I know of.

Florescent's? I know they can cause problems, but I never had any issues with the ones in my basement. They were the U shaped type, 2 fixtures 2 bulbs in each. But LED's are the way of the future, way of the future, way of the future……way of the future. Although I haven't had much luck with them lasting longer, but YRMV.

Not that I know of.

Florescent's? I know they can cause problems, but I never had any issues with the ones in my basement. They were the U shaped type, 2 fixtures 2 bulbs in each. But LED's are the way of the future, way of the future, way of the future……way of the future. Although I haven't had much luck with them lasting longer, but YRMV.

Well, LEDs have pretty much the same problem if they're pulsed, just a different frequency. We tried that in our rehearsal space and had to exchange the lights because they caused a very annoying stroboscopic effect on the drummers sticks.

Bman, where did that come from, did I miss a post? You're right tho, that album's mix and tone was terrible, it sounded better live on VHS!

haha... It was a response to the comparison of seatbelts/safety etc.. and studios. As in the studio could get a little dangerous. I was gonna reference Biggie/Tupac but just recently watched a YouTube vid where the mixers for the AJFA album said that Lars deliberately killed the bass in the mix.

Those of us who are still around survived, but that’s a skewed sample.

No one had a bike helmet when I was 11 years old, but a helmet would have saved me a night in the hospital with a concussion, trying to navigate hallways with floors and ceilings that constantly shifted at different angles, struggling to form complete sentences.

Hijack ended. I just had to pass the word — safety measures aren’t silly.
OK. Well whatever. Regarding helmuts, I hate them and won't wear them. Although I'm not required to. It's not that I think they're silly, but whatever. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine. I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt however and will not drive the car unless everyone is buckled in. I think you missed my point.

haha... It was a response to the comparison of seatbelts/safety etc.. and studios. As in the studio could get a little dangerous. I was gonna reference Biggie/Tupac but just recently watched a YouTube vid where the mixers for the AJFA album said that Lars deliberately killed the bass in the mix.

Ahh, ok gotcha. ;)

Well, LEDs have pretty much the same problem if they're pulsed, just a different frequency. We tried that in our rehearsal space and had to exchange the lights because they caused a very annoying stroboscopic effect on the drummers sticks.

I can see where that would be annoying, like having a really fast strobe going?

OK. Well whatever. Regarding helmuts, I hate them and won't wear them. Although I'm not required to. It's not that I think they're silly, but whatever. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine. I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt however and will not drive the car unless everyone is buckled in. I think you missed my point.
I think I got your point (though I'm willing to be wrong about that :)). But I didn't get your analogy.

Resurrecting the thread because I’m finally starting to build out the room. It’s not gonna be a sweet sound proofed studio :(. But definitely an upgrade from the tight space I’m using now.

I have a question about light dimmers and the buzz they create. Is there a dimmer that doesn’t create a buzz? I’d like to be able to lower lights for ambience and movie watching.

Resurrecting the thread because I’m finally starting to build out the room. It’s not gonna be a sweet sound proofed studio :(. But definitely an upgrade from the tight space I’m using now.

I have a question about light dimmers and the buzz they create. Is there a dimmer that doesn’t create a buzz? I’d like to be able to lower lights for ambience and movie watching.

I used LED lights for my sound proof studio. No buzz....

I used LED lights for my sound proof studio. No buzz....
Are they on a dimmer? I read and experienced that being on the same circuit as a light with a dimmer switch created a buzz in my AX8. Just trying to avoid that but want a dimmer.

Dimmers that are based on autotransformers generate little or no interference. But they are expensive and big. The dimmers you can buy at the local hardware store are solid-state wave choppers. They generate RF noise that passes through connected power wires, which act as antennas and radiate the interference into the air, to be picked up by your... pickups.

Are they on a dimmer? I read and experienced that being on the same circuit as a light with a dimmer switch created a buzz in my AX8. Just trying to avoid that but want a dimmer.
No, because I didn't need/want them.
The LEDs I bought have a special dimmer (if you want to order it).
Call your local lighting supply company and ask them some questions. They helped me pick what I needed.

Back
Top Bottom