Bug? Magic 8 ball in 8.01

I confirm this.

I'm the guy who started the "please keep the ball" poll.

The first thing which comes to my mind is that the behavior reported in the OP is related to the new pitch detection.
On the other hand we, as users, can only report what's happening and not speculate on what's going on under the hood.

Cliff, please don't remove the 8 ball.

All people who have issues with it, please just look straight at the rest of the tuner and ignore the 8 ball.

Thank you. :)

...and as the code is removed to effectively neutralize the Magic 8 ball, it screams defiantly "goo-goo-goo-joob" and keels over....

Wow. This is an incomprehensible response on several levels.

I get it. I could se that he doesn't want to have to deal with the support costs (not to mention the insults received on prior threads).

E.G. He has said in the past that he was going to implement tremolo using "real" tube bias (or something like that), but decided against it because he didn't want to deal with the presumed support calls of people not getting it.

It works great for me and I'd like to see it stick. But if he/support is consuming cycles having to explain it (and this, on free firmware upgrades), I can see why he would want to remove it.

I'll also point out that mocking Cliff with that Star Wars reference, after he politely but authoritatively responded that nothing in the code had changed, was rude.

Last edited:
However, I'll absolutely stand behind what I said, since this is a feature which really does not affect the usability in any significant way. It's great when it works, and if you're having a problem with it not working then you can use the standard > < tuner, and obviously your ear. If that offends you or makes you think me insensitive, so be it.

I take your point, but I disagree: it does significantly impact usability for me. The tuner without the spinner was not accurate enough for my preference. This is reinforced by the fact that the tuner display on my Liquid Foot, which uses the arrows but not the spinner, has me turning around during shows to look at the AFX display until recently. So I was delighted when the 8 ball came out. Unless there is some version of the tuner that has as accurate a display as my Peterson or my Turbo Tuner, I'll probably just go back to using them. And that's an option, as you point out. But it affects usability and utility. In normal practice during a show I cannot just use my ear between songs or sets because it is loud and obnoxious. :)

You were not the first to call me a complainer, so forgive me for responding to you as the straw that broke the camels back for me. But you were unintentionally feeding the fire by labeling me as such. The little rant that follows is not directed at you, steverosburg...

This is a bug report forum. In fact, it is one of the primary channels that the manufacturer has chosen for that very purpose, apparently. Nobody will ever know whether an issue is a "minority" issue or not until data is collected. If every time the start of a data feed is shut down because (by definition) it is still the "minority" of the data, then nothing would get fixed.

It would be one thing for FAS to say "I'm sorry you are having an issue. We have no explanation at this time, but we will see if other people report a similar experience" and then hopefully they would ask for input from other users. Maybe only users who are using LF pedalboards have this issue, in which case (shock!) there might be a fix. But here, they seem to have responded in what looks like a petty way. Like I said, maybe Cliff just had a bad week...happens to the best of us. Or maybe he was just joking. But if anyone deserves to be called out, it would be a manufacturer who responds to a bug report like this by basically saying "Fine...that feature is gone now. Happy? Now you ruined it for everybody!"

THIS IS A BUG REPORT FORUM! Anyone, including Cliff, who is reading here and not expecting to see "complaints" for issues that often only affect "the minority" is missing the boat, IMO. And a manufacturer who responds the way I am reading this response risks losing customer loyalty. Blaming the user, especially on a public forum, is not a smart move even when the majority of people don't have the issue. There are too many variables involved to be dismissive of the experience of a few people, variables that might just make for a legitimate bug.

The minority always ruin it for the majority.

Well if that doesn’t totally suck, since when does the minority rule, what the hell happened to democracy? The customer voted won and now gets the shaft? I was amazed at how well the 8-ball lifted the tuner from good to great, now I have too re rack my strobe tuner. Thanks to the hand full of power whiners, thanks guys, much appreciated, maybe I can piss on your lawn on occasion.

Well if that doesn’t totally suck, since when does the minority rule, what the hell happened to democracy?
Luckily most companies are not subject to democracies. We would probably not have such a great product if we let the majority rule. They do oblige when it's a good idea, but that's different.

Thanks to the hand full of power whiners, thanks guys, much appreciated, maybe I can piss on your lawn on occasion.
There are no power whiners except the likes of you that are turning up now...
The guy just made an observation in a bug forum and one other guy confirmed it.

Luckily most companies are not subject to democracies. We would probably not have such a great product if we let the majority rule. They do oblige when it's a good idea, but that's different.

What kind of logic is that? We had a pol, the keepers won, Cliff agreed and now we’re back to square one. Kinda wishy washy I’d say, no?

There are no power whiners except the likes of you that are turning up now...
The guy just made an observation in a bug forum and one other guy confirmed it.

Yeah, I guess the likes of me are not too happy having their equipment downgraded in future FW updates (downgrades?) to satisfy a disappearing few.

What kind of logic is that? We had a pol, the keepers won, Cliff agreed and now we’re back to square one. Kinda wishy washy I’d say, no?

Yeah, I guess the likes of me are not too happy having their equipment downgraded in future FW updates (downgrades?) to satisfy a disappearing few.

I respectfully suggest that the real issue is with how FAS appears to be handling things, rather than justified reports of issues in a dedicated bug report forum.

Cliff, just ignore those people. Seriously. It's a feature that is clearly working for the majority of your customers, and one that the majority has clearly stated they want to stay. It works perfectly for me and many others, and I'd hate to see it go. You can't please everyone, but as you've said yourself, it's the minority of people who aren't happy right now. Why would you piss off the majority of your customers to please the minority? It makes no sense at all.

Well if that doesn’t totally suck, since when does the minority rule, what the hell happened to democracy? The customer voted won and now gets the shaft? I was amazed at how well the 8-ball lifted the tuner from good to great, now I have too re rack my strobe tuner. Thanks to the hand full of power whiners, thanks guys, much appreciated, maybe I can piss on your lawn on occasion.

What a great response!!
So now people who have issues shouldn't bring them up for risk of features being pulled from the Axe and people pissing on their lawn? Yeah, that seems logical...:roll
Hope you remember that the day you're having problems?

Cliff, just ignore those people. Seriously. It's a feature that is clearly working for the majority of your customers, and one that the majority has clearly stated they want to stay. It works perfectly for me and many others, and I'd hate to see it go. You can't please everyone, but as you've said yourself, it's the minority of people who aren't happy right now. Why would you piss off the majority of your customers to please the minority? It makes no sense at all.

False dichotomy. Nobody asked him to remove anything. Why does he have to choose between pissing off any two groups of people?

But I agree with you at the same time...if that's the only way he is going to think about it, then yes, just ignore those of us with issues.

I didn't see greiswig complain or whine or being "not happy"? He started a thread in a bug forum about issues he's having, and suddenly people find him and others with problems responsible for the pull-back of the ball?
Geez, I hope noone will have a bug with the tonematching feature or the Friedman HBE amp, cause I happen to like those, and would hate to see them removed...

I respectfully suggest that the real issue is with how FAS appears to be handling things, rather than justified reports of issues in a dedicated bug report forum.

Yes, you are absolutely correct and I apologize to any offended, it was a spontaneous combustion type of thing, it just pissed me off. I just got done removing my rack strobe tuner a few days ago thinking this issue was history and now this crap. WTF!!??

False dichotomy. Nobody asked him to remove anything. Why does he have to choose between pissing off any two groups of people?

But I agree with you at the same time...if that's the only way he is going to think about it, then yes, just ignore those of us with issues.

I didn't see greiswig complain or whine or being "not happy"? He started a thread in a bug forum about issues he's having, and suddenly people find him and others with problems responsible for the pull-back of the ball?
Geez, I hope noone will have a bug with the tonematching feature or the Friedman HBE amp, cause I happen to like those, and would hate to see them removed...

Fair enough -- I realize that grieswig wasn't asking for it to be removed. I think calling it a bug may be a bit of a stretch, but the post itself seemed like a reasonable question about how it worked and if it could work better. I wasn't so much saying that there was something wrong with his comments when I said "ignore them." I was speaking more to Cliff's overreaction to comments that he considers negative.

Cliff, I'm sorry if you're offended to hear it called an "overreaction," but please step back a bit from this and think about it. There's no other word for it. You admit the feature is desired by and working for the majority. Removing it because someone posted a question about it or asked if it could possibly work differently is an overreaction.

Last edited:
Over reaction ? maybe! I can certainly understand Cliff's frustration , he has much bigger fish to fry , in development of the Ax firmware (which has my vote), having headaches from a feature he probaby dropped in to enhace the tuner for us, which was'nt at all necessary, would make me wish i'd never messed with it if it started distracting me! (Therefore remove it ,problem solved) I have a bit of variation on the 8 ball on my unit ,but it's easily overlooked for me ! I hear stuff most people can't when it comes to small variations in tune or tone ( some may say i'm nuts,but i can!)and the difference in centering the arrows as opposed to stopping the 8 ball isn't detectable, so it's not a problem for me at all, I'd want the 8 ball there personally . I usually tune with the arrows and set up my intonation with the 8 ball ! Do they really have to perfectly sync?I really have difficulty with understanding why the minority here can't simply ignore one or the other! Possible problems should be reported, but guys we can avoid these threads getting off track and out of hand by simply thinking before posting! many times it isn't about what you say as much as how you say it!

Last edited:
The logic in my statement was that ppl that are succesful are sometimes more intelligent than most of their customers. I think this is the case here and that Fractal is making mostly great decisions and striking a good balance. If it would truely be a democracy..., I've seen ppl asking for drum computers in the Axe, think you can update forever, etc. :mrgreen The balance would soon be gone. I opt for intelligence at the top ;) even if I won't always agree.

Admittedly, I have the advantage here: my strobo tuner is still racked :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom