Looks like Logic 9 is $199 now.

If the advanced features are dumbed down, I'll say screw that and go back to hardware! lol It WOULD be nice if they made it a little more user friendly tho......it's definitely not the most user friendly DAW I've used by a long shot :/

I know many people are concerned that Apple will do to Logic what it did to Final Cut Pro, which should have been branded as iMovie Pro.

The lower prices are great but I just hope that Logic-X doesn't get dumbed-down to the point that all the advanced features get dropped like what happened with FCP-X.

JOn, I gotta agree with NyGuitarist - the rumour mill is saying that it will become Logicband.

If this happens, (and because of the apparent discontinuation of the Mac Pro), I'm switching Pro Tools to the PC and I'll start using Cubase for composition. Apple have burned me for the last time.

I actually like GarageBand. I get a lot done on it, even if it's just to record some ideas quickly, and I then transfer to logic if the ideas are good. I would actually welcome logicband if they did that, as long as none of the advanced stuff is removed. They can hide away the advanced stuff like how cliff hid away the advanced parameters in the amp block - you don't need to go there most times but when you do it's right there.

But the world is changing, and I know that iPad is the future - only a matter of time before iPads become more advanced and we have logic running on them too.

I hope you're right Jon, I don't use Logic, used to use TDM Pro Tools now using Digital Performer, but Logic is a great program to use, lot's of my friends use it, hope Apple doesn't loose interest on it, but with Apple is comes down to $$.. :)

With everyone it comes down to $$. Experienced software engineers are expensive.

I was using Cubase, then Logic.. then I got Maschine and surprisingly can do quite a bit in there, then it dawned on me it's the same idea as Ableton.. that non linear type of workflow is quite appealing to me now so unless something really exciting comes with the new Logic I think Ableton will get my $$.

Dave

I use Logic, Pro Tools and Digital Performer.

I prefer the UI in DP but Logic is very CPU efficient and runs in 64 bit mode giving your VI's and AU plugs access to as much RAM as you have installed. I hope Motu releases DP-X soon!

I never upgraded past PT 7.4(?) and may unload it at some point.

Does anyone use Logic 9 with Lion? I've read a few horror stories regarding incompatibilities, and since I have Lion installed I can't decide whether to upgrade from Logic 8 (which I can no longer use) or just stick with GarageBand...

Does anyone use Logic 9 with Lion? I've read a few horror stories regarding incompatibilities, and since I have Lion installed I can't decide whether to upgrade from Logic 8 (which I can no longer use) or just stick with GarageBand...

I use Logic 9 in Snow Leopard. I have heard of incompatibility with a number of apps and plugins that have kept me away from upgrading to Lion.

BTW I really like Garageband.

I know quite a few people who used lion and went back to snow leopard who are logic users, and were much happier when they went back.

Quite a few producers I know like GarageBand too, even tho they use logic primarily

I'm not an advanced user, but works great for me on Lion so far.

Another great thing is this will push the prices down for everything else (including Ableton). :)

Reactions: jon
I'm not an advanced Logic user either, but I have been running Logic 9 with Lion for several months without problems. I have the NI Komplete 7 suite and it works well. I am really simple in my approach compared to most power users. I have a dry signal straight from the guitar that goes via splitter into the axe II and a Presonus Studiolive 16. The Presonus is connected to an i7 IMac via firewire so in Logic I have the dry guitar, stereo from the Axe II. I use a mixture of the Apple plugins as well as Komplete (Guitar Pro 4 for guitar stuff).

I'm still at a stage that I'm just recording ideas when they occur, so I could probably easily get by with Garageband, especially since the Axe II is the core of my tone. I know from experience though that GB will be too limited when I get into full composition (with keys, drums, etc.).

Garageband is actually not as limiting as you might think......I've made some pretty good pieces on it as ideas and transferred them. What it kinda sucks on is resources - it uses up a lot more resources than logic sometimes, and it's not as efficient when handling multiple VSTs as logic. If you want more VSTs, you cna get the jam pack - I bought 3 of the jam packs a while back, and they sound great!

Another great thing about garageband is the lack of plugins - I have some plugins that are notoriously prone to causing all sorts of errors, and when you do an OS update some of them will stop working till the manufacturer releases an update to make them work with your upgraded OS - this happened t me a while back, and I could not use logic for a month or two till the manufacturer released some updates for their VSTs. I've since learned my lesson - wait till all the main plugins you have are supported with the OS you are looking to upgrade to BEFORE you upgrade! LOL

If you're using the axe is the core of your sound and you only need a few VSTs to get your ideas/songs going, you can use garageband with no problems. I actually had some issues with the vg-99 that I could not get sorted out with logic that garageband somehow managed to bypass - go figure! :/

jon said:
Garageband is actually not as limiting as you might think......I've made some pretty good pieces on it as ideas and transferred them. What it kinda sucks on is resources - it uses up a lot more resources than logic sometimes, and it's not as efficient when handling multiple VSTs as logic. If you want more VSTs, you cna get the jam pack - I bought 3 of the jam packs a while back, and they sound great!

Another great thing about garageband is the lack of plugins - I have some plugins that are notoriously prone to causing all sorts of errors, and when you do an OS update some of them will stop working till the manufacturer releases an update to make them work with your upgraded OS - this happened t me a while back, and I could not use logic for a month or two till the manufacturer released some updates for their VSTs. I've since learned my lesson - wait till all the main plugins you have are supported with the OS you are looking to upgrade to BEFORE you upgrade! LOL

If you're using the axe is the core of your sound and you only need a few VSTs to get your ideas/songs going, you can use garageband with no problems. I actually had some issues with the vg-99 that I could not get sorted out with logic that garageband somehow managed to bypass - go figure! :/

For most guitar oriented stuff through the Axe, GB does work pretty well. But the enormous library of sounds I have within Komplete alone, not to mention all the sound libraries within Logic Studio make using Logic a no brainer when it comes around to full compositions in the genres I will compose and record in. I'm talking about more prog oriented music with atmospheric and textural sounds as well as a variety of instruments. You could spend years just figuring out the potential of one Komplete Synth/Instrument (Absynth or Massive, for example) not to mention that there are several within the package. GB is still a really good tool within its limitations, though.

For most guitar oriented stuff through the Axe, GB does work pretty well. But the enormous library of sounds I have within Komplete alone, not to mention all the sound libraries within Logic Studio make using Logic a no brainer when it comes around to full compositions in the genres I will compose and record in. I'm talking about more prog oriented music with atmospheric and textural sounds as well as a variety of instruments. You could spend years just figuring out the potential of one Komplete Synth/Instrument (Absynth or Massive, for example) not to mention that there are several within the package. GB is still a really good tool within its limitations, though.

You know as you mention it, my sampler guy got the komplete as well, and both of us are actually not that impressed with a lot
of the samples and sounds....and for synths we ended up using my virus ti. The library is HUUUUGE tho! :eek: I've heard most people rave about the komplete, and it IS good, but not as good as I'd hoped :(

I've been using Logic 9 with Lion for awhile and it's been rock solid so far. I use it with an Apogee DUET II and it's never crashed. -Mike

I've been using Logic 9 with Lion for awhile and it's been rock solid so far. I use it with an Apogee DUET II and it's never crashed. -Mike

Also depends on the Mac. I noticed the older ones are having issues with Lion. What are your specs?

Yes. And, in fact, it was my move to Lion that forced me off 8 and on to 9. Needless to say I'm a little pissed I paid the upgrade price and now, brand new, it's $50 less. Grr.

It's been running fine for me Lion. I am by no means a power user though. I'll run maybe 10 tracks of VSTi and a few tracks of audio. I own only one third party plugin (empress effects tremolo) and one third party VSTi (ezdrummer). Both work fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom