LPD Tone Clone Presets - Bryan Adams Summer of '69 AxeFxII

groovenut

Power User
I received a request to do this one so I spent a few hours getting it together. First lets talk the base tone. I know Keith Scott generally uses Strats and Marshall Plexis. I believe you could probably get this tone with a plexi, but to me it sounds like a Vox. Here's the interesting part, as with so many songs from this era, I believe this tone is created with the "immobilized" flanger effect. There is also timed delay, compressor and reverb happening. You definitely have to use single coils with this one to get the tone and gain level. This preset is just for the rhythm tone. I do suppose you could throw a drive pedal in front and bypass the flanger for the lead sound.

Enjoy and don't forget to donate! :D

Dig it! :D I had a few attempts at recreating this tone a few months back, and never got this close. Kudos Lawrence!

Not sure why this tone has been so elusive because on initial listen it doesn't sound that complex but I couldn't really dial it in so hats off to Lawrence who is one of the tone clone kings.

awesome. I always find myself smiling at the end of these 'cause I'm waiting to hear the "B" track and then I realize I did and heard no difference. :D hahahaha Thanks a bunch. Like others have said, it sounds like a simple tone, but I could never quite dial it in either.

I think the flanger and delay are what make it so hard to dial in. They are almost not perceivable at the outset of listening to the tone. They give a fatness and swirl that a non effected tone doesn't have. Not to mention the EQ curve the flanger brings to the party.

So, I used this at my gig Saturday night and it worked...sort of. Basically there was a whole other element to the tone missing and I realized how important that second guitar is. On the way home I had the good fortune of hearing Run To You and realized that it's the combination of the dirty and the clean that make up the Bryan Adams sound. I'm pretty sure the clean you hear in this video isolated at the 2:37 mark is the key to nailing it. The video is a little wacky so drag the slider to right before that because it tends to stop at least for me at around 2 minutes.

Bryan Adams - Run To You - YouTube

It would obviously make sense to have a second guitar but I don't most of the time and aside from the intro you could actually have the clean playing in parallel with the dirty to get even closer no?

Thoughts on where to start with this one so I can attempt to modify Lawrence's patch for live use from anyone?

So, I used this at my gig Saturday night and it worked...sort of. Basically there was a whole other element to the tone missing and I realized how important that second guitar is. On the way home I had the good fortune of hearing Run To You and realized that it's the combination of the dirty and the clean that make up the Bryan Adams sound. I'm pretty sure the clean you hear in this video isolated at the 2:37 mark is the key to nailing it. The video is a little wacky so drag the slider to right before that because it tends to stop at least for me at around 2 minutes.

Bryan Adams - Run To You - YouTube

It would obviously make sense to have a second guitar but I don't most of the time and aside from the intro you could actually have the clean playing in parallel with the dirty to get even closer no?

Thoughts on where to start with this one so I can attempt to modify Lawrence's patch for live use from anyone?
Marco,

You might try starting here (see pic)

I haven't tried this, it's just a mock up. However, I think this is a great starting place. You just need to balance the two levels. This is the simple solution. If it doesn't work we might have to try the more complex one (two amps)

Edit: You might want to put a chorus block after the new comp block too..

Thanks man, I'll see if I can carve out some time tomorrow to experiment. I too was thinking about the dual amp scenario, just wasn't sure where to start but I'll report back after taking a look at your tweaked patch. Thanks Lawrence!

What does "immobilized flanger" mean? If it means that the sweep is frozen, then how is this different from a short delay?

"immobilized flanger" is just my term for the Boss BF-2 with the Manual control at max and the other controls at min. This of course creates a comb filter because of the delayed signal being mixed with the original signal and the resulting phase cancellations. (Check here if anyone is more interested in finding out how Phaser/Flanger works The technology of Phase Shifters and Flangers)

However, the flanger in this preset doesn't have the sweep completely frozen. There is still a very slow sweep happening but it's minimally noticeable. If you are interested, I did a tone match of my Boss BF-2 as a comb filter. Preset here Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD BF-2 LeTekro - by Groovenut

Does anyone have the preset from this thread that they can post? Id like to try it. I'm playing this song Saturday night and never nailed the tone

Think this is v7 could be 8 .

Attachments

• Summer Of '69 .syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom