LF Jr. Wiping out / Misnaming Presets

OK, I'm not sure if the problem is with the LF Jr. or the Axe or both, but recently while uploading presets to the LF I go back to the Axe and keep finding presets either empty - completely gone - or mis-named. When misnamed the name will be off by 1 or 2 presets. For instance one preset will be preset B but is named preset A, preset C will be named preset B, etc. Or preset E will be named preset C.

Obviously, having my patches wiped out is much more disturbing. I have my banks backed up but this is making it very difficult to deal with. It screws up my Axe-FX editing as well because those are misnamed. I've lost a couple of patches all together at this point even though I've been backing up, I've stored a couple banks with vanished presets before noticing it.

What is the solution to this? Any suggestions?

What all was plugged into what? Just Axe to LF? Running the sync process in the LF? Need more info!

quonsar said:
What all was plugged into what? Just Axe to LF? Running the sync process in the LF? Need more info!

Yup. Axe to LF, just using the upload function from the utility menu. I'd run it a couple times in the last couple days. First, using the editor and then directly from the Axe, I noticed some presets misnamed. When I start scrolling through on the Axe itself I later found a couple empty presets. After then loading my preset manager from the Axe Edit, I made some changes including replacing the first preset I'd noticed missing, and then saved the bank back to the Axe. Later, then scrolling through the entire bank on the Axe I see missing presets that are not showing up on the preset manager on the Axe Edit once I uploaded the bank again and re-saved it. All of this is happening on bank A.

Snagglefinger said:
quonsar said:

Yup. Axe to LF, just using the upload function from the utility menu. I'd run it a couple times in the last couple days. First, using the editor and then directly from the Axe, I noticed some presets misnamed. When I start scrolling through on the Axe itself I later found a couple empty presets. After then loading my preset manager from the Axe Edit, I made some changes including replacing the first preset I'd noticed missing, and then saved the bank back to the Axe. Later, then scrolling through the entire bank on the Axe I see missing presets that are not showing up on the preset manager on the Axe Edit once I uploaded the bank again and re-saved it. All of this is happening on bank A.

I seriously doubt its the foot controller is the issue/ The upload function pulls the patch name and effects state FROM the axe-fx. You can email; Jeff to see if that is even possible Have you been using the new beta editor for the Axe-fx?

The only way I could even remotely see that as possible is if you had some sort of strange midi loop back problem going on. Even them, the liquid foot should prevent that from happening and it would only corrupt stuff on the liquid foot.

edit: I can see that you are using the beta editor. My guess is that you unintentionally did something there and now are just noticing it or you discovered a bug. Email Jeff just the same to see if he has heard of this issue w/ the liquid foot jr.

javajunkie said:
Snagglefinger said:
quonsar said:

I seriously doubt its the foot controller is the issue/ The upload function pulls the patch name and effects state FROM the axe-fx. You can email; Jeff to see if that is even possible Have you been using the new beta editor for the Axe-fx?

The only way I could even remotely see that as possible is if you had some sort of strange midi loop back problem going on. Even them, the liquid foot should prevent that from happening and it would only corrupt stuff on the liquid foot.

edit: I can see that you are using the beta editor. My guess is that you unintentionally did something there and now are just noticing it or you discovered a bug. Email Jeff just the same to see if he has heard of this issue w/ the liquid foot jr.

I have emailed Jeff before. This started before I was using the Axe beta Editor. He said it had to do with the Axe and not the Jr. which is why I'm posting here. I never saw this behavior before uploading from the Liquid - Foot. I'm not saying that the beta editor is not exacerbating the problem, I but somehow the interaction between the LF and the Axe is also involved. I seem to be fixing these by needing to copy a preset to the preset manager, moving the number on the Axe-Edit to the appropriate number and then pasting over. Then saving to the Axe lines them up again. Unfortunately at this time I have to do this for the entire bank as everything at one point is misnamed by one preset number.

Java is correct-- the LF does not write to anything in the AXE. can't change presets, and most certainly doesn't overwrite or wipe things.

when you say "wiped"--- is it the LF display, or the AXE itself that is causing you issue. If its the LF display- then thats a whole other story and you are confusing that programming with the AXE... If its the display on the LF- then email and we can arrange a phone time. If its the AXE- keep up the questioning over here as it has nothing to do with the Liquid-Foot.

hope this gets solved.

U2JustMe said:
Java is correct-- the LF does not write to anything in the AXE. can't change presets, and most certainly doesn't overwrite or wipe things.

when you say "wiped"--- is it the LF display, or the AXE itself that is causing you issue. If its the LF display- then thats a whole other story and you are confusing that programming with the AXE... If its the display on the LF- then email and we can arrange a phone time. If its the AXE- keep up the questioning over here as it has nothing to do with the Liquid-Foot.

hope this gets solved.

Wiped means the preset disappears from the Axe - it becomes an empty space. It may have to do with the Axe but I never saw this behavior until it was initiated by uploading from the LF.

Snagglefinger said:
U2JustMe said:

hope this gets solved.

Wiped means the preset disappears from the Axe - it becomes an empty space. It may have to do with the Axe but I never saw this behavior until it was initiated by uploading from the LF.

did this happen after you updated to 8.x. The 8.x firmware did that to some of my presets

One other thing FWIW: The Axe-Edit preset manager will not load a preset into one of these empty spaces until I copy some sort of preset to fill it using the Axe FX. Once there is a preset in place then my copying process works.

Snagglefinger said:
One other thing FWIW: The Axe-Edit preset manager will not load a preset into one of these empty spaces until I copy some sort of preset to fill it using the Axe FX. Once there is a preset in place then my copying process works.

That's because of the 8.x update. It did the same thing to me. Are you on 8.02 now? Fortunately for me it was only a few presets. I'll look back and see how others fixed it that had bunches more.

javajunkie said:
Snagglefinger said:

That's because of the 8.x update. It did the same thing to me. Are you on 8.02 now? Fortunately for me it was only a few presets. I'll look back and see how others fixed it that had bunches more.

Yes, 8.02

I find the Axe-Editor randomly renames presets on me still. I can't reproduce it reliable, but it's still happening. Actually: it doesn't rename per se, it adds random characters to the end of the patch names. I'd focus on the Axe-Editor as the culprit. If you don't have the Axe-Editor connected to your unit, just the LF -- do you still see the problem happen?

iaresee said:
I find the Axe-Editor randomly renames presets on me still. I can't reproduce it reliable, but it's still happening. Actually: it doesn't rename per se, it adds random characters to the end of the patch names. I'd focus on the Axe-Editor as the culprit. If you don't have the Axe-Editor connected to your unit, just the LF -- do you still see the problem happen?

I've seen the random character thang as well, and again I've seen it caused by the LF. In fact I haven't seen it, in my case, caused by Axe-Edit but obviously that happens as your experience attests. But this is different as it is shifting one (correct) name to a different preset. At this point I suspect that having these empty presets (only showing up on the Axe, not the Axe-Edit preset manager) could well be involved so for now when I save a bank or upload any presets to the Jr. I'm going to scroll through the presets on the Axe and make sure when I make changes that nothing is blanking out or, if so to put something in the empty slot.

Also I never run the Axe-Edit without it hooked up to the Axe. Or when I'm running the LF editor the LF gets plugged into my PC. I don't have a way of running the LF, the Axe, and an editor all at once. Even if I could, with these problems I wouldn't do it. I'd keep it as simple as possible to clearly know what device is doing what.

Snagglefinger said:
I've seen the random character thang as well, and again I've seen it caused by the LF.

You don't understand what is going on. You cannot "upload from" the Liquid-Foot. The Liquid-Foot does not write to the Axe-Fx. Whatever problems you are having with the Axe-Fx, the Liquid-Foot is not causing them.

8.02 has blanked presets without using the editor. I've had presets blanked that I sent in with sendsx. It's an incompatibility thing with the preset and the firmware, I guess.

I have updated the presets at 7.18 (utility button, page 2, bottom), loaded 8.02 and updated the presets again. That seems to have worked as I lost no presets. But several older presets blanked right after sending them to the axe.

quonsar said:
Snagglefinger said:
I've seen the random character thang as well, and again I've seen it caused by the LF.

You don't understand what is going on. You cannot "upload from" the Liquid-Foot. The Liquid-Foot does not write to the Axe-Fx. Whatever problems you are having with the Axe-Fx, the Liquid-Foot is not causing them.

I understand that. The process of writing to the LF nevertheless is when I started seeing random characters, misnamed patches and now along with some editor use, empty patches. Let me also mention that pre Axe-editor use I would go to save presets that were named, and when I went to store them, the name would display <empty> until I stored a preset to it. I would have to save a preset before a name would appear and the Axe would tell me there was a preset there. I'm not seeing that now but I am seeing completely empty presets with no names, no output, nada.

That's why I posted this here and not on the LF forum. I'm not disagreeing that the beta editor or firmware is likely causing some of the problems, just noting that I was seeing this stuff before using the editor while using the LF. Make of that what you will. Call the LF a catalyst. I'm simply trying to add some data and perhaps find a solution.

Snagglefinger said:
quonsar said:
Snagglefinger said:

I understand that. The process of writing to the LF nevertheless is when I started seeing random characters, misnamed patches and now along with some editor use, empty patches. Let me also mention that pre Axe-editor use I would go to save presets that were named, and when I went to store them, the name would display <empty> until I stored a preset to it. I would have to save a preset before a name would appear and the Axe would tell me there was a preset there. I'm not seeing that now but I am seeing completely empty presets with no names, no output, nada.

That's why I posted this here and not on the LF forum. I'm not disagreeing that the beta editor or firmware is likely causing some of the problems, just noting that I was seeing this stuff before using the editor while using the LF. Make of that what you will. Call the LF a catalyst. I'm simply trying to add some data and perhaps find a solution.

what everyone is saying here (including jeff) is that your probably barking up the wrong tree with lf pro. It most likely has nothing to do w/ the lf jr. just coincidence (noticing the effect while using the LF doesn't necessarily mean the LF has anything to do with it at all). This is bolstered by the fact that no one else using the LF or LF jr. is experiencing this (that anyone has noted). If you want to track it down, sart eliminating variables would be my suggestion.

It looks as if the problem was that the Axe-FX's midi mapper was turned on. Once that was turned off I've had good results with auto-loading. Thank you Fractal Tech support.

Back
Top Bottom