Let's see those FM3 rigs!

This would be my perfect backup board. I love it. Can you tell me more about the cable you're using to go from faslink to the power tap? Did you make it yourself? (and could you make me one :sweatsmile: j/k (sorta)). But yeah, very nice.

Hi there. I didn't make it myself. I cut the XLR cable I needed. Cut the barrel connector that came with the Engl. Brought it to a local electronics shop to splice together. Not expensive and works perfectly. There's lots of information about it in this thread and others on the forum.

Guitar nerd alert. Downsized my small board to an even smaller footprint. The goal was to fit nicely in a double gig bag. I wound up with room to spare.

Here’s everything I’m getting out of this little rig, on one preset, in terms of pedals it would be replacing:

Noise Gate, Volume Pedal, Pitch Shifter, Octave Down, Whammy, Wah, Phaser, Flanger, UniVibe, Trem, Vintage Delay (Pre), 2 Drives (Klon & Zendrive), 2 Amps (Friedman BE100 & Plexi), 2 412 cab IRs (GB/V30 - SM57 & R121), Stereo Chorus, Stereo Tape Delay (Post), 2 Reverbs, Volume & Gain boosts…

There’s much more I could add, but that’s typically what I would want access to on the fly. It wasn’t that long ago that it would’ve taken a massive pedalboard and lots of heavy, expensive gear to make that happen. Especially in stereo. Gigging in mono is also a snap… one button push.

What a time to be alive! 🤣😎

IMG_9104.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9091-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_9091-compressed.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9092-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_9092-compressed.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Since a thousand words are worth a picture...here's my current signal chain.
1) Iris Compressor. Sweet and simple. A mini toggle for low, medium or high compresssion and a volume knob.
2) Steel String Clean Boost
3) ISP Decimator for my single coil and P-90 guitars
4) Band of Gypsys Fuzz
5) Toadworks Texas Flood. A tube screamer with smoother mids.
6) Morley George Lynch Tripler Pedal. This has an input with a boost and three outputs each with an on/off footswitch to send your signal to three
different devices/inputs. One output goes to the Radial (see #9) and another to the...
7) Carvin Steve Vai Legacy Drive Preamp. The preamp section of his Signature amp in pedal form.
8) Atomic Amplifire. My pre-FM3 pedal. I only use it for its power amp modeling (which Fractal doesn't do) with the Legacy Drive.
9) Radial Big Shot I/O. Two inputs and one output with a footswitch to choose which input, and a mute footswitch. So one input is my whole signal chain and the other is minus the Legacy/Amplifire.
10) Fractal Audio FM3. With this setup I can go from normal use to an IR/effects unit for the Carvin with a press of a switch. Output One to my
headphone amp (90% of the time) and Two out to a pair of Adam 5" monitors.
11) My ears, which love what they are hearing.
Update to this rig now. No longer using the Radial I/O. Instead I send the Legacy Drive preamp chain into a TE Electronics G-Maor. I then send that chain and the FM3 chain into seperate channels of my headphone amp/mixer, which means I can listen to both at the same time. Ears are very happy.

Hey, what pedal board are you using? I love how compact it is!

Also, +1 for the Moog! Fun fact: you can shave 80% weight off it by removing the 1/8" steel base plate and replacing it with rigid plastic! 🙃
Thanks man! I pre measured the size I would need then ordered a custom flat board from Creation Music Co. Mine is 17x10. I used to make them myself, but now, with the cost of materials and time, it was just better to have them do it. They make great stuff.

Hi folks. Just finished up my pedalboard. Lot's of inspiration and information in this thread.

2 Hotone double switches mounted from underneath used as stand-in switches.

Midi Baby gives me a switch for tap tempo and tuner and also an input for an expression pedal through midi.

FasLink powers the Midi Baby and LED's through the Engl Portable Power Tap.

I use a tweaked version of @Patzag excellent FM3 Alone https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...w-to-use-the-3-switches-by-themselves.161070/

I'm also a big fan of @austinbuddy Live Gold https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-1000-livegold-tonepack-for-cygnus-x2.164305/

Everything works perfectly. Lots of options. Compact and powerful without being crowded and totally self contained. This is ideal for me.

I love my FM3. Such an inspiring and creative tool.

NDPQDRf.jpg
dnNr27u.jpg
VYopVEe.jpg
2Ci660k.jpg
bfh0wkk.jpg
zkjoQfP.jpg
qqtUYRa.jpg
8Je1qM3.jpg
Are those Hotone switches latching? Or only momentary?

Guitar nerd alert. Downsized my small board to an even smaller footprint. The goal was to fit nicely in a double gig bag. I wound up with room to spare.

Here’s everything I’m getting out of this little rig, on one preset, in terms of pedals it would be replacing:

Noise Gate, Volume Pedal, Pitch Shifter, Octave Down, Whammy, Wah, Phaser, Flanger, UniVibe, Trem, Vintage Delay (Pre), 2 Drives (Klon & Zendrive), 2 Amps (Friedman BE100 & Plexi), 2 412 cab IRs (GB/V30 - SM57 & R121), Stereo Chorus, Stereo Tape Delay (Post), 2 Reverbs, Volume & Gain boosts…

There’s much more I could add, but that’s typically what I would want access to on the fly. It wasn’t that long ago that it would’ve taken a massive pedalboard and lots of heavy, expensive gear to make that happen. Especially in stereo. Gigging in mono is also a snap… one button push.

View attachment 137184
Where did you get the add on switches?

So how do you utilize the 4 of them?
I use the 4 switches as stand-in switches. From left to right...

Switch 1 is tap to increment views and hold to decrement views.
Switch 2 is tap to show scenes and hold to show presets.
Switch 3 is tap to show effects and hold to show channels.
Switch 4 is tap to show control switches and hold to show looper.

I really like this arrangement. Works great. For me. I don't gig anymore. If I was gigging with it, I might set it up differently. But for home use, creating, experimenting, recording, I like it. I pick a function with a switch... then I either select something on the FM3 or... page up or down with Switch 1 then select something on the FM3. It makes sense to me. I can get around on it pretty fast like this. Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 137184

I have an FM3 MkII coming... What is the name of this setup or mode? With the scenes showing and the double function for each foot switch?

PS - sick little setup! Love the minimalism!!

Thnx

This is a layout that I created using all 4 views. Each switch is a toggle between 2 scenes, with the 'top' or first press of each being sort of main presets. Hold switch 1 for scene 7, and switch 3 for scene 8 (not often used), hold switch 2 for a volume/solo boost (scene inpredendent). The lower button on the 2 button OCD switch toggles between 2 views (like pages) worth of fx. Some effects switches have holds for a secondary effect (typically things I would be have on at the same time). The top button returns to Scenes (like home base) and holding it brings up the tuner and Preset Up/Down buttons. I never use a Tap Tempo, but it would be easy to add it there.

Let me see if I can upload the layout.

Attachments

• IMG_9790.jpeg
    IMG_9790.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9795.jpeg
    IMG_9795.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: LCW
Thanks - appreciate the info! I'll have to dive into how to setup something similar when my FM3 MkII shows up - just got tracking should arrive this Thurs!

Thanks - appreciate the info! I'll have to dive into how to setup something similar when my FM3 MkII shows up - just got tracking should arrive this Thurs!
Cool, enjoy! Once you get the unit, when you open FM-3 Edit, you can go to the FC Edit button and see your switches. There's a small down carrot on the left side of the screen , and an option to export all layouts. I would do that first, then import that all layouts file I posted. That way, if it's not what you want, it's easy to go back.

Reactions: LCW
Finally pull the trigger, just got mine last week. I've come from a Helix LT (about 2 years), sold it weeks ago and bought a second FM3, with external exp pedal.

No proper pedalboad atm, I think Im gonna get some mini gigbag with no pedalboard next month, for travel-friendly kinda thing (I ride motorcycle. No car atm)

FM3 \m/

Attachments

• IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
View attachment 122988
Been working on a hybrid setup for a while now with the FM3. Blackstar Live Logic controls scenes through MIDI CC, and scene MIDI from FM3 controls the Strymon pedals. This setup scratched my itch for a “traditional” pedalboard while my FM9 is still my “all-in-one” solution. Really enjoying the sounds and flexibility I’m getting out of this rig.
This is exactly what I’m thinking of doing! I’m using an FM9 now, but miss having pedals I can tweak on the fly. How do you like your drives in front of the FM3?

Back
Top Bottom