Lower gain and legatos

I've been slowly reducing gain in all of my sounds over time in an attempt to let every chord really shine and to force myself to develop better technique. When I listen to the OP's video, I just assume my technique hasn't reached the level required to produce that sound yet.

This is a very good point that I think gets overlooked by a lot of us. I've been doing the same, lowering my gain. I mainly use a drive to tighten my rhythm rather than drown my leads with distortion.

I struggled with the same thing the op is struggling with when I was trying to get tom quayle's tone. It took me a awhile to realize that even though the tone is important, the technique plays a major role too.

I've been slowly reducing gain in all of my sounds over time in an attempt to let every chord really shine and to force myself to develop better technique. When I listen to the OP's video, I just assume my technique hasn't reached the level required to produce that sound yet.

Same here. The longer I play, the less gain I end up using. My favorite tone on my Mark IV is with the Gain on 5 and the Drive on 3. I'll then use the guitar volume to ride the line between clean and dirty. The guitars make a huge difference with legato playing, as well as the pickups and string height/gauge/tension. Compression helps, but ultimately that clear pop of each note comes from fret hand technique. Good classical guitarist do it acoustically with zero gain.

Last edited:
I'm looking for something different.
I've been using Boogies for more then 5 years, I love them! But I want something cleaner, like in the video I linked.
Any suggestions?

To my ears, that's what that amp sounds like. And the "boogie" sound isn't one thing. Though the 'recto' tone is generally associated with the "boogie" sound.

Another tip is once you get the gain up to where the notes are liquid and fluid with each other. Then roll the volume back on your guitar to 9 or 8. Holds worth, Scott Henderson, all the fusion guys do this.

To my ears, that's what that amp sounds like. And the "boogie" sound isn't one thing. Though the 'recto' tone is generally associated with the "boogie" sound.

Another tip is once you get the gain up to where the notes are liquid and fluid with each other. Then roll the volume back on your guitar to 9 or 8. Holds worth, Scott Henderson, all the fusion guys do this.

Been doing this for years! Except I will roll my volume back to as low as 6-7. Depends on guitar and pickups though.

Why have I not heard of this guy before? This stuff is awesome.

I'm looking for something different.
I've been using Boogies for more then 5 years, I love them! But I want something cleaner, like in the video I linked.
Any suggestions?

I would be surprised if he didn't record those tones with a Mesa. I can get really close to those tones with a IIC+. I used a very slight V shaped EQ and pulled the drive and gain way down while bumping the master up. Added a TS808 for boost and it was pretty close to what I'm hearing in the album.

I also find that single coil pickups, especially strat neck pickups, work very well for that kind of tone. Liquid and tubular yet snappy and percusive at the same time. Some might say bell like. Humbuckers can sometimes sound too tubby and round. Depends on the pickup and guitar though.

CRANK the mids. That's how Misha, Plini, and Tosin do it. As did Clapton, Page, SRV, etc. Crank those mids. Engage the FAT switch if you have to (contrary to popular belief, it really does stand for F*ing Amazing Tone).

I'm starting this thread to ask for some help, I am a newbie on this kind of sound.

I'm having trouble creating a tone that is easy to play legatos and tapping and that still is kinda low gain and has that "tubular" sound.
The thing is, when I kind of find the tone I'm looking for it doesn't have enough gain, so it's REALLY dificult to play tapping and specially legatos.
A nice thing to do is to use a booster to push the tone a bit, so it helps on legatos, but still I can't find the right use for them in this kind of tone.

Here's an example. The whole thing is amazing, but please skip to 0:53 and 11:39. These are great examples, you can clearly hear that "tubular" sound and still it has enough gain for easy legatos and tapping. How do you guys do this? Which amp/booster is used?

I am particularly new in this type of sound, since I use Boogies on pretty much everything I play/record, so which amps do you guys use to sound like this? How do you dial them up?
I'm just entering this lower gain world and there's a lot to learn. Presets would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot! :D

Ok - I really like this music! I'm gonna go buy it cuz the guy has great tone, melody, chords/structure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom