Made an interesting discovery today - FRFR guys take note

aussiejoe

Inspired
Made a discovery today which I thought I would pass on in the hope that it helps someone else.

Im running an Ultra thru a FRFR system (Dynaudio studio monitors) and Im using both the cabinet and mic simulations.

I found that if I add a cab/mic combo of the 1x6 Oval cab and R121 mic to any patch with an existing cab/mic set up the sound is far more rich and 3D than with just the original cab/mic setup.

This works for me whether Im using a cab/mic in stereo (and change 1 of the cab/mic to the Oval/R121) or if I add a second cab/mic to the patch chain with the Oval/R121 setup.

I have gone back over about 20 of my original patches - clean, low gain, high gain or whatever and regardless of what cab/mic is currently used when I add the Oval/R121 it brings an added dimension to the patch that sounds excellent. I dont know what it is about the combo of the Oval cab with the R121 mic but it has the "magic".

Check it out
Cheers

Re: Made an interesting discovery today - FRFR guys take not

I what way are you adding the setup? ....series, parallel?

So basically when you add this, you have 2 cabinets and 2 mic setups?

Hi,

In parallel when using a 2 mono cab setup, or as one of the cabs/mics in a stereo setup
So yes, either way you end up with 2 cabs/mics
cheers

I have the exact same setup. I'm gonna try your suggestion and later comment on that.

Interesting... can you post a basic diagram of how your doing this? I would like to give a try.

Hi Sixstring

heres 2 options for routing:

Parallel mono in conjunction with your other cab/mic of choice or
using stereo cab with your other cab/mic of choice

Attachments

• stereo cab setup.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,471
  • parallel set up.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,560

Actually, the Oval cab isn't a cab at all.
As soon as it receives an input signal, it establishes a real-time satellite connection with Steve Vai, who plays exactly what you play, just better and without lagging. And he's currently the only player in the world who can play 3D as well, throwing notes through the Ultra Zone. That's why it sounds better.

aussiejoe said:
Made a discovery today which I thought I would pass on in the hope that it helps someone else.

Im running an Ultra thru a FRFR system (Dynaudio studio monitors) and Im using both the cabinet and mic simulations.

I found that if I add a cab/mic combo of the 1x6 Oval cab and R121 mic to any patch with an existing cab/mic set up the sound is far more rich and 3D than with just the original cab/mic setup.

This works for me whether Im using a cab/mic in stereo (and change 1 of the cab/mic to the Oval/R121) or if I add a second cab/mic to the patch chain with the Oval/R121 setup.

I have gone back over about 20 of my original patches - clean, low gain, high gain or whatever and regardless of what cab/mic is currently used when I add the Oval/R121 it brings an added dimension to the patch that sounds excellent. I dont know what it is about the combo of the Oval cab with the R121 mic but it has the "magic".

Check it out
Cheers

yek said:
As soon as it receives an input signal, it establishes a real-time satellite connection with Steve Vai, who plays exactly what you play, just better and without lagging. And he's currently the only player in the world who can play 3D as well, throwing notes through the Ultra Zone. That's why it sounds better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xtremrofl ... sy ... can not stop laughing

yek said:
As soon as it receives an input signal, it establishes a real-time satellite connection with Steve Vai

Who then does "extensive tone testing" in real time to determine the optimal configuration for your patch. Anyone else find Steve's endorsement blurb on the Axe to be sickeningly sweet?

Will give this cab configuration a try when I get home tonight. Sounds interesting. But I can't help but wonder if it's just the stereo effect you're hearing and any other cab will do.

I'm still groping for a technical definition of "3-D" :lol:

xrist04 said:
I'm still groping for a technical definition of "3-D" :lol:

:lol: it's just like "bloom".that mid range "skronk". :lol:

seriously,could it be that the 1x6 oval is adding mids that are missing in the other cab?

I'm pretty sure this is what it's doing ;)

1194375230bHh5Zt.jpg

Lol Vai and 6 oval ... lol really good !

I was skeptical about that patch ... then I tried it and WOOOOWWW it works x10000 !!
Aussiejoe you made my day ;) Thx.

I tried and it works very well, especially for FAS presets. Thank you for the tip !

aussiejoe said:
Hi Sixstring

heres 2 options for routing:

Parallel mono in conjunction with your other cab/mic of choice or
using stereo cab with your other cab/mic of choice

Gave it a lash with a Recto preset already running a mono Hi Rez 412 V30 and R121 and WoW. The mid presents is all over it Killer find A J...

I've adopted the oval cab for virtually all my patches since owning my Axe-FX. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that I like about it so much but it's probably that I don't find it over coloured. I find it has a neutral tone and a detailed mid-range and I also turn the mic sims off. When I first started using modelling stuff I fell into a trap of taking the cab sims names to literally and going for the big 4X12 options and it didn't work for me. When I thought about it, when a 4X12 is close miced it tends to be just one speaker that gets with the mic with the cab colouration thrown in. I think it's the big box honk that I don't like as the frequency response seems to lumpy IMHO.

Add "lumpy" to that list, Xrist04.

I use "spongey" and "sounds like marshmallows" a lot. Nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about, ever. When I figure out a better way to describe it, I'll say that.

Only had a short time to mess with it, but I see/hear what your sayin Joe.

Works better with some patches than others, works especially well with delay.

I'm looking forward to messin around with it tomorrow when I've got more time.

Thanks for sharing mate, your post is a perfect example of what this forum is all about, sharing discoveries and ideas .

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom