Looks like Logic 9 is $199 now.

$199 is a steal in itself.

You can now do things for a few hundred that not too long ago were crazy expensive. Good times.

This is a crazy good deal (of course I already paid $250 for a freaking upgrade from Logic 8 for which I paid $399 for a freaking upgrade from Logic 7 for which I paid $800, but whatever).

Be warned, to get full use of Logic you'll need to download the libraries. I don't know exactly how big they are, but it's 6 DVDs worth. If you're on dial-up it could take a while.

Be warned, to get full use of Logic you'll need to download the libraries. I don't know exactly how big they are, but it's 6 DVDs worth. If you're on dial-up it could take a while.

However there are lots of loops that most will probably never use anyway. IMHO the biggest downside is that soundtrack pro is no longer included (or available at all, for that matter).

Extra libs are 19+ GB. Looks like Apple servers are overwhelmed by initial demand, some fail to download.

Willowdale....did it ever occur to you that when you actually PAY for a product it is in part funding ongoing development, updates, enhancements, and support?......not to mention it being the right thing to do? My guess is if you are bragging about it in a forum, you are oblivious.

I have to wonder if the previously rumored update to Logic is around the corner. There was mention of this on an Apple or Logic forum a few months ago, can't remember which. Wouldn't surprise me if they start offering all their programs this way and make the physical media a higher fee structure.

why offer physical install media at all?
many companies stopped. i won't be upset if we stop making 1,000,000,000 discs a year for their 1 time use - aka install.
its a waste of $ and time on both ends to bother with physical media.

Reactions: jon
That's the signal - new version announcements coming soon.

Could be, or Apple gave up on Logic, and probably will only keep doing minor updates, and stop competing with Pro tools , Digital Performer etc. now that they make so much money with other stuff maybe Audio/Midi software isn't as important to them anymore..we'll see.

Why would they do that? Logic is a main component of almost every professional studio, and has been one of the tried tested and true DAWs out there. IMHO it completely smokes protools. Logic and garageband is also a large reason for many people switching to mac. Why on earth would they abandon it? Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. It sounds to me more like a new logic 10 will pop out soon....

Awesome!!!! I have logic Express 9 which cost me 150 euro so Logic 9 will cost me another 150 euro. Don't think I'll upgrade. Logic 10 will be out between now and summer.

I hope you're right Jon, I don't use Logic, used to use TDM Pro Tools now using Digital Performer, but Logic is a great program to use, lot's of my friends use it, hope Apple doesn't loose interest on it, but with Apple is comes down to $$.. :)

Reactions: jon
I know many people are concerned that Apple will do to Logic what it did to Final Cut Pro, which should have been branded as iMovie Pro.

The lower prices are great but I just hope that Logic-X doesn't get dumbed-down to the point that all the advanced features get dropped like what happened with FCP-X.

Back
Top Bottom