Lo Pro Edge trem block torn apart by itself. Need block replacement (or new guitar)

Piing

Axe-Master
I haven't touched my RG550LTD for one week while it has been hanging at the wall. This morning I heard a loud crack and I've found that the trem block was separated. If I put it back it splits-up again at the minimum tension because the block threads are worn out.

The guitar is old, but this is the third tremolo replacement (counting the original). I am not going to buy a whole lo-pro-edge again.

Is the fu-tune a recommended replacement for the block?

https://www.fu-tone.com/product/brass-sustain-block-for-ibanez-edge/

I shall also start thinking about replacing this old and worn-out but all-time-favorite guitar. That is not going to be easy, because the most expensive ones, from Suhr to J-Custom or JS2450, have all failed for different reasons. Dead notes, no mojo, not as good resonance and sustain as this RG550LTD...

20220501_130818.jpg

At the other side of this wall there is an Outdoor Condenser Unit that vibrates quite loud all night when I switch on the Air Conditioning at the bedroom. Could these vibrations have contributed to worn out the old bridge?

Attachments

• 20220501_133251.jpg
    20220501_133251.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I haven't touched my RG550LTD for one week while it has been hanging at the wall. This morning I heard a loud crack and I've found that the trem block was separated. If I put it back it splits-up again at the minimum tension because the block threads are worn out.

Is the the fu-tune a recommended replacement?

I shall also start thinking about replacing this old and worn-out but all-time-favorite guitar. That is not going to be easy, because the most expensive ones, from Suhr to J-Custom or JS2450, have all failed for different reasons. Dead notes, no mojo, not as good resonance as this RG550LTD...

View attachment 101090

At the other side of this wall there is am Outdoor Condenser Unit that vibrates quite loud all night when I switch on the Air Conditioning at the bedroom. Could these vibrations have contributed to worn out the old bridge?
Maybe a replacement block can be found with fresh, new threads? I had a Callaham upgraded steel block on my Strat before I got the Super Vee trem. Maybe someone makes an improved one with stronger metal?

The guitar is old, but this is the third tremolo replacement. I am not going to buy a whole lo-pro-edge again.

I shall also start thinking about replacing this old and worn-out but all-time-favorite guitar. That is not going to be easy, because the most expensive ones, from Suhr to J-Custom or JS2450, have all failed for different reasons. Dead notes, no mojo, not as good resonance and sustain as this RG550LTD...

View attachment 101090

At the other side of this wall there is an Outdoor Condenser Unit that vibrates quite loud all night when I switch on the Air Conditioning at the bedroom. Could these vibrations have contributed to worn out the old bridge?
Don't sell your all time favorite guitar, regardless of your beefs with it, or your imaginings of greener pastures! I've seen you repeatedly sing the praises of that 550, seems like it's something special, at least for you. Don't let that go, that magic is hard to find, as you've proved.

Don't sell your all time favorite guitar, regardless of your beefs with it, or your imaginings of greener pastures! I've seen you repeatedly sing the praises of that 550, seems like it's something special, at least for you. Don't let that go, that magic is hard to find, as you've proved.

Surely not! That is a priceless item. And it is also my GK-3 guitar. I will replace the block.

It is not easy to decide a guitar replacement. I have this options that I already mentioned at this thread

Used S540FM for $600
Used J-Custom RG8470F for $1,400
Used (like-new) Kiko100 for $2,500
New Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic Black Limba for $1,160

I was gravitating towards the S540FM even though it is 22 frets, but now my only 24 frets guitar is non-functional. Tomorrow I will go to have a look to the used J-Custom.

Last edited:
Hi Piing
Exactly which threads are causing the issue?
Thanks
Pauly

The guitar is old, but this is the third tremolo replacement (counting the original). I am not going to buy a whole lo-pro-edge again.

View attachment 101090

Had a similar thing happen on my rg1570. Managed to find a replacement (same cheap alloy) off one of the Ibanez forums.
In hindsight I wish I had gone for a brass or steel replacement because now I always wonder when it's going to fail again.

Had a similar thing happen on my rg1570. Managed to find a replacement (same cheap alloy) off one of the Ibanez forums.
In hindsight I wish I had gone for a brass or steel replacement because now I always wonder when it's going to fail again.
It's not normal an issue and it only ever rips it out if it works loose without you noticing. This put a huge stress on the threads and it will just start wearing the thread and you get stress cracks then it will go.

I am still wondering if the Outdoor Condenser Unit could have contributed. That wall has serious low-frequency vibrations, and the guitar is hanging right at the same point of the outdoor unit. It popped out by itself while the guitar was untouched for a week. From now on I will not let the guitars hanging there when I switch on that AirCon during the night.

I've already ordered the fu-tone brass block

Last edited:
Hey there @Piing
The brass block holds the sustain longer as I recall.
The EBMM JP Majesty 7 string has a brass block and its also much lighter than the steel one. My Universe 7 string had a steel block and IMHO the Majesty sustain was much better.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
I am still wondering if the Outdoor Condenser Unit could have contributed. That wall has serious low-frequency vibrations, and the guitar is hanging right at the same point of the outdoor unit. It popped out by itself while the guitar was untouched for a week. From now on I will not let the guitars hanging there when I switch on that AirCon during the night.

I dont think it would be enough to do that. The guitar is dealing with much more direct vibration every time you play it. It looks like the threads just ripped out, likely from not being tight enough from some point or other and using the trem would have been slowly prying the threads out. It probably built up over years and just finally let go. That's why I service my trems every couple of years or less.

Should be an easy enough replacement though. A bit of loctite might be worthwhile this time.

Looks to me almost like they were over tightened, stripping out the threads. I don't think your AC had anything to do with it, nor do I think it worked loose. Hearing that crack was tension releasing when the threads gave way. It was too tight and stretched the screws just a bit much.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest reaching out to ibanezrules.com.

They have a huge wealth of Ibanez knowledge and many parts.

I've bought (original) replacement blocks and other parts from eBay in the past but that can take some time for what you want to become available.

I would change the three fixing screws and the tremolo block, if your saddle and the knives are still good, I would only change that! Fu-tone make very good tremolo blocks, I used one for my Jem 7v in brass, the sound was slightly more bell-like.

Hi Piing,

Look up 'helicoil thread inserts' - You can make the threads better than new quite easily.

Thanks Pauly
Unless you already have the installation kit you are better off just ordering a brass block instead of messing with a helicoil. Block is only $40. Install with a little blue loctite and good to go. Beats tapping for and installing a helicoil.

Back
Top Bottom