Line 6 Introduces Pod HD500X

looks like more of the lame ;)
I had the hd500 for a while.
It wasn't bad. I actually have been happier so far with the zoom G3 and some pedals.
...but I am a pretty odd duck too though...

It looks like it's the same modeling tech with more routing flexibility and better footswitches.

Give me a break, what is this their fourth or fifth attempt at an Axe-Fx wanna-be? It is what it is, and anybody that has an Axe-Fx 'OF ANY GENERATION' is still light years ahead. It may work for the budget challenged folks, but anyone that wants THE sound will forego the urge to 'settle' for less than the real thing. Just my opinion. :roll

You have to think they must still be selling a ton of them.....

They are at an affordable price point
It is a floor unit....and they still have rack versions. But the floor unit is more popular.
Software
Tones aren't the worst but not the best.

Interesting

I'm looking for an Axe FX backup solution. I can't afford a second unit. I can afford an HD500 or similar unit. I've been waiting for the new product from FAS hoping my Axe will not fail me at a critical time. But at some point, I'll need something. Is it anywhere near as good as the Axe FX? Most certainly not. Will it allow me to do a few gigs while waiting for a repair? Sure!
So I'd love to know if anyone has one and actually listened to it. Otherwise we can all go Harmony Central on the thing and bash away! Right? :eagerness:

You have to think they must still be selling a ton of them.....

They are at an affordable price point
It is a floor unit....and they still have rack versions. But the floor unit is more popular.
Software
Tones aren't the worst but not the best.

Interesting

Agreed. I still have mine and use it as a controller at our band's rehearsal location. It's okay for the money.

Frankly, I hope they remain successful with the product. I'm a mediocre guitar player who can't sing. If everyone played through and Axe, I'd NEVER find a band!!!

Apparently it has a better processor than before as well as the floor buttons. That should help with DSP limit compared to the last one.

No amp control like the GT100, no improved support for 4CM which may have been useful. Of course they have L6 link but then you also need a DT series amp from them to take advantage of that.

The L6 link worked pretty well. Before I got an Axe, I used a DT25 with the HD500 and the two worked well together. I also used a Variax JTV on some songs. While I refuse to use the words "dream rig", it was pretty cool being able to switch amp models, effects, and guitar models with a single switch.

I have the POD HD500 (not the new X). I use it as a backup for my band. It's not a terrible unit. Some people can't afford the Axe-Fx and this gives you a lot of options. I go direct to FOH. There are two main issues for me:

1) As I tweak sounds/make new ones on the Axe, I have to keep up with figuring out how to re-create them on the Line 6 and sometimes it's just really difficult to do (like crystals an octave down with delay - not really sure how to do this on the Pod)...
2) I'm still terrified of my Axe breaking down at a show. How do you guys that don't have a backup deal with that?! I wouldn't even want to use the Pod as a backup since the quality of sound is just not the Axe-Fx. So, even though it is intended as a backup, I don't want to have to use it!

Back
Top Bottom