Let's see those FM9 rigs!

I have a cali76 for my tube amps and am on waitlist for fm9. Have you compared the fractal jfet comp to the cali76? Would be great not to use any external pedals with fm9, but the cali76 is simply incredible. Thanks for sharing your board!
I haven’t compared though I play with the Cali always on. My thought was to include it since I had the space and keeping a block free on the FM9. Not that I have anything complex enough I’d need to worry about that with. Yet!

Having trouble finding this in this long (and ever growing) thread...for those with a Temple Audio 34 (and didn't cut their own cables), what general length of cables have you used for going from side modules to FM9 (or exp pedals to FM9)?
Is 2 ft enough generally? Seems like maybe only the longest run from one end to the other is 3 ft, so have you just done that and zip tied the extra length underneath?
I decided it would be easier to drill a few of the holes a little bigger for XLR's rather than solder myself, so looking for off-the-shelf low profile XLRs if anyone has recommendations in that department. I know it's been posted but I can't find it with the search function.
Also, anyone have good right-angle TRS cable recs for the expression pedals and the TRS-out to 1/4inch module?

Last edited:
If you use the modules from Temple, they will come with the cables. They're TRS male for the module and XLR for the FM9.

What modules is everyone finding useful? I'm thinking of going with the 4 XLR 1/4" module. What about a power module? And perhaps a USB module for FM9 Edit?

If you use the modules from Temple, they will come with the cables. They're TRS male for the module and XLR for the FM9.
Thanks. I didn't get the TRS to XLR module though, I got a 4 x TRS/TS 1/4 inch one (didn't come with cables) and building my own XLR ones with the patch plate modules and some neutrik XLR connectors (again, no cables).
So plan is to drill some larger holes in the back of the board and fish some low-profile XLRs, TRS, and TS cables through them to the modules.
So looking for good recs on low-profile right angle of the above types of cables (in, I guess, 2 ft lengths)

What modules is everyone finding useful? I'm thinking of going with the 4 XLR 1/4" module. What about a power module? And perhaps a USB module for FM9 Edit?
I haven't yet actually built this but have everything (other than cables actually) sitting in my office ready to put together. My decision for modules:
1 x Temple Audio 4 way jack patch module on the right side of board (for 2 instrument ins to IN1 and IN2, and TRS balanced from either OUT1 or OUT3 for options depending on gig) (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-4X--temple-audio-4-way-jack-patch-module)
2 x Temple Mini Punched Plate (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-MIPP--temple-audio-mini-module-punched-plate)
-On one side I'll do 2x Neutrik XLR connectors for stereo OUT1, on the other side 2x Neutrik connectors for stereo OUT2. (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NA3MDF--neutrik-na3mdf)
-Will use another one of those slots for a USB-A to USB-C Switchcraft connector for USB from the FM9 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EHUSBBAB--switchcraft-panel-mount-connector-usb-b-to-a)
For power, bought one of the Temple IEC micro modules for one of the "solo" micro slots, probably on the left (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-IEC--temple-audio-iec-ac-mains-micro-module)

That leaves me two slots to play with:
-one extra slot in one of the punched plates
-one "solo" micro slots

Not sure what I'll fill them with yet. Options are an extra USB input for power, maybe a midi port (don't have any midi yet, but maybe I'll want to someday?) or a FASLINK in case I end up with some extra FC or something...open to suggestions although this thread is full of them.

Also still need to decide on power strip for the bottom for expandability vs. just going straight from FM9 to the power module. Don't have any other pedals on there at the moment.

I use the 1/4" TRS x 4 module, the dual XLR module, and the power module. I spliced the A/C module to a dual A/C + USB power supply off Amazon to run my FM9 and power for my wireless. I run my out-1 to the XLR module for FOH and my out-2 to the 1/4" TRS for my FRFR's. Works pretty well.
1679510135263.jpeg

I haven't yet actually built this but have everything (other than cables actually) sitting in my office ready to put together. My decision for modules:
1 x Temple Audio 4 way jack patch module on the right side of board (for 2 instrument ins to IN1 and IN2, and TRS balanced from either OUT1 or OUT3 for options depending on gig) (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-4X--temple-audio-4-way-jack-patch-module)
2 x Temple Mini Punched Plate (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-MIPP--temple-audio-mini-module-punched-plate)
-On one side I'll do 2x Neutrik XLR connectors for stereo OUT1, on the other side 2x Neutrik connectors for stereo OUT2. (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NA3MDF--neutrik-na3mdf)
-Will use another one of those slots for a USB-A to USB-C Switchcraft connector for USB from the FM9 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EHUSBBAB--switchcraft-panel-mount-connector-usb-b-to-a)
For power, bought one of the Temple IEC micro modules for one of the "solo" micro slots, probably on the left (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-IEC--temple-audio-iec-ac-mains-micro-module)

That leaves me two slots to play with:
-one extra slot in one of the punched plates
-one "solo" micro slots

Not sure what I'll fill them with yet. Options are an extra USB input for power, maybe a midi port (don't have any midi yet, but maybe I'll want to someday?) or a FASLINK in case I end up with some extra FC or something...open to suggestions although this thread is full of them.

Also still need to decide on power strip for the bottom for expandability vs. just going straight from FM9 to the power module. Don't have any other pedals on there at the moment.
I like these options! I just ordered this stuff. The Neutrik jacks are out of stock, but I'm assuming they'll be available soon.

Couple more questions...
How are folks getting the cables from the FM9 to under the board to connect to the modules? Also, I'm assuming the short power and XLR cables are available somewhere?

I like these options! I just ordered this stuff. The Neutrik jacks are out of stock, but I'm assuming they'll be available soon.

Couple more questions...
How are folks getting the cables from the FM9 to under the board to connect to the modules? Also, I'm assuming the short power and XLR cables are available somewhere?
That's similar to question I asked a few posts ago. In terms of routing through a Temple Board, the holes aren't big enough for either XLR cables or the IEC power cable to go through.

For XLR, your options are
-Solder your own
-Expand the Temple holes by drilling (my choice, will prob try it this weekend) and put regular XLR's through there.

For IEC, you can by solder-less connectors at Home Depot. I'm gonna do that this weekend

Most TS/TRS 1/4inch connectors should fit through the bigger Temple board holes.

I'm looking for recs on good right-angle, low profile XLR cables.

I have some TRS ones already for the EXP pedals, I bought these: Amazon product ASIN B000068NYK
For TS cables your options through Amazon are pretty much endless.

Temple Trio 28
How well does screwing your mic stand into the pedalboard work for you? I've seen others do it and thought about doing that myself. I have a local guitar nerd friends say that he's tried it and it wasn't very stable. Curious how well it works for you. I could see a straight stand with an iPad mount would be just fine, but curious how a boom mic stand would fair.

EDIT: I think you answered it in another reply that you only use it for an iPad. Still cool!

Couple more questions...
I used the cables that came with the Temple modules so the XLR's go the the FM9 and the TRS ends go to the modules and fit thru the holes in the board. The FM9 power cable was too long so I cut it down to about 18" and spliced it back together after feeding it thru the hole. I had no need to drill any holes in my board doing it this way.

Concur. Amazon has the correct size, local hardware may not. The M3.5x0.6 16mm screw is somewhat of an odd duck, you can hardly locate it anywhere else than amazon (perhaps several additional online specialty hardware parts stores)

Here's the link again for anyone who needs to locate the correct screws...

Amazon product ASIN B078GY5T3D
Having trouble finding exact washers for this. Would someone handier than me report whether I can use M3, M4, or even a #6 size washer and have it work fine for this?

Having trouble finding exact washers for this. Would someone handier than me report whether I can use M3, M4, or even a #6 size washer and have it work fine for this?
A #4 thin aluminum washer works best. Your local hardware store will have these. The M3.5 x 0.6 16mms they likely will not. Amazon for those. Cheers.

That's similar to question I asked a few posts ago. In terms of routing through a Temple Board, the holes aren't big enough for either XLR cables or the IEC power cable to go through.

For XLR, your options are
-Solder your own
-Expand the Temple holes by drilling (my choice, will prob try it this weekend) and put regular XLR's through there.

For IEC, you can by solder-less connectors at Home Depot. I'm gonna do that this weekend

Most TS/TRS 1/4inch connectors should fit through the bigger Temple board holes.

I'm looking for recs on good right-angle, low profile XLR cables.

I have some TRS ones already for the EXP pedals, I bought these: Amazon product ASIN B000068NYK
For TS cables your options through Amazon are pretty much endless.
Just a heads-up...

If you choose right-angle low profile XLRs, you'll sacrifice some of your other potential connections (because the right > XLRS eat up back panel real estate). I just use straight low profile XLRs and use TS or TRS connectors for output 3 (floor monitor) and outputs 2 (XLR) for FOH.

I've tried setting up my FM9 numerous ways, and the straight low profile XLRs worked best.

Back
Top Bottom