Line 6 Introduces Pod HD500X

They are saying it is 20% more processor, so you can get 1 maybe 2 more blocks in a preset....

I have gotten into the habit of using my HD500 (not the new X) for rehearsals with basic marshall and fender presets and delays. Sometimes I'm frustrated that it sounds as good as it does on a rehearsal recording!

Then, I go home and practice the songs, and program my Axe FX, and it is sooooooooooooo much better, I don't care anymore about the rehearsal CD sounding respectible.

I watched a video of Dave Navarro who was on tour with Riahnna and he said "the modelers sound pretty good until you immediately play the real amp right afterwards". He was using one of his signature tube amps on tour and a Roland GT-8 for effects (WTF???) but there's some truth in that. My HD500 sounds reasonable, UNTIL I play through my Axe again.

There was someone who said earlier in this thread that Firm 11 sounds good even though he has never played through a real high end tube amp. My tube amp usage came in the 80's when we compressed and chorused everything so extreme, it sounded transitiorized anyway - think Mr. Mister. So, my frame of reference for evaluating the Axe II, is not really whether it faithfully reproduces the tone and feel of a vintage amp, but whether it feels and sounds better than the other 10 modelers I've used (and at the time, thought sounded really good).

I've only played the HD500. I think it's a fantastic unit for the price, but I remembered thinking how sterile it sounded compared to my AxeFX (and this is when I owned an Ultra). If I was gigging at places of ill-repute, I'd totally consider getting an HD500x as a beater unit and leaving my AxeFX 2 and MFC at home.

I have gotten into the habit of using my HD500 (not the new X) for rehearsals with basic marshall and fender presets and delays. Sometimes I'm frustrated that it sounds as good as it does on a rehearsal recording!

Then, I go home and practice the songs, and program my Axe FX, and it is sooooooooooooo much better, I don't care anymore about the rehearsal CD sounding respectible.

I watched a video of Dave Navarro who was on tour with Riahnna and he said "the modelers sound pretty good until you immediately play the real amp right afterwards".

Odd, I was sure Nuno was Rihanna's guitar player and Navarro was doing ink master, penthouse, and janes reunions.........

Back
Top Bottom