Long USB runs

diezel

I thought I'd post some information that may or may not have been discussed regarding long USB cable runs. Hopefully this post is a good bit of information for those folks not sure what to do or use.

From a brief search, there didn't seem to be definitive answers with what to run which is a reliable good solution for long cable runs.

I've been in the process of configuring a new studio setup and purchased new Focal Solo6 Be 6.5" Powered Studio Monitors. The FAS used to sit on the corner of my desk, but now the new near-field monitors have taken up the landscape. This posed a new problem. I needed a solution to sit the rack case on something so it's not on the floor...but more importantly I now ran into the issue which the computer was about 17ft away from the FAS. Suggestions of using quality cables will help long runs. ~16ft is the limit but using longer lengths can create connection issues. For me, 17ft, passive cables are not an option.

The only solution is to use an active cable configuration. Active USB cables can be found plentiful using the USB port as its power source This can create limitations based on the port configuration since they rely on the port to provide enough current to drive the cable circuit... especially when multiple devices use the same USB controller. Too high of a load on a USB port can create new problems. At worst, you can take out the USB port or board.

The best option is instead of relying on a self-powered USB cable, choose a USB external hub which doesn't rely on your computer's USB power circuit. The hub has its own power source. For example, in my ever-growing large box of cables, according to my wife, I could link them together and go around the earth, I had a couple 10ft cables. My other box of used computer parts...I had an old D-Link USB2, 7 port hub. Perfect! It's been sitting in a box for some time, since who uses USB2 thumb drives vs new inexpensive USB3 thumb drives...or USB2 external hard drives. Needless to say, my hoarding of old parts, not letting them go, paid off. I now have a good strong USB signal 20ft away with zero issues.

Hopefully, this post helps some that may have questions using longer cables or didn't want to "try" something that may not work out as they expected.

Attached are a few images of the USB hub. It's mounted on the side of my desk next to my mixer. New 20 new audio panels are being installed shortly...so it's a bit bare right now. Also, you can view my new solution to my 6 space rack stand. It's is mounted on an adjustable chair that has been modified and suited with a wooden base. The wooden base has drilled holes which coincide with the feet of the rack. This provides a solution where the rack locks in place (think of Lego's interlocking) and physically cannot come off unless it's lifted from base. It also provides a positive easy mounting solution that auto centers the rack on the wooden base. Bonus, the stand is fully adjustable.

Attachments

• Hub.jpeg
    Hub.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Initial Setup.jpeg
    Initial Setup.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 37
Good information, @diezel .

You're right: 15 feet is the limit. It doesn't matter how good your cables are. Beyond 15 feet, you run the risk of timing issues that can ruin the USB link.

For runs longer than 15 feet, consider a USB repeater. It's powered by the USB host itself, and its sole purpose is to extend the range of USB. I use a repeater on a USB run that totals 30 feet long to connect to by AX8. It's been working flawlessly for years.

1580199000864.png

The only solution is to use an active cable configuration.

This isn’t entirely true. For some applications where distances are very long, you have an alternative to use networks to transmit and receive the USB data. I use a networked USB device server and it works fine. I have a USB hub connected to it as well, so I’m not limited to just two devices at the other end of the network on the device server. The device server software supports it too, even though there’s very little written about in the manual or in their support videos. To answer the question about cost, yes, it’s more expensive, but it is an alternative. You can have the Axe FX in another building if you wanted to as long as you’ve built a stable network (QOS and VLAN setup are probably the most crucial). I run Dante on that same network and it all coexists just fine. I have three switches in between the device server and the main computer that the software runs on. Never had a problem with it.

https://www.silextechnology.com/connectivity-solutions/device-connectivity/ds-510

This isn’t entirely true. For some applications where distances are very long, you have an alternative to use networks to transmit and receive the USB data. I use a networked USB device server and it works fine. ...

I could have worded it differently, though, I wasn't adding to the scope of cat5/6 configuration as that may be above the budget of most as you commented. I should have mentioned that solution nevertheless. It's a good discussion that could be offered so thanks for the suggestion.

This post, if moved to a better location would be a good repository for guys who needs solutions. I agree, there is not enough documentation for this particular topic. I'm familiar lan configuration, since you've brought the topic up, I'm sure others who would like your solution would benefit a brief setup suggestion with suggested components.

The repeaters are a solution as I commented, but it can be handicapped to the users main hub. Some may be using their hubs for other external drives or other components which could impact overall loads on that hub.

I use two hubs and optical cable, you can have a 98'/ 30m run if needed.
How is latency with this particular setup? What specific parts did you use? My intent was hopefully to provide a post outlining peoples success stories and solutions.

I typically don't use the usb to record through. I mainly use this setup for editing. The recent Firmware updates have substantially reduced the latency between the Axe III and Axe-Edit.

Attachments

• IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6548.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom