Line 6 Feelin' The Heat...

Rane

Experienced
I found this article on Line6.com. Thought it was kinda' interesting:

Line 6 News - Fear Factory’s Dino Cazares Interview

It's an interview with a guitarist from Fear Factory (a band I'd never heard of) who uses the POD HD. They asked him about "other high-end processing systems," and he proceeded to bash the Axe Fx. lol

I'm assuming that he was referring to the original Axe Fx, as he doesn't mention the II.

I thought it was interesting that they actually mentioned the Axe Fx in their news feed. Who knows, maybe they'll get some of their readers to go and check out the Axe II for themselves. ;)

FWIW, I'm not a total Line 6 hater. They've definitely got some cool stuff, and I would totally point a younger guitarist in their direction. That said, they're certainly not Axe II competition, and they know it even if they won't admit it.

Wow that's really surprising that line 6 would allow that kinda quote... I like line 6 and I think it has its customer base, but to bash another product because it's "harder to use and more expensive" seems childish.

Maybe for his sound he doesn't need an axe and the pod does fine. But that doesn't mean the axe is bad.

I tried the pod hd when it came out and compared to my ultra... Same line 6 sound, nothing hd about it, at least to me (and every one of my employees!).

It`s logical Dino use Line 6 he don`t need many tones he need only one good tone or two, boost and maybe some effects delays reverbs don´t need anymore i had a chance to ask the same to him and he said me the same ...i have all i need in the POD HD... no more and he going direct to FoH from POD and sound great to me sound Fear Factory \m/

Is this the company that started an all out war on fractal that cliff was talking about? ;)

At the end of the day they really started the modeling thing, and what you get for the money it's not bad. they are at two really different price points too.

I have been looking at this type of tech for a while.
And my view: If you like your Line 6 HD series, you need to thank Fractal Audio Systems.

Yes that is correct! In 1998 Line 6 came out with the POD great little device that put modeling in the right direction, However IMO they were really just riding the wave of the POD when they came out with the XT series to be followed X3 series no real innovations going on there. Yeah different effects and being able to setup two amps and so on but the modeling itself, “nothing”. What is even funnier again IMO I believe they went backwards somehow, strip away the effects the original POD blew away the XT/X3 series, again my view and the view of others I know.
With the HD they pretty much designed it from the ground up this time, (as for their new modeling approach) and it worked! They came up with a new unit at a certain price point that sounds pretty dam good, for that price point. And Line 6 most likely did this because they had seen what Fractal was up to and the steam they were gaining in the modeling community.
So if it was not for Fractal or even another company, IMO they probably just would have put out another unit with more bells and buzzers as opposed to re-vamping their modeling tech.
Just my 2 cents.
John

As a Metapher: A Nikon D3200 is a well build Camera. Make wonderful photos, easy to handle, much user presets for portrait, sport, landscape, etc ... and lighter/smaller than the x-time more expensive flagship - The Nikon D4: Heavy, no User Programs and you`ll get only better photos out of it, if you`re experienced User who knows, what to do! ...

Is this the company that started an all out war on fractal that cliff was talking about? ;)

At the end of the day they really started the modeling thing, and what you get for the money it's not bad. they are at two really different price points too.

No, it's another company.

Regardless, everyone is taking shots at us lately. That's what happens when you're at the top. Everyone wants to knock you off.

What bothers me is that everyone else is trying to knock us off using slimy marketing tactics rather than building a better product.

FWIW, IMO the next best modeler out there is the 11R. It's well made (excellent board layout, as good as the AxeII), has a lot of processing power and sounds good. The other products are all underpowered and each have their own digital artifact problems. The 11R is the only other product I've measured that has the fundamental signal processing right. As with most modelers, it suffers from mediocre cabinet IRs. If you could upload your own IRs to it, it would be a much better product.

I remember reading Dino's gear story back when it happened and that's when I picked up my first Line 6 product. At the time, he said it was "The fastest amp" he ever played. Apparently, that guy can hear the delay between picking the string and the sound coming out of the speaker and a tube amp wasn't fast enough. Patch changing must've driven him insane on the flextone and POD's, not that he would ever need to in the middle of a song.

That being said, I do like his tone and I did love and use Line 6 for many years before getting an Ultra. He has to be referencing the Ultra and not the II with time it takes to tweak. I'm really surprised Line 6 put that quote in big letters.

What bothers me is that everyone else is trying to knock us off using slimy marketing tactics rather than building a better product.

It's the first line and cheapest way to impact a potential customer base. It is a bullshit tactic and everyone does it, including their current customers.

I can kind of relate to this quote a bit BEFORE 7.00...

"...But the Axe-Fx takes you longer to dial in. It took me two weeks to dial in something—and it took me 10 minutes to dial in something on the POD."

I'm not saying the Pod EVER sounded better than any Axe-fx (Lord knows the Pod HD 500 I used in the practice room sounded like ass) but I would agree that it was somewhat difficult to get "tone" (at least for me) before 7.00.

7.00 is a different story... and any comment made towards the Axe-fx has to be revised with EVERY new firmware version. It's virtually a whole new product when Cliff releases a new firmware.

No, it's another company.

Regardless, everyone is taking shots at us lately. That's what happens when you're at the top. Everyone wants to knock you off.

FWIW, IMO the next best modeler out there is the 11R. It's well made (excellent board layout, as good as the AxeII), has a lot of processing power and sounds good. The other products are all underpowered and each have their own digital artifact problems. The 11R is the only other product I've measured that has the fundamental signal processing right. As with most modelers, it suffers from mediocre cabinet IRs. If you could upload your own IRs to it, it would be a much better product.

Interesting that Cliff had this opinion. I actually bought the 11R first, when I was still using Boogies live. It does sound pretty darned good, and is the unit that really convinced me to take digital seriously. In that sense, I guess it was units like the POD (yes, I do own one) that were responsible for my earlier opinion that digital was like little practice amps... you know, convenience, not to be confused with something you'd actually use live. The Eleven is cool, so I had to try the Axe Ultra... blown away. Since moved to the II. No plans to use anything else!

I like the honesty of saying something is well made when it is, and loathe the companies that use anything but facts and quality to claim superiority. Dino has a right to his opinion and tastes, but that doesn't do a lot to sway my opinion. If it works for him, cool. It works for me for what it is, but it doesn't compete with the Eleven, and certainly not with the Axe II.

No higher praise than this for the 11R. This makes me want to give it another try as a backup, though the device isn't particularly convenient as a backup.

We can only imagine what Fractal could do with that hardware...

Back
Top Bottom