Lower gain and legatos

Vitor Mancini

Inspired
I'm starting this thread to ask for some help, I am a newbie on this kind of sound.

I'm having trouble creating a tone that is easy to play legatos and tapping and that still is kinda low gain and has that "tubular" sound.
The thing is, when I kind of find the tone I'm looking for it doesn't have enough gain, so it's REALLY dificult to play tapping and specially legatos.
A nice thing to do is to use a booster to push the tone a bit, so it helps on legatos, but still I can't find the right use for them in this kind of tone.

Here's an example. The whole thing is amazing, but please skip to 0:53 and 11:39. These are great examples, you can clearly hear that "tubular" sound and still it has enough gain for easy legatos and tapping. How do you guys do this? Which amp/booster is used?

I am particularly new in this type of sound, since I use Boogies on pretty much everything I play/record, so which amps do you guys use to sound like this? How do you dial them up?
I'm just entering this lower gain world and there's a lot to learn. Presets would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot! :D

I've used JPs for over 10 years now, and I'm not sure it will capture that exact tone. It will easily allow legato etc.

I may be wrong.

Half that tone is definitely the technique.

With that being said. A tube screamer block (there's a couple) coupled with the mark IV can get you in the ball park. I'd get close to the tone with the bass/mid/greb knobs then use the graphic eq in the Classic Mesa V.

Afterwards. Use an eq block to get the finishing touches. Now keep in mind that time sounds reedy/tubular in the mix but may sound honky and midrangey by itself.

Half that tone is definitely the technique.

With that being said. A tube screamer block (there's a couple) coupled with the mark IV can get you in the ball park. I'd get close to the tone with the bass/mid/greb knobs then use the graphic eq in the Classic Mesa V.

Afterwards. Use an eq block to get the finishing touches. Now keep in mind that time sounds reedy/tubular in the mix but may sound honky and midrangey by itself.

I'm looking for something different.
I've been using Boogies for more then 5 years, I love them! But I want something cleaner, like in the video I linked.
Any suggestions?

Try adding a compressor to your effects chain before the amp. You can set it to make the legato louder and leave the rest unchanged. The effect you get with the boost is that you make the amp compress, but it is not as effective as the compressor block, if you want to make it easier to play legato and tapping with a clean or crunch sound.

Jens

Try adding a compressor to your effects chain before the amp. You can set it to make the legato louder and leave the rest unchanged. The effect you get with the boost is that you make the amp compress, but it is not as effective as the compressor block, if you want to make it easier to play legato and tapping with a clean or crunch sound.

Jens

Very good advice. It will also allow greater articulation between each note, allowing the tone of the guitar to 'breathe' a little more. RoshRoslin also has a very good point, half of that tone is efficient technique, no rattles, no extraneous string ringing, and just the right amount of pressure to get each note to ring.

Playing at higher volume in the same room with the speaker will help the guitar and speaker interaction.

While I don't know how often he visits the forums, I know Plini has an account here. He posted his newest EP in the recordings section not to long ago, so you might be able to message him and ask him about the settings he used in that section, or perhaps he'll see this thread.

He sounds very Guthrie to me and GG uses the Cornford. Might be a starting point for you.

Either way, I'm so glad that I happened upon this thread, I think that Plini is amazing!

Jens

This with the Friedman BE model will get you close to that sound.

There are no words....

That's it. Everyone has fingers like Skeletor in a grow-bag...
mellow.gif

I'll never have those, so I here endeth my quest to bother trying to play in such a manner
thumbdown.gif

Friedman BE with lower gain will get you that kinda tone IMO. Thanks for the link to Plini BTW. Will check out his albums. ;)

Wow, I'm glad I looked in this thread. I've never heard of Phil prior to this. He's amazing, I really like his phrasing and tone.

I've been slowly reducing gain in all of my sounds over time in an attempt to let every chord really shine and to force myself to develop better technique. When I listen to the OP's video, I just assume my technique hasn't reached the level required to produce that sound yet.

Back
Top Bottom