Let's see those FM3 rigs!

How do you like the Hotone expression pedal? I'm trying to decide which one to buy. Thanks.
I looked at all the dif compatible pedals. Wanted a mission pedal but couldn't find any in stock at any Canadian music stores so thought id give the hotone a try.

I knew I'd be giving up using a single TRS cable and FM3 input with the Hotone versus the mission pedal, but honestly for half the price don't mind. Plus, now that i figured out how to use the auto on and off via contollers in axe edit and calibrated the pedal curve, its great. Feels nice and solid, and has super gripy textures on the surfaces.

View attachment 139344

My very modest, yet effective, little rig. Very happy with how it has worked out. Ampero switch on the left has Tuner on A and Preset/Scene view switch on B. Saves a lot of tap dancing.
Hi, I have exact same switch as yours and was able to put the Tuner on A button, but how do you setup the Preset/Scene view on switch B? I can’t firgue out lol

Hi, I have exact same switch as yours and was able to put the Tuner on A button, but how do you setup the Preset/Scene view on switch B? I can’t firgue out lol
I found a thread here in the forum for this. I should have probably documented it though lol. Take a look and I will as well. If I find it before you I will post it here.

View attachment Top.jpg
View attachment Side.jpg
View attachment Rear.jpg
View attachment Bottom.jpg

I just put the final touches on my rebuilt FM3 board. Here's the list of ingredients:
  • PedalTrain Classic Jr Pedalboard
  • BestTronics (BTPA) Patch Panel
  • D-Panel Connectors for Power, 1/4 Inch Audio, XLR, USB
  • 2 LED Strips
  • FM3 (just updated to FW8!)
  • Cioks DC7 Power Supply
  • 2 Fractal Audio EV-2 Controllers
  • DMC Micro.Pro MIDI Controller
  • 2-Button Footswitch (self-built)
  • DS Engineering Chronograph
  • Sonic Research Turbo Tuner
  • Xotic Effects EP Booster
Cabling is all custom-length. I use George L cables for audio. I do like their connectors and use them where possible, but I had a tight fit in this layout so I needed to solder squareplug low-profile 1/4 inch TS plugs in some cases. For the EV-2 pedals and the dual footswitch, I used 2-conductor shielded console cable with squareplug low-profile 1/4 inch TRS plugs. I shortened the USB cables for the FM3 and Micro.Pro. The power supply cables for the pedals are all custom-length; the feed for the EP Booster is running at 18v. The LED strips are just there because I like knowing where the pedalboard's edges are; most of our stage are dark, so this looks neat and keeps me from tripping over the stupid thing.

I use the tuner pedal because (1) I had it in my pedal collection and (2) it's a handy way to easily mute to tune. The EP Booster is there because (1) I had in my pedal collection and (2) I like how it warms up my guitar sound on the way into the FM3. Yes, I can do that same thing with the boost in the drive block, but this saves me using a drive block (along with the CPU associated with that block). The DS Chronograph is super handy; it's a clock and timer with an internal battery backup. I love knowing what time it is when we're playing, and occasionally use the countdown feature when we have a hard cutoff time.

The two-button footswitch is connected to the FM3 and acts as stand-in switches. They're assigned to increment / decrement scenes within a preset.

The DMC Micro.Pro does a couple of handy things. The two switches are programmed to increment / decrement presets. I connected one of the EV-2 pedals to it, and assigned it to control the FM3 output block volume.

With those things set up, I have the FM3 programmed to select presets within a given bank of 3. Holding buttons 1 or 2 increments / decrements the bank. Holding button 3 goes to another view with some handy functions including tap tempo. Holding button 3 returns to the previous view. This functionality gives me a lot of flexibility for stage work. I use a dedicated Preset for each song, and organize my scenes in the order of use for that song; sometimes I need to switch among scenes without incrementing / decrementing, and I have a layout to make that easier. But for 90% of my work, this setup lets me move pretty fast. I usually know my set lists in advance, so I just copy the presets into slots starting with #1.

Last edited:
This does everything. Board is a Rockboard Quad 4.2.

EV2 for volume, Ampero switch on the left is on the exp2 port, amp_level_and_save +2 and -2dB on the tap, tuner on hold 1 and view change on hold 2. Ampero midi is just switching scenes, although it does have some presets on bank 3. Freqout is because we're on in-ears. Sonicake volwah is plastic and I got it for a flygig, small and light. Actually doesn't sound half bad. I didn't think so but I like it also for doing swells. I got a Hotone Soul Press 2 on the way. The t.bone is a wireless receiver. thomann rebadged mipro. Mooer Puretone is mostly to tighten up bottom end and adapt to different guitars. I like it always on and tweak per guitar.

Underneath I have a self made power supply because the receiver needs 12V1A, a Yamaha MDBT-01 to connect to FracPad on the iPad (shoutout ALEX GRANVAUD!) and a midi merger for that and the Ampero Midi.

IMG_9256.jpeg
IMG_9259.jpeg
IMG_9254.jpeg
Fits perfectly into an Odyssey USA case that's like a Pelican but 1/3d the price. Probably not as strong, but hey, livin' on the edge. It's within weight req. so next time I'll fly this rig.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom