Major ding in new Telecaster

jamn4jc

Experienced
I managed to dump my new Brandy Wine Telecaster (American Deluxe) out of its case and put a major chip in the paint. Our local Sam Ash has an excellent luthier, but I am not sure he can fix something like this. Someone else looked at it and said that because of the type of paint and/or finish the entire guitar may have to be done. Anyone had any experience getting something like this repaired?

View attachment 17161

Found it interesting to find out that the newer cases have latches that are TSA approved. I find it difficult to get them to latch. On several occasions, it looks like they are closed, but not really latched.

Had a similar chip in my telecaster (same color to boot). I ended up sucking it up for a long time and then sold it....then bought it back about 2 years later from the guy online. :)

I ended up getting a new body for it because it was extremely heavy. Then that body got smashed to bits in the mail (and it was beautiful too). The replacement body had horrible looking grain....I figured that I'm just supposed to have an ugly tele.

If it sounds good then I'd try to live with it. You'll never get it to match up IMHO unless you are really willing to pay.

As far as I'm concerned Fenders that are banged up are better! Some guys pay the Custom Shop big bucks to thrash their guitars! I'd say consider the ding a "mojo mark" and be happy!

You think Jimi would've cared about that? ;) RNR!

I dinged my otherwise mint PRS CU24 in the lamest way. I dropped a tool on it.. I hate that ding since it's not a RNR ding. :(

Luthiers have widely-varying wood-finishing skills. Some can match a finish almost magically. Others can repair the finish with a less than-perfect match.

The best I can offer is the fact that you can rest in the knowledge that some folks will pay a pretty penny to have their brand-new guitars professionally forked up. :)

That shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just have to rebuild the edge a bit, color match it and then lacquer and polish it. Any qualified luthier should be able to do it for around $100 - $125.

I managed to dump my new Brandy Wine Telecaster (American Deluxe) out of its case and put a major chip in the paint. Our local Sam Ash has an excellent luthier, but I am not sure he can fix something like this. Someone else looked at it and said that because of the type of paint and/or finish the entire guitar may have to be done. Anyone had any experience getting something like this repaired?

View attachment 17161

Found it interesting to find out that the newer cases have latches that are TSA approved. I find it difficult to get them to latch. On several occasions, it looks like they are closed, but not really latched.

This happened to my Musicman Petrucci guitar due to the mishandling of Emirates airlines.
I had to live with it or pay 1000 dollars for a new body....

I say take it apart and give it a good dose of road rash out in the parking lot, put it back together then sell it for twice what you paid for it and buy another.

In all seriousness, it must have been quite a whack to put a big chip in your Telecaster. Modern Fender poly finishes are pretty tough.

My AVRI 57 Strat has the nitro that dings when you look at it, practically. I had two big chips in it after only a few weeks of ownership.

I know it sucks but it eventually happens to all of us. Even a new car always gets its first ding. I'm so sorry this happened but if it does not affect its playing performance keep rocking on. If you have to get it fixed you will find someone who can do it everything can be fixed.

Yep that's a chunk ... er ... a chip . I feel for ya man . I think repairable if you want to go that route . I always ding up my guitars no matter how hard I try - I dropped my favorite while playing , landed on the headstock made an auful sound as it was plugged in and loud hah ! kerplooongggh very Djenty .Anyone remember El Kabong ? ( Sp ) the cartoon dude who hit people over the head with his guitar , I wonder how he got them fixed so fast , maybe he just had a bunch of em just for Kabonging.

Unfortunately, Tele's just love dings, being the indestructible planks that they are. My 1992 has a nice one on the upper bout in line with the bas of the neck. Leaned forward while playing at a workbench and my strap went slack. Dang!

I asked my luthier about repair and he said the best thing I could probably do for the value was apply some black marker to the site (it is in the black region of a sunburst body). Sounded odd, but way better ($$) than having the piece filled, sanded, and repainted.

Short version - live with it if you can, sell it if you can't (I've done both). Just be comforted by the fact that there are a lot of us out here playing dinged Tele's.

Some call it damage I call it character.
Dont get me wrong its a new guitar and it's beat.
But if your anything like me, no matter how good the repair you will always see it (if you know what I mean)

John

I remember seeing Sammy Hagar (pre VH) and he brought out a brand new red guitar to play for a song. He told the crowd something like it wasn't rock n roll enough for him yet, and proceeded to bang it up a lot on stage and the crowd was cheering the whole time he was trashing it.

Any major ding on my guitars has a story behind it, so maybe make up a cool story about what happened to yours?
j/k

hope you can get it repaired to your liking.

Thanks for the feedback and comments. I have a Les Paul that I have owned for 28 years; it looks and feels like an old worn pair of jeans That is character. I'm not sure that I am quite ready for a chunk that big out of a guitar that is about 2 months old. I also don't get it with the overdone relic jobs that I see floating around. To each his own. My biggest fear is that the paint around the already large gash is compromised and before too long, the guitar will have a bigger bald spot than I do :roll. I am OK with a repair job that may not match 100%. That would still offer some protection with a dash of character. I will let you know how it turns out.

You should see the state of my Cu24. There's dings, scratches, finish missing and the neck has had 1/2 an inch sanded off the back. It all adds to the mojo and makes your guitar yours. I say bash it some more. :)

Back
Top Bottom