Looper Record from Scene Change -- Possible?

APE

Inspired
I use Programs for Songs and Scenes for Sections.

Switching into and out of Looper mode while I sing and play and transition into the solo section is too hard. I use Scene 4 to trigger Looper PLY. This eliminates some tapdancing. But before I can PLY the loop, I need to REC it.

To REC a loop, I step on 8 to enter Looper mode, step on button 1 (1 corresponds to looper REC), then either step on 1 again to stop REC or step on 8 to switch out of Looper mode thereby stopping REC. I have to do all of this before being able to step on 4 where I can then trigger playback and solo over that Loop with an awesome lead sound.

I used a scene controller on Scene 4 to trigger Looper PLY. How can I switch to Scene 2 to start Looper REC? Then, what one-button command will then subsequently stop Looper REC?
upload_2017-8-31_0-32-14.png
upload_2017-8-31_0-32-14.png

I don't think that would be possible without the ability to assign a record modifier.

It could probably be done from a separate MIDI controller if you set looper record & scene select to the same CC.

If exiting looper mode stops recording, having the option to not stop it sounds like a good wish.

I think that the easiest way is to program your switch to send two midi CC notes at the same time from the pedalboard, one for the looper and another one for scene change. Example : MIDI CC:34 VALUE:1 and MIDI CC:28 VALUE:127 all sent in one tap. Even behringer FCB1010 can do it if my memory dont fail me.

The Looper MIDI CCs are:

• Record: 28
  • Play: 29
  • Once: 30
  • Dub: 31
  • Rev: 32
  • Bypass: 33.
  • Half: 120
  • Undo: 121

If your pedalboard cant do it try this:

SCENE SELECT in the I/O:CTRL menu determines which CC# is used. The default is CC#34. The value of the CC message determines which scene is selected.

Change this to SCENE SELET MIDI TO CC 28 .

In the pedalboard, program a switch to send MIDI CC 28 with VALUE: 127, this command should change the scene to 8 and star record the looper.

I´m not 100% shure of this. try it .

Ah, CC means MIDI Control Change. My pedalboard is AX8, so I am going to try this in AX8 Edit.

Aside: I see that once in Looper, if REC has been activated, exiting Looper, it must either be some form of record (REC, DUB) or some form of play (PLY, REV, HLF, ONC). This is because hitting REC a second time doesn't just toggle REC off; it toggles REC off ant PLY on. I hate it.

I remember hitting REC to stop REC, but now the second REC switches it to PLY (I don't want this). Now I'm not sure how I was ever able to record and then stop recording, wait, then solo over the recording. But I did it several times yesterday.

Last edited:
SCENE SELECT in the I/O:CTRL menu determines which CC# is used. The default is CC#34. The value of the CC message determines which scene is selected.

Change this to SCENE SELET MIDI TO CC 28 .
How exactly do I do that?

In the pedalboard, program a switch to send MIDI CC 28 with VALUE: 127, this command should change the scene to 8 and star record the looper.
I did:
1) Select SCENE 2
2) Click MIDI tab
3) Under SCENE 2, selected PC#28

upload_2017-8-31_9-47-29.png
[/QUOTE]
How do I get it to send MIDI value 127.

Those settings won't help with the looper. They're for sending program changes (PCs) from the MIDI out port, not any sort of internal CC commands.

What other issues? Maybe… I'm wondering if there is an adapter for program change to control or change. Some sort of tiny device. Is there?

You could add another small midi controller (Morning Star, Voes, ??) to send midi CC commands for continuous Looper controls regardless of scenes and such? More stuff to program and transport.....

Yeah. Voes Mc5-jr https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-midicontroller-voes-mc-series.125226/ up to 4 simultaneous MIDI commands.

Either that or have the loop prerecorded on my phone and then have the AX-8 send midi data via bluetooth (adaptor connected to the MIDI port) to then trigger that loop within BandHelper to then send that audio to the Cube.

Are there any plans from Fractal to upgrade the Looper? Looper mode has several drawbacks.

The first drawback is the requirement to switch to and from the special Looper mode. This means more complexity and more room for stepping error. I want go trigger Scene 4 after the loops is recorded. If I fail to exit Looper mode, and I then step on button 4, what happens is that instead of going to scene 4, the pedal enters Looper DUB mode. That means I have to stop playing my solo early unless I wanted to hear multiple overdubbed guitar solos. This particular problem is specific to the fact of having a special mode for Looper.

Looper REC cannot be triggered from a scene change using the current firmware.

No way to clear the Looper. When I switch to Scene 4, the Looper plays whatever it has. Sometimes I want to quickly clear the looper. For example, when I have a mistake on the loop, such as playing mistakes or an accidental DUB on the loop, I'd rather play the solo without hearing that mistake loop. In those cases, I'd like to clear the looper, such as as by going to scene 2 for a split second to record nothing into the loop or have a special "clear" looper function tied to a scene. I shouldn't be forced into ending the song because of a bad loop.

I just tested using an external, momentary foot-switch (cheap plastic sustain pedal) connected to Pedal input 4 on the AX8. Set the Looper Record midi CC to 'Pedal 4' in the I/O menu, (page right to the control tab). I could start an stop the Record function without being in the Looper mode. Make sure that 'Immediate Play' is Off, if your don't want the loop to start when you stop the recording process. Then when you select scene 4 for your solo, the loop will start.

Cool!

I'm gonna try and dig up my sustain pedal. It's super light.

If you used a pedal to control the AX8, that's proof that this is possible. And if the signal can be sent out from and back into the AX8, then it should be possible to do it internally, with nothing more than software changes. And that'd be lighter and more efficient. I would say that it would be simpler with software, but not necessarily -- whack, janky, and hard to use is astoundingly common.

You will need to go to the 'Pedal' menu and change Pedal 4 Type from 'Continuous' (default) to.......
  • 'Momentary' If you want the Looper to start recording when you press (and release) on the pedal, and stop recording when you press (and release) on the pedal again.
  • 'Latching' if you want the Looper to record only while the pedal is depressed, and stop when you take your foot off.

I have a Boss FS-5L latching foot-switch. It has an LED on it. It setup correctly, the LED is lit while you are recording, and Off when you are not. Nice for a visual reference.

You could get a Boss FS-6, Dual foot-switch and use it as Looper 'Record' and 'Play' or 'Play Once' switches??

You will need to go to the 'Pedal' menu and change Pedal 4 Type from 'Continuous' (default) to.......
  • 'Momentary' If you want the Looper to start recording when you press (and release) on the pedal, and stop recording when you press (and release) on the pedal again.
  • 'Latching' if you want the Looper to record only while the pedal is depressed, and stop when you take your foot off.

I have a Boss FS-5L latching foot-switch. It has an LED on it. It setup correctly, the LED is lit while you are recording, and Off when you are not. Nice for a visual reference.

This could really work for me so I'll give this a go

This could really work for me so I'll give this a go
Cool

Note.... the 'Momentary' option will only work with a 'Momentary' switch. And some switches are setup as 'normally open' or 'normally closed'. You will want a 'normally open' switch if you use a 'Momentary' type.

Cool

Note.... the 'Momentary' option will only work with a 'Momentary' switch. And some switches are setup as 'normally open' or 'normally closed'. You will want a 'normally open' switch if you use a 'Momentary' type.

I've got an FS6, so when i get some time I'll try your settings

Back
Top Bottom