Less headroom on clean fenders?

The Twin defaults to a damping of 5. Are you using the editor? I'm wondering if this is the source of some of these problems.

No, I intentionally used one of the blank patches I created with Axe-Edit (no blocks at all) as my starting place, but I did everything from the front panel with USB not connected. I had to look in the manual to figure out how to connect shunts together. :) I added only an AMP 1 block & a CAB 1 block. Nothing else. Selected Double Verb for the amp & 2X12 Blue for the cab. No mic.

I thought it was odd, too, so I double-clicked on the BYPASS button to reset it (after changing it to 5) and it went back to 2.

I just chose the twin as it is the most powerful one in the Axe & would seem to be the cleanest one. A dual showman would be great too! At this point, any version of a real clean Fender would make me happy. I have tried lowering MVs & gains, input trims & pretty much everything else I can think of. The issue for me is, while I can get most of the distortion out, it doesn't sound as good tone wise. The tone of the default setting is great, it just distorts way too easily with any medium to aggressive picking attack which was not happening in any version prior to V6. I don't use Axe Edit so that is not the issue for me. I did go from 5.04 to 6.0 so I don't no if there is some corruption issue. All I can say is the twin in my Axe acts more like it's got 40 year old tubes & a half fried transformer.

Maybe you could post a clip to illustrate what you are getting with the same Drive and Master settings that others are saying seems to work well for them.

It really isn't that hard to get a clean out of something like the doubleverb. Literally dialed in in under a minute.
I could make it ALOT better but just dry amp into a cab clean fender can easily be done.

just to let you know the http link sounds great ,but the play button in the post sounds really distorted .at least it does on this end

The Twin defaults to a damping of 5. Are you using the editor? I'm wondering if this is the source of some of these problems.

You're right. It was the 65 Bassman I was thinking of. Sorry. I was working through several of the Fender amps. Shouldn't post from memory.

There were three versions of the Bassman in that era, the AA864, AA165, and AB165. In 1965-1966 all three were in production so you can't say that a Bassman = a Bassman. In version 6 the model was changed AND MATCHED to a Bassman with the AB165 circuit. Yes, it has a lot more gain. That's not a bad thing.

If you want me to do a clip and prove it I will but I have better things to do with my time.

The 65 Bassman in v.06 sounds great and is one of my favorite amps in the Axe II. Great job!

Seriously guys, try the JTM45.

History

The JTM 45 was first built in 1962, handmade in an all-aluminum chassis, by Ken Bran and Dudley Craven. Because of its power, Marshall decided early on to build it as a head, with a separate 4x12" cabinet with Celestion speakers. The amplifier itself was based on the Fender Bassman. It uses KT66 vacuum tubes or valves (though early versions had used US 5881, a version of the 6L6[3]), and 12AX7 tubes (known in Britain as ECC83 valves) in the pre-amplification stage.[2]

Significant differences between the Bassman and the JTM include the all-aluminum chassis (it is less susceptible to hum than a steel chassis), a 12AX7 valve as the first in the chain (the Bassman has a 12AY7), the Celestion speakers with a closed cabinet (compared to open-backed Jensen speakers), and a modified feedback circuit which affects the harmonics produced by the amplifier. As Ken Bran later said, "The JTM also had different harmonic content, and this was due to the large amount of feedback I had given it."[4] The amp was also available as a bass (which lacked a "bright" switch) and a PA version.[4]

By the mid 1960s, the JTM 45 had become so popular that it began to supplant the ubiquitous Vox amps, even their AC50, though it was just as powerful.[5]

In late 1965, Marshall introduced its now standard script lettering, in white, and by early 1966 it began calling the amplifiers "JTM 50".[4] Some 100 early models had red lettering; these are especially collectible.[2] Other cosmetic changes included a gradual switch to different knobs. The JTM 45 became the basis for many subsequent Marshalls, most notably the Bluesbreaker.[6] It ceased being produced in 1966, but was reissued in 1989, though with a modern printed circuit board and 6L6 valves.[4]

Sound

For all of its differences with the Bassman, the sound of the JTM 45 is still described as "like a tweed Fender"; it has more sag and less crunch than the later Marshalls, and is favored for blues and rock rather than for hard rock and metal.[7] The JTM 45 does not deliver the famous Marshall "crunch" that became so sought after.[8]

Marshall JTM 45 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a video clip of Eric Johnson switching back and forth from his Plexi lead sound to a pair of clean Fender Twin Reverbs with JBLs. He has one of my favorite clean sounds, (and lead sounds as well). Maybe someone here can dial in Eric's clean sound on a pair of Axe II Twin amp sims to show it can be done.

Eric Johnson Guitar Lessons - YouTube

I am able to get clean sounds on all of the 6.0 Fender amps, as long as I play softly. If I hit the strings hard on my Strat it distorts a little no matter what the settings on the Axe. So playing hard like SRV does will make the clean Fender amps distort. I think this may be what some people are talking about on the forum. I noticed on this video clip the same thing at various points in Eric's demo, so real Twin Reverbs do it also.

To me all the amps in 6.0 sound better. Many sound way better. Like the Hiwatt, Vox AC30, Plexi, 65 Bassman, etc. Fractal just keeps getting better.

The 65 Bassman in 6.0 is one of my favorite amps in the Axe II. You can get that clean Jimi Hendrix sound easily with it.

I use a real 59 Bassman live on a daily basis. The 59 Bassman in 6.0 is much closer to the real thing now. I have not been able to dial it in to match my amp exactly yet, but it is much closer than before. I'm going to use an A/B box and go back and forth between the Axe II and my Bassman and try to match them up exactly when I get the time.

Fenders are DESIGNED to reach full power at around three.

There you have it, the real black face amps breakup at three, so do the models. Less breakup turn down the input trim 6dB which would simulate going into the low input and give a bit more.

I have no problems keeping amps like the 59 and 65 Bassman and Twin Reverb clean, if that's what I'm going for. The Deluxe Reverb will break up on me more quickly, though. I would be glad to check my settings, try different guitars with different pickups, etc., if it might help anyone.

Back
Top Bottom