Made an interesting discovery today - FRFR guys take note

Re: Made an interesting discovery today - FRFR guys take not

Sidivan said:
Add "lumpy" to that list, Xrist04.

I use "spongey" and "sounds like marshmallows" a lot. Nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about, ever. When I figure out a better way to describe it, I'll say that.
Lumpy was probably a bad choice of word. You know when you see the frequency plot of a cab and it looks like the a drawing of a mountain range, all humps and hollows, peaks and troughs? "Humpy" would of been more appropriate description but an even worse choice of word ;)

I've used the oval cab a few times before, on lead stuff only from memory. The first time, I was messing about trying to get the sound I wanted but not quite getting there. While playing about with cabs I thought I'd have a laugh and put it on the weirdo lil oval cab and :shock:... it was actually like what I was after. :lol:

Neelfy said:
Only had a short time to mess with it, but I see/hear what your sayin Joe.

Works better with some patches than others, works especially well with delay.

I'm looking forward to messin around with it tomorrow when I've got more time.

Thanks for sharing mate, your post is a perfect example of what this forum is all about, sharing discoveries and ideas .

Cheers.

Are you using your delay, before or after the cabs?

I'll have to give this a try.

I need to give this a try.

Hey, for you guys using Dynaudio BM5a can you say that it is a really nice setup - would you say the BM6a would be a worthy extra expense? I want to replace my entry level M-Audio monitors and Dynaudio seems to be the front runner around here (and everywhere) for the Axe.

Johnny Two Tone said:

Hey, for you guys using Dynaudio BM5a can you say that it is a really nice setup - would you say the BM6a would be a worthy extra expense? I want to replace my entry level M-Audio monitors and Dynaudio seems to be the front runner around here (and everywhere) for the Axe.

Hi,

Im using the BM5a Dynaudios. I previously had MAudio BX8A which were ok but chalk and cheese compared to the Dynaudios (priced accordingly)

I mainly use the monitors just to play thru rather than actually monioring recordings and they sound fantastic with the Ultra.

Its hard to beleive that they sound so full coming from a pair of 6.5inch woofers.
I have a home soundproofed playroom so i can play at quite a high volume (louder than you would need for monitoring of recordings) and they cope well.
I get the occasional clip indicator which is mostly due to volume rather than anything else.
My only concern would be that if your into very Bass heavy music they might struggle a bit, in which case the BM6a or something with a greater Bass response might be the way to go
cheers

...or you can buy the accompanying dynaudio subwoofer too.

damn i gotta go to work now, but i use BM5a's as well and i really want to try aussiejoes trick

ah i'll just chuck a sickie.....

This is my first post on this forum although I've been a member and axe user since Nov 09. I read everything on this forum and must say the quality and quantity of info available on this forum is incredible. Sincere thanks to all who contribute.

I have tried out almost every tip I've ever read about since joining and for me and my setup (stereo Srm 450 Mackies) this tip has created the most dramatic change in my patches. The sound was louder, clearer and seemed to have more 'presence' for lack of a better word. I was absolutely stunned by the improvement I was hearing. I spent hours playing last night as I started going through my favourite patches. The problem was that every patch I changed sounded so much better that I ended playing all my favourite riffs before finally reminding myself that the purpose was to check out this change against all my patches. I haven't had that much fun since I first got my Axe. I can't wait to get home tonight to go through some more. This is one tip that will definitely become a standard in my patches from now on.

Thank you so much aussiejoe!

Hey, Im glad I wasnt imagining it!

Maybe a good tip for the Wiki?

Cheers

Well, I must be doing something wrong cause it did not help me at all. :( Tried both parallel and adding it as the second cab. Could it be because I'm already using the stereo enhancer? :roll:

Made a massive difference to my sound on dirty and clean patches. Also helped me create some new patches which I am really happy with.

Fantastic tip Aussiejoe, thank you for sharing this info.

Can someone put this on the wiki please?

aussiejoe said:
Johnny Two Tone said:

Hi,

Im using the BM5a Dynaudios. I previously had MAudio BX8A which were ok but chalk and cheese compared to the Dynaudios (priced accordingly)

I mainly use the monitors just to play thru rather than actually monioring recordings and they sound fantastic with the Ultra.

Its hard to beleive that they sound so full coming from a pair of 6.5inch woofers.
I have a home soundproofed playroom so i can play at quite a high volume (louder than you would need for monitoring of recordings) and they cope well.
I get the occasional clip indicator which is mostly due to volume rather than anything else.
My only concern would be that if your into very Bass heavy music they might struggle a bit, in which case the BM6a or something with a greater Bass response might be the way to go
cheers

Ha, I have the BX8s too. They are pretty low end, that's for sure. I'm betting anything will be a pretty huge upgrade. I was originally going to get a QSC K12 for my Axe but tossed that idea when I realized that there will never be a time when I need that much power. So, really good monitors is what I need now. I was looking at the Mackie HR824 MKIIs as well, which apparently have more low end but are not as clear as the BM5As. So many choices! Maybe I should just get a single Dynaudio BM15a.

Personally I would get a pair of monitors rather than just one. The sound of the Axefx in stereo is excellent and certainly adds a fun factor
cheers

This trick (the oval cab) is certainly interesting. Thanks OP.

Forever, I did the same kinda thing with the 2x12 Boutique cab, one of Jay's I believe. Kinda got out of the habit since 9.x

I searched the Axe-Fx user manual and I can't find anything about the oval cab linking up to Steve Vai's rig. This is a pretty cool easter egg you discovered. I wonder how many more secrets like this are in the Axe.

There's another one. Find it and you get to marry a millionair's daughter.

Nice trick aussiejoe!
It adds mids in a very sweet way. Sweeet for soloing!
Maybe something that can not be replaced by a simple EQ, because an additional cab is a dynamic thing.

Nothing 3D here. It even seems not to sound like two cabs. Sounds to me just like one cab with more sweet mids than before. I take away -4bd to -6db on each of the 2 cabs to have the same volume like one cab.

Bernd

aussiejoe said:
Hey, Im glad I wasnt imagining it!

Maybe a good tip for the Wiki?

Cheers

Agreed... should be in the WiKi as a quick fix for those that are looking for a tone that cuts like a Samurai make'n Sushi :twisted: .

I tried this the other day and with the patch I was using were noticeably louder, and this cab seemed to take over the tone of the other.

I'll probably need to play with it a little more. I just had a few minutes before the family got home.

9-Pin said:
I tried this the other day and with the patch I was using were noticeably louder, and this cab seemed to take over the tone of the other.

I'll probably need to play with it a little more. I just had a few minutes before the family got home.

if u added another cab in parallel, it got louder coz of the parallel signal chains summing up, and all you need to do is lower the master mix volume (4th page in layout)

or you may have been using a "quiet" IR to begin with. In this case, you should jower the new cab volume level, and the master mix vol slightly.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom