Level drop when running into board

nextfoolmartyr

Inspired
I bought a mixing board Friday so that I can run my Axe, Looper pedal, and Mac/Ipod through my QSC monitor.

I have it all set up and working, but the level drop is very noticeable.

More specifically, plug the Axe only into the QSC and there is the normal level. Plug the Axe into the Mixer, then to the QSC with no other input and I only get about 1/2-2/3 the volume from before.

Some adjustment I need to make?

When hooking up to different Mixers (FOH situation) I have always had to adjust the Outpu1 on my axe. Its usually at 9 o'clock or at 2. Does your mixer have a meter bridge? Are you coming in good and hot?

GuitarDojo said:
When hooking up to different Mixers (FOH situation) I have always had to adjust the Outpu1 on my axe. Its usually at 9 o'clock or at 2. Does your mixer have a meter bridge? Are you coming in good and hot?

I'm not sure what a meter bridge is.

This is the (big version) board I bought, for reference.

ZOOMED_1402VLZ3.jpg

I didnt adjust the output of my Axe when I did this. Knowing that I may need to is cool, and I can do that, I just assumed it would be a more "transparent" outcome since I'm basically only putting one "thing" in-line.

Do you think the board is just "tone sucking" or something?

nextfoolmartyr said:
GuitarDojo said:

I'm not sure what a meter bridge is.

This is the (big version) board I bought, for reference.

ZOOMED_1402VLZ3.jpg

I didnt adjust the output of my Axe when I did this. Knowing that I may need to is cool, and I can do that, I just assumed it would be a more "transparent" outcome since I'm basically only putting one "thing" in-line.

Do you think the board is just "tone sucking" or something?

Where are you plugging it into. Which outs on the axe-fx (out 1 /2 , balanced unbalanced) into which input on the mixer? Balanced or Unbalanced on the main outs of the mixer?

The "meter bridge" on your board would be the two rows of LED on the far right, just above the MAIN MIX level faders.

try this:
- pull down all faders of all channels completely, then raise only the faders of the input channel(s) your using up to unity gain (marked as "U" on beneath the faders). suppose you use channel 1 & 2 to connect your axe-fx to the mackie board, raise faders 1 & 2 up until the black mark hits the little "U".
- do the same with the two MAIN MIX faders on the far right.
- turn the GAIN knob(s) on the top end of each channel you are using to hit the little "U"
- push down the SOLO button for the channels you are using

now play your axe-fx and watch the "meter bridge":
- the yellow LEDs should lighten up almost always, with the red LEDs lightening up just occasionally.

if there is to little level: slowly raise the GAIN knob clockwise until your level is good.

if there is too much level already: lower the GAIN knob ccw until your level is good.

done, deactivate the SOLO knobs.

if your level inside the board is ok, you can now lower or raise the MAIN MIX faders to set your overall (stage) volume.
(Or leave the board faders alone and use your monitors level control to set your overall volume)

that's just one way to do it, but it should work reasonably well.

best regards,
quasimono

Ahhh- I have used this board a time or two. (1602 and the 24/4 VLZ pro)

The meters are on the right above the main mix sliders. Say your axe is coming in CH.1 and Ch.2 (Left and right) btw I usually hard pan ch.1 left and ch2. right.
Make sure the gain on the mixer is up high enough - Check the meters (and use your ears)

GuitarDojo said:

The meters are on the right above the main mix sliders. Say your axe is coming in CH.1 and Ch.2 (Left and right) btw I usually hard pan ch.1 left and ch2. right.
Make sure the gain on the mixer is up high enough - Check the meters (and use your ears)

I would use the balanced line 7-8 ins and the balanced outs. then you don't have to worry about the gain. I wouldn't want to go thru the mic preamp if I could avoid it.

javajunkie said:
I would use the balanced line 7-8 ins and the balanced outs. then you don't have to worry about the gain. I wouldn't want to go thru the mic preamp if I could avoid it.

I wont be running in stereo, so if I use 7/8 do I just plug one 1/4" into the mono input (and if I'm reading you right, levels are taken out of the equation and it should just pass the signal through)?

I've only used XLR out of the QSC, so I dont even know if they have 1/4" plugs on there. I know I have an adapter if I need it though.

nextfoolmartyr said:
javajunkie said:

I wont be running in stereo, so if I use 7/8 do I just plug one 1/4" into the mono input (and if I'm reading you right, levels are taken out of the equation and it should just pass the signal through)?

I've only used XLR out of the QSC, so I dont even know if they have 1/4" plugs on there. I know I have an adapter if I need it though.

Get a balanced to xlr to 1/4 cable or adapter. Go Axe-fx XLR to input 7 (L/ mono). go balanced out to the monior. Put the channel 7 fader at unity and the main out at unity. Line in level shout be at +4.

nextfoolmartyr said:
More specifically, plug the Axe only into the QSC and there is the normal level. Plug the Axe into the Mixer, then to the QSC with no other input and I only get about 1/2-2/3 the volume from before.

I had the same issue. I have been running power amp/guitar cab and miking up live with my Axe-FX since I got. Recently, I started running direct to FOH and immediately had a definite volume drop to my power amp/cab. I asked around here about it and didn't really find an answer, so I just turn up a little more at the Axe-FX output to compensate.

javajunkie said:
GuitarDojo said:

ahh.. Good point.

jarrett said:
nextfoolmartyr said:

I had the same issue. I have been running power amp/guitar cab and miking up live with my Axe-FX since I got. Recently, I started running direct to FOH and immediately had a definite volume drop to my power amp/cab. I asked around here about it and didn't really find an answer, so I just turn up a little more at the Axe-FX output to compensate.

If you use unbalanced cables you will lose 6db of signal. I don't know if that is the case for you.

Finally got the XLR to 1/4" adapter and, excited, got it all up and running.

Same problem. No real improvement at all, in fact I had to push the line in level to the +4 and raise the channel fader up to its max to get even the yellow dB meters to say hi.

Surely I'm just a bonehead, but this is a drag.

I was planning on ditching my powered Mackie that I use the line out (to go to powered PA speakers) and using this with more channels. I cant see that happening if I cant get it loud enough to hear over the kick and bass.

grrrr.

:evil:

A question about output levels on the Ultra

I'm currently having issues with my output volume of the Axe when I put a mixer in between it and my QSC, so I'm troubleshooting with guys who are live sound engineers to see what I may be doing wrong.

This question was posed and I cant answer it. Can someone help with this one?

"It's possible that there is a +4 output option on the AXE (I'm not that familiar w/ it) and there can indeed be plenty of level in that case. Generally, with proper gain structure, mixers will be able to deliver plenty of signal to drive any powered speaker on the market w/ at least 10dB of headroom."

Re: A question about output levels on the Ultra

According to Cliff, the Axe-Fx can deliver pretty hot output levels (+18 dB) when the Output knobs are cranked. You definitely don't want to feed this into a MIC-level input on a mixer (or other piece of gear) without padding the input.

nextfoolmartyr said:
I'm currently having issues with my output volume of the Axe when I put a mixer in between it and my QSC,
It would help if you describe what those issues are.

Jay Mitchell said:
nextfoolmartyr said:
I'm currently having issues with my output volume of the Axe when I put a mixer in between it and my QSC,
It would help if you describe what those issues are.

Oh man...

Here is a link if you care to read it.

There is a chance those guys have it figured out for me, but I'd still love to get your take, Jay.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ?t=2309641

If not, I'll keep after it. I'm sure its user error.

It's pretty simple. The Axe-FX is putting out +4dB line level IIRC. Setting the input of the Mackie to +4 (U) and all faders and master at unity should give you +4 dB into the QSC.
If both the Axe and your laptop exhibit the same behaviour: blast direct into the QSC and half with the mixer then the mixer is the problem.
That button there on the back is probably it. Actually with all the gain you've been giving it this mixer should blast the QSC into oblivion. Turn down the QSC before you flip that switch.

My bureau mixer (tiny Behringer mx602) has even way stronger output than the Axe-FX.

Thanks for taking the time, Dutch.

I'm anxious to get home and try that button out. I hope to feel a giant wave of relief knowing I can use it as I expected when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom