Logic Pro: Recording Delay Setting

Should the AXE III USB buffer size internally, match the buffer size setting I'm running in LOGIC, or is there some other strategy where they are mismatched, to reduce latency, and if so, please elaborate?

No, there is no need to match those buffer sizes. The adjustment Matt is referring to isn't about reducing latency. It's about compensating for latency when recording. The AxeFX does not provide the DAW with the necessary information to perform this compensation automatically, so the user must manually specify a compensation amount.

No, there is no need to match those buffer sizes. The adjustment Matt is referring to isn't about reducing latency. It's about compensating for latency when recording. The AxeFX does not provide the DAW with the necessary information to perform this compensation automatically, so the user must manually specify a compensation amount.

Yeah. I was running my Logic buffer at 256 and my Axe III USB buffer also at 256, which meant I had to set my sample offset to -1325 or something huge.

I reduced my Axe III USB buffer to 8 and the sample offset was only -64 at that point, but I don't know what impact those settings (mainly that I've reduced the Axe III USB buffer from 256 to 8) will have on the recording latency, because I haven't tried to track anything yet - I've simply measured the lateness, so I could set the offset in Logic.

Hopefully, Matt will find out some stuff that will make this more automatic for users. I hope.

@Admin M@ Were you able to find a definitive solution for this when dealing with Apple? Trying to find the dumbest (or most thorough, either way haha) explanation for doing it so I can sort it out and stop focusing on whether or not the take will line up as I record it. I'm getting in my head too much about it and it's becoming a bit of a drag while trying to create.

This isn't really a hassle to fix after the fact, but the second guessing is adding hours of over analyzing to writing sessions

Honestly I’m about to throw in the towel with Logic but need to finish this record first before changing DAWs. Not only from the recording delay, but repeated crashing and also “missing files” which are no longer found in the self contained project file which I need to then retrack 🤦🏻‍♂️

i just did a loopback through my apollo interface with the buffer size set to 128 and got a value of 33 samples. i just set "nudge" to "sample" and manually knocked the second recording along and counted the samples as i went. i've been meaning to do this for ages, so thank you for reminding me!

i also took the opportunity to sort out my sync settings in all my templates, so that logic controls the tempo of the axe fx. turn off axe fx in the midi in panel and turn on clock for the axe in the sync out settings. syncs up solid within 2 beats. tidy.

i just did a loopback through my apollo interface with the buffer size set to 128 and got a value of 33 samples. i just set "nudge" to "sample" and manually knocked the second recording along and counted the samples as i went. i've been meaning to do this for ages, so thank you for reminding me!

i also took the opportunity to sort out my sync settings in all my templates, so that logic controls the tempo of the axe fx. turn off axe fx in the midi in panel and turn on clock for the axe in the sync out settings. syncs up solid within 2 beats. tidy.
So is it correct to say this is an issue with any interface and not just the Axe Fx?

@Admin M@ A few of us have been talking more about this in other posts with the FM3 as well. I saw your reply to my open ticket with you support but I haven't seen any replies to that since Sunday. Would be good to get some sort of insight on a fix that isn't necessarily DAW related. The Axe 3 does have a USB buffer setting that we can adjust but the FM3 doesn't have that in the current firmware and I don't even know if that addresses it. The recording delay in Logic does deal with some of the issues, but other DAWs don't have this feature so we need a new way to compensate without having to stick to one DAW. Pro Tools doesn't have options to deal with this and I'm sure there are others that use Pro Tools, especially non mac folks. Do you have any more thoughts on this? Appreciate the insight.

Yes.

Really? I think most do. You mentioned ProTools. I don't know the program, but I found this:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/How-To-Determine-Your-Hardware-Insert-Delay
I looked at that article earlier today and I was hopeful but I may have understood how to do it and was thinking I always had to have an insert on each track....in every session. Seems I only have to do that just to figure out the insert delay. I will follow this guide and report back. Thanks for the reply.

Yes.

Really? I think most do. You mentioned ProTools. I don't know the program, but I found this:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/How-To-Determine-Your-Hardware-Insert-Delay
I'm giving up...I tried everything in Pro Tools. Just not doing it. While I believe that this problem exists in interfaces, I have never had an issue before in any of the interfaces I have used. I don't want to have to use the HX for mobile recordign but The FM3 is just unusable in Pro Tools. I love the FM3 but for this issue, I'm frustrated at the moment. Been using Pro tools (just as a home musician) for 20 years and just haven't ran across this issue. Monitoring latency, yes, of course but never had recorded tracks delayed in printing.

To add to this (Yes, I said I was giving up lol), I did one last final step and connected my cheap little Focusrite scarlett solo and plugged the FM3 into it. Used the solo as the interface in Pro Tools. Zero issues. What the heck is going on in the FM3 that could be causing this headache?

I've asked an engineer to look at this. I'll answer you here or in your support ticket.
Cool Matt thank you. I am (really this time) walking away from it for now and hoping to hear from you all. It's just "persistent me" always troubleshooting something and I get a little crazy trying to fix it. It's what's kept me popular in IT since the 90's. Sometimes it's a good attribute but for you all right now....maybe not :)

I've never experienced the issues you guys are describing and I've been using Logic for nearly 20 years now. Are you using "Software Monitoring" in Logic? This will definitely introduce additional latency. You really need to use a mixer or an audio interface with "direct monitoring" or "near zero latency monitoring" to monitor your live signal going into the box.

All that being said, I don't typically use the Axe-Fx as an USB audio interface. But, coincidentally, I did use it just a couple days ago to record some demo tracks (I was too lazy to mic up my cabinets). No issues with a recording delay. I was using the Axe-FX as an USB input device and my normal audio interface for playback of drums and vocals while recording. My guitar was monitored "live in the room" via headphone bleed to avoid using the aforementioned software monitoring in Logic.

I've never experienced the issues you guys are describing and I've been using Logic for nearly 20 years now. Are you using "Software Monitoring" in Logic? This will definitely introduce additional latency. You really need to use a mixer or an audio interface with "direct monitoring" or "near zero latency monitoring" to monitor your live signal going into the box.

All that being said, I don't typically use the Axe-Fx as an USB audio interface. But, coincidentally, I did use it just a couple days ago to record a couple demo tracks (I was too lazy to mic up my cabinets). No issues with a recording delay. I was using the Axe-FX as an USB input device and my normal audio interface for playback of drums and vocals while recording. My guitar was monitored "live in the room" via headphone bleed to avoid using the aforementioned software monitoring in Logic.
Nope, this is not latency (monitoring). All good there. This has to do with AFTER the track has been recorded. It's actually printing delayed on the timeline/out of sync. Logic does have "recording delay" setting in samples which will help this issue but Pro Tools is a bit more wonky and not the same. Too much to get into and for this I'm considering dropping PT after 20+ years and finding something else (Either stick to Logic or look into Cubase which I hear does this automatically). Anyway, the recording delay is not the same as buffer, etc.

Nope, this is not latency (monitoring). All good there. This has to do with AFTER the track has been recorded. It's actually printing delayed on the timeline/out of sync. Logic does have "recording delay" setting in samples which will help this issue but Pro Tools is a bit more wonky and not the same. Too much to get into and for this I'm considering dropping PT after 20+ years and finding something else (Either stick to Logic or look into Cubase which I hear does this automatically). Anyway, the recording delay is not the same as buffer, etc.

Just fyi, Cubase works the same as all other DAWs...you enter the delay amount manually. (I use all the major DAWs every day :)).

Sorry, I don't have any answer for you why that i/o offset is not working in PT, but from the 2600 samples you reported in your other thread, it sounds like you have excessive latency in your FM3 for some reason. That will exacerbate the problem if you can't get the i/o offset to work in PT, so it's worth investigating that to learn why it's so high.

Re: Cubase, sorry I saw a forum last night and they were all griping at how pro tools was stuck back in the dark ages and cubase did this automatically. Guess I misunderstood what they were referring to. As I continue to research I’m seeing that offsets are the common workflow for outboard gear, not so much your main recording interface, but the gear connected to that interface (other analog gear). I’ve just been lucky or my ear hasn’t picked it up because it wasn’t this excessive. For pro tools the hardware inserts aren’t working (I’m thinking) because I don’t have anything connected to the FM3 aside from my monitors. You can’t set an offset for outputs 1 and 2 since those are the monitors and outputs 3 and 4 on the FM3 are for reamping I believe. On a standard interface with multiple outputs, you have to physically connect one of the other outputs to your extra gear beyond your interface, measure your offset, and then configure the offset for that connected output. If you are only using 1 interface, like an FM3 and nothing connected, H/W insert delays cannot be configured, only the track offset manual entry (*-2600). Is my thinking correct? Thanks for your confirmation on excessive latency, though. Hoping they can resolve that.

Back
Top Bottom