Let's see those FM3 rigs!

This is exactly what I’m thinking of doing! I’m using an FM9 now, but miss having pedals I can tweak on the fly. How do you like your drives in front of the FM3?
I'll be honest - I did not find it ideal. You have to be very careful with the level you are sending into the FM3. You can adjust the input pad to compensate, but I honestly didn't find the sound I was getting out of the pedals to be in any way superior to the drive pedals within the FM3. I have since rebuilt my "analog" rig around a Friedman IR-X and an HX Effects. Drive pedals in front, use the MIDI from the HX Effects to control the channels on the IR-X and I am extremely happy with that rig. It really satisfies my "tactile" itch that you're describing while still giving me most of the control that I have with my FM3 and FM9. I love my Fractal gear, but I find that I get the most out of it when the units are stand-alone.

Updated FM3 rig for '24. FM3, FC-6 and two Donner expression pedals on a Temple Duo34 board. Includes the Temple 2XMod quarter inch, XLR and IEC power modules. Simple and clean. Paired with a Fender FR-10 it's a great little rig. Just the got the FR-10 from Sweetwater and it's apparently one of the 'fixed' ones without the hissssssss. The thing is a little monster and loud as hell. Loving it so far.

View attachment 133086

View attachment 133087

View attachment 133088

View attachment 133089

View attachment 133091
man all of these Temple Audio boards!!! i'm feeling the need to try one - i love how need the cabling is laid out, but those side patch bays are aweseome! How is that Fender FR10 sounding? :)

Rockboard Quad 4.1 arrived today. Pedal Playground worked perfectly for planning the layout, looks like it’s going to be a neat solution. XSW-D receiver mounts underneath board on tray. I use the tuner on the FM3 so only need to see the battery level indicator light through the grill. Mod 3, flat cables, Joyo noise blocker, engl power tap (both for faslink power) and spare transmitter arriving Monday so will update on progress when finished.
IMG_4111.jpeg

man all of these Temple Audio boards!!! i'm feeling the need to try one - i love how need the cabling is laid out, but those side patch bays are aweseome! How is that Fender FR10 sounding? :)
Really liking the FR-10. MUCH easier on my old bones than the beastly Xitone - which I still love to pieces but it's a monster. The additional tone/volume shaping with the FR-10's controls is fantastic.

If you play live and deal with blacked out stages, some sort of patch bay is a great idea to prevent broken connectors on any floor unit, either by the built-in options on many pedalboards, or by building your own patchbay as I have (assuming you can solder etc?).

This 12" X 18" pedalboard complete with cheap case, DIY patchbay and cabling cost around $100, including clockable XLR's and right-angle MIDI connectors, D-Series punched project box, plus the D-Series 5-Pin DINs and XLR connectors, and the D-Series1/4" connector.

Apologies, crummy light in studio.

Last edited:
I have noticed that with the FM3 two more Switches are enough for me to go up and down with the Presets and tap tempo. It's amazing already with the combination of the three Switches ( I use a Preset for each song, anyway I have space and it works as a virtual playlist! ) And when 8.00 arrives then it will be perfection!

IMG_4234.jpeg

Rockboard Quad 4.1 arrived today. Pedal Playground worked perfectly for planning the layout, looks like it’s going to be a neat solution. XSW-D receiver mounts underneath board on tray. I use the tuner on the FM3 so only need to see the battery level indicator light through the grill. Mod 3, flat cables, Joyo noise blocker, engl power tap (both for faslink power) and spare transmitter arriving Monday so will update on progress when finished.
View attachment 138122
Does the whole board fit when putting in the soft case?

Does the whole board fit when putting in the soft case?

Mine fits in the Rockboard 4.1 soft case ... the top of the case puffs out a bit, but I can do the zip up and put a few things in the pockets.

I have a small pull along suitcase for gigs (a carry on luggage style one). I haven't tried it in that yet, but that will be my go to if I need to carry it around more regularly.

Mine fits in the Rockboard 4.1 soft case ... the top of the case puffs out a bit, but I can do the zip up and put a few things in the pockets.

I have a small pull along suitcase for gigs (a carry on luggage style one). I haven't tried it in that yet, but that will be my go to if I need to carry it around more regularly.
Happy to hear that! Ordered my 4.1 yesterday but my friend told me to be careful cuz the FM3 is too thick. Now we're good to go :D

Not my rig but I went to see the incredible Mezzoforte at Fasching in Stockholm and, yep, the FM3 were there hooked up to Friðrik Karlsson’s Fender Twin Reverb. Had a brief conversation with him at the end of the show and the the Twin Reverb was the sound out for the audience while the FM3 was used for the in ears along with effects. Sounded really good!

IMG_9228.jpeg

Here's my setup. I sold my AX8 when the FM3 was announced (actually made $ on my sale). Unfortunately I was in a weird Fractal-less purgatory. I picked up a few pedals that I have enjoyed before I went all Fractal and used a Kemper (never really liked) and a Strymon Iridium (good little pedal). Forgotten how much I enjoyed twisting knobs on the fly and having physical pedals...so I decided to go with a more modular approach to my rig. I miss the interaction of a treble boost/OD pedals and my guitar volume knob. I run my OD pedals in front of the FM3 and my delays in a loop. I can always pull off the FM3 for fly/quick gigs. It's so nice to be back in the Fractal world...the Nintendo controller is a a couple of stand in switches for FM3. I also use the roller knob for expression for the FM3. The FM3 controls the DPC.micro (different flavor drive pedals) via midi. The smart clock sets the time for the FM3/DL4/Tonal Recall and is controlled by the midi.baby. Mounted everything on a Creation Aero Flatboard and build a live in case for it. View attachment 70704View attachment 70705View attachment 70706View attachment 70707

Updated 2024 board...still rocking the FM3! Signal path is custom 2 loop switcher that switches between my treble boost (red) and Cusack Screamer Fuzz. From there it runs into the Archer clean klon boost. Got the Flint in the loop after the cabs. I use the midi baby as a tuner/runaway delay switch. Mini expression pedal to control plex verb mix (ran via midi baby also. I also use the SmartClock to control tempo for songs instead of switching presets. I use one per guitar...got a pretty complicated signal path within the FM3...I'll post it one of these days. Oh yea, added blue led glow lights on the bottom because I'm a sucker for led lights. I use my Strymon power supply to power them. IMG_3143.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom