Main stream music in your country

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
Hi all,
I'm so sad and irritated when i ear the main-stream "music" that is given to our youth... I guess it's very variable in each country, and i guess i'm talkin like an old guy (which i am) but sh**, who can say this is music ?

What i hate is that they call this rap music... There's absolutely no flow, the lyrics are indigent, the instruments sound like a 80s casio keyboard...

Share the mainstream music in your country you can't stand anymore ;)
I'm curious

Honestly, I’ve heard worse..at least there is almost a melody in the bland auto tuned vocal...but the clip was very short..sure there is no pleasant surprise further on.

Music snobbery really is the saddest thing.

So there is stuff in this world you don't like? Ignore it - concentrate on the things that does it for you.

Why is there a need to share things you don't like? Do you need to define yourself by the things you don't like?

I hope this is just a product of a bad day. We all have those.

Now start a thread with all that great music you love.

Have a nice day! :)

I'm not asking for your opinion, just share the main stream music the main medias stream in your country. Is it good music?
That's not always a matter of taste, you can't always answer it's a matter of taste to every question. There are arguments that can define bad music
Of course you can like bad music, i personaly like some shitty things like some 90s eurodance...
Why i share this is because i feel alone against all this shit that enters our child ears. If nobody never says stop it will be worse and worse.
Do you think the youth listens to this because it pleases them? No, it's been proven that something you ear again and again finally pleases you even if it didn't at first...
This is musical inculcation

So this thread is curiosity about what is force-put in your ears in each country. This is quite heterogeneous
Can you share something from where you live?

Last edited:
Music snobbery really is the saddest thing.

So there is stuff in this world you don't like? Ignore it - concentrate on the things that does it for you.

Why is there a need to share things you don't like? Do you need to define yourself by the things you don't like?

I hope this is just a product of a bad day. We all have those.

Now start a thread with all that great music you love.

Have a nice day! :)
The problem is, an entire generation is growing up on 'product', not music, as the link I posted above details. I've exposed my 11-year-old son to all types of music. His preference is old Genesis. Most kids will never get the chance to make an informed choice, and will potentially be denied great art at the hands of a commercial machine. It saddens me to think his exposure might be limited to "Shake it Off" had he had a different kind of dad. It saddens me that many of his friends, who know nothing but Taylor Swift, might appreciate Fifth of Firth, Supper's Ready, or Cinema Show as much as my son does. He recognizes the difference in depth and quality even at his tender age. But he is not fundamentally different than his friends. He has simply had exposure to both worlds.

I don't believe that "everything is good and valid". Some music is just plain crap (as is some "art"). And it's ok to recognize it and say so. There is a movement to eradicate objective standards in art and literature. And it's why much contemporary art and music is $hit.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to AM/FM radio in years, got rid of SiriusXM a few months ago. Done with the crap they're pushing. I have a SiriusXM radio that is on Real Jazz that's on a lifetime membership from 1997. They don't have a good prog guitar channel so they're otherwise useless to me. Never been willing to pay for Pandora or Spotify or Apple music (why does everyone want $10 a month from me? Get out of my pockets!). So i get into the stuff I find out about here and elsewhere that's guitar related, radio (and, frankly, girl) repellant. Tons of stuff out there. Don't need the radio or anything else because I'm just not that nostalgic for music from high school like most people tend to be.

One of the things about radio is how they make me hate a band. Because of classic rock I hate Jethro Tull with a passion. How many times to I need to heard "Thick as a Brick"? I also hate Bush because radio shoved "Glycerine" in my ear one too many times. I'm over Metallica, Rush, et cetera and yadda yadda, so on and so forth. If I never hear "Barracuda" again it'll be too soon. As far as pop radio, that died with Prince. Nothing to see there, moving along.

I don't want to sound too much like an old codger here - BUT - I do understand what the op is saying. I have never been a radio listener - I have always found music through other bands I like - the t-shirts they wore, a mention in the liner notes, who they tour with and of course word of mouth with friends, and tape trading. So I guess I have never really been "spoiled" by stuff on the radio. I still enjoy the hell out of Rush, Zep, etc etc etc...
Today, it seems as its almost impossible to not hear popular music as it seems to be everywhere. Hell - I went to a party the other night where most people were in my age group ( 44 - 54 ), and all they played all night was top 40 and rap... And whenever we have friends over, I'm quickly reminded by my wife and friends that not everyone likes to listen to the Allman Bros and Dream Theater. Wait a minute I say - this is our house and this is the music we enjoy listening to - why do I have to cave in to listen to top 40?? Its always a source of frustration for me.
Anyway - I think the other thing is that we are all musicians here, and we know how hard it is, and how long it takes to get somewhat proficient at an instrument and develop song writing skills. And a lot of popular music lacks both. Just my 2 cents...

Main stream is not only on the radio... Tv also streams a lot of these things
So does YouTube

YouTube is where I've done most of my recent musical mining, and how I've found all these really talented kids really doing interesting things with instrumental prog guitar. Not an exact progression but for instance: Picked up on Animals As Leaders at Axe Fest in L.A. in 2012 (also how I picked up on Andy Wood). That lead to Periphery (and Haunted Shores), which led to Plini and Intervals which led to Sithu Aye, which led to Widek, Jakub Zytecki, David Maxim Micic, then I Built The Sky, CHON, and also Rob Scallon, Sarah Longfield, Yvette Young, etc. Then Mestis (which is really great), and some electronic stuff too, like Com Truise, Trifonic, Jake Bowen's electronic EP...

Interesting. Different. Mostly Guitar. That's what I want going into my ear holes from now on. I hope I never hear a bar cover band doing the same old ish again (but I know I will).

I will backtrack a little and say that I did see Dream Theater on Tuesday and they KILLED. So I am willing to revisit old stuff as long as it doesn't suck ass.

Back
Top Bottom