Levels changing when adding blocks

Probably really basic question but why do levels change when effects blocks are added? Some examples:

1. I dialed in a delay sound I liked using a simple delay block - everything else shunts. I then decided to add a pitch block in series before the delay. As soon as I add the pitch block, the volume decreases. As I turn the mix of the pitch block up, the overall output volume decreases and conversely, as I turn the mix to off, I return to the volume I was at before adding the effect. Do you "recoup" the lost volume in the pitch block, or does it matter? My preference would be to not have levels change at all rather, simply be able to control the wet/dry mix without having to compensate for volume. Is this possible?

2. Same scenario but this time I add the pitch block in parallel. As soon as I make the split and sum it back, the output volume jumps. Have I essentially doubled the output now? Since I split the signal in parallel I assume I now need to adjust the wet/dry mix too? Again, wondering if there is a more cut and dry way to add blocks where levels are not changed but control over the mix level of each effect is possible. Unless I'm missing something in which case I'm all ears.

Thanks!

1. Turn up the level a bit
2. It's the nature of the beast. Yes, you sum 2 signal and therefore double the level. You have to halve each output block, put the level down about 3db.

1. Use the level control of the block to increase the volume. The mix is the balance between the dry and the effect level, more mix will decrease the dry level. That's why have to compansate the levels of any effect blocks.

2. In parallel mode drive the mix to 100% and turn the level down a bit, by fewer than 100% will be added extra dry signal to the mix = increasing the volume level. I'm using this sometimes to make the sound louder e.g. by switching on the delay for lead parts.

Why do some effects continue to reduce the output level even when they are bypassed? I have bypass mode set to 0% mix, yet when the effect is bypassed the volume is still reduced. Am I doing something wrong or are some effects just not true-bypass?

Ugg said:
Why do some effects continue to reduce the output level even when they are bypassed? I have bypass mode set to 0% mix, yet when the effect is bypassed the volume is still reduced. Am I doing something wrong or are some effects just not true-bypass?

Usually, they don't reduce the level when bypassed they add to the level when engaged. True bypass is meaningless in the digital realm (I don't know of any effects units that simulate non-true bypass). Can you give a particular example?

Ok, no more late night editing for me.. :oops: When I compared a straight shunt path vs. one effect bypassed the level was the same. Also, I was able to raise the level of an un-bypassed effect mixed at 50% to get unity gain (same level as effect bypassed).

The level difference I am hearing is not in the effect bypass, it's the global bypass. When I engage the global Bypass button the level is a lot louder than a straight shunt path. What does the global bypass take out of the signal chain that makes it louder?

Back
Top Bottom