Lots of feedback, need help!

JimColossus

Hey guys, just got my Axe Fx II a little over a week ago, met up with a buddy who helped me dial in a good live tone for my band Colossus (www.facebook.com/colossusmusic) - we play metal/djent/hardcore/whatever you want to call it so it's pretty high gain.

Using the 6160 with the TS808 in front, using my 6505+ for power and running through a mesa oversized cab - and I'm getting enormous amounts of feedback whenever I'm looking in the general direction of my cab, not only with my main patch but with most every high gain patch that's on the Axe FX. I have the gain pulled down, gate pushed as hard as it will go, but I still get little squelches after some palm mutes and things like that.

Any advice?

Sounds like too much gain. If you're slamming a high-gain amp model with a drive block, you have absurd amounts of gain available, and it's possible to dial in enough gain to make the preset completely unusable. What settings do you have for the amp sim's Drive and Master, and for the drive block's Drive and Level?

Hmm, unfortunately, there's almost nothing you can do about it without altering your tone. The Axe is a great unit, but it can't bypass physics.
Just lower the gain a little. If you got serious issues with feedback on stage on moderate volume, chances are you got WAY TOO MUCH gain - and yes, even for metal there is a point where the gain is too much.
If you don't want to alter the tone, reduce stage volume. Your sound guy will love you for it.

feedback happens when the source "hears" itself. high gain/drive settings can make it happen faster/easier.

it's completely all about physics, so either turn down, get the guitar farther from the speakers or reduce the gain. you could try to cut specific EQ frequencies, but at certain volumes/distances, it won't be very effective.

Yes. I have the same experience with feedback. The Axe II seems to feedback a lot faster than other gear I used to own. Most of the times I don't play really high gain. And the feedback is not the nice kind that you can incorporate in your playing. You can use a heavy gate but I don't like the gated sound at medium to higher settings since it spoils your dynamics. When you play soft with a gate the sound of the soft attack parts gets unclear so you have to set the gate lower. At least this is my experience.

I'm not having the same kind of experience, Bodde, on the contrary.

The feedback I'm getting (on purpose) is musical and controllable.
And my gate settings are modest.

Undesired and uncontrollable feedback such as tweeter squeal may be caused by the amplification system and/or pickups.

I use normal guitars with good pickup and no high gain settings or extreme settings whatsoever. Plus a good amp (Matrix) and cabs (Thiele cabs). Also feedback happens on all guitars, so guitars and pickups are not the issue here. Seems there are quite some threads about feedback issues so many people have these problems.
I didn't have these problems with other gear before (mostly normal amp and pedals) so I would like to know what it is.

I use normal guitars with good pickup and no high gain settings or extreme settings whatsoever. Plus a good amp (Matrix) and cabs (Thiele cabs). Also feedback happens on all guitars, so guitars and pickups are not the issue here. Seems there are quite some threads about feedback issues so many people have these problems.
I didn't have these problems with other gear before (mostly normal amp and pedals) so I would like to know what it is.

Wanna post a preset? I know you did post some before, but IIRC those were based on older firmware.
I can test with a Matrix and EVM 12L cabinet.

Yes I can, but I still use 5.7 FW. Didn't have the chance to upgrade between gigs and rehearsals yet. Will do in summer holiday
I have posted a preset in one of the previous feedback threads but didn't get any response I think

Ah okay. Won't be able to test any of those presets then, since things have changed so much since 5.xx.

how much gain have you got dialled in on the 808 - for applications like this, it should be almost off

also - is the feedback you're getting from the strings (notes ring out uncontrollably, but stops when you damp the strings) or from your pickups (high pitched squealing which you hear when you damp the strings). if it's the second, then you may need better quality pickups...

I dialed back the 808 and that took care of most of the feedback. I have a Dimarzio DSonic 7 which I've never had feedback issues with before using my 6505+ with a TS9.

I'm still getting a lot of feedback just from the factory 6160 preset though, I feel like the room I'm in might be playing a part in it, because the day I dialed in my Axe Fx with a buddy I wasn't getting any feedback.

Check all the cables/connections in your loop, also, try different power outlets, etc.

It has to be something that's been introduced since you moved your gear into the new setting.

Someone earlier mentioned your guitar/pickups. If you can, plug a different guitar in and see if you still have the same issues.

Different power outlets cause feedback?

I just think it's still too much gain or volume and proximity of the guitar. It's much easier to add tons of gain without knowing it on a digital device vs analog amps and pedals. There really is "no limit" with all the boost and input trim etc options we have.

When I first started with my ultra, my high gain tones (mesa stuff, diezel) had the Drive boost on and drive level about 7-8. Sounded great of course at low volumes. I hit the stage and feedback city!!

As you increase the volume, either gain has to come down or distance from speakers has to increase - digital or analog gear.

Different power outlets cause feedback?

I just think it's still too much gain or volume and proximity of the guitar. It's much easier to add tons of gain without knowing it on a digital device vs analog amps and pedals. There really is "no limit" with all the boost and input trim etc options we have.

When I first started with my ultra, my high gain tones (mesa stuff, diezel) had the Drive boost on and drive level about 7-8. Sounded great of course at low volumes. I hit the stage and feedback city!!

As you increase the volume, either gain has to come down or distance from speakers has to increase - digital or analog gear.

Signal noise can lead to feedback, the outlet might be introducing an excessive amount. Especially if his pickups are already microphonic... or the tubes in his 6505 are microphonic, etc.

Bottom line, didn't happen before he moved into this new room and plugged into this new outlet. Lets dwindle down all of the variables.

1) Noise gate: Threshold = 65-ish; Ratio = 3.00

2) Hi-gain sounds don't require so much gain from hi-gain amps; 6160 needs no more than 6.00 drive and/or master vol

3) 808 should be between 2-5 drive

If this doesn't help your feedback, then your cable is really crappy or your voltage is bad

1) Noise gate: Threshold = 65-ish; Ratio = 3.00

beat me to it....
I'd agree with this too..
if that much gain is an absolute must, you got to tighten up the gate

but there comes a point where the gating becomes so strong that it can be destructive to the tone and feel
so it's a trade off..
use the least amount of gain you can get away with and then gate to that to regain control...

fortunately, the gate at the input of the grid is absolutely superb...
layout -> page right to in/gate
I use a lot of gain and manage to get away with
thresh: -75
ratio: 3.1
att: 10ms
rls: 20ms

btw - if you're dialling in hi-gain tones for live, start the job at home, finish the job in a rehearsal studio at gig levels
cos that's the only way you'll find out how little gain you can get away with and how hard you'll need to gate...

If this doesn't help your feedback, then your cable is really crappy or your voltage is bad

good advise everyone! can you explain how a bad cable can cause feedback? and which cable exactly do you mean?
And can you elaborate on the voltage thing?

Back
Top Bottom