Les Paul. Which one??

I have a Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess (viceroy brown) and it's the best playing guitar I own. It sounds great too, although much different than a standard I used to have. The upper end pauls are overpriced for sure, but they sure are fun. Marry a rich woman and have her buy you one!

I have a Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess (viceroy brown) and it's the best playing guitar I own. It sounds great too, although much different than a standard I used to have. The upper end pauls are overpriced for sure, but they sure are fun. Marry a rich woman and have her buy you one!
How does the Floyd rose affect the sustain?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.....!!!

Hence my mentioning to stick with a few earlier models that saw good production runs. You know, get a killer 2007 or a sweetass 1995 R9 or a 2010 Goldtop R7. The used market is teeming with deals for exceptionally good Lesters.

Good luck,
Mo
Yah but how do I try all of these older models out? Figured I would be going to Guitar Center and everyone is saying you have to buy one that you've played as opposed to EBay. There are so many sweet LPs on EBay.

Definitely try a custom shop if only for comparison, I've always been a bit 'ho hum' about the lesters I've had.

A guy recently came round to try a cab I was selling with a (2010 or 11 I think) 60's reissue, easily the best gibson I've ever played, couldn't believe it. The sister one's in a local shop but can't go in cos it's a horrible price and it'll be game over :)

Yah but how do I try all of these older models out? Figured I would be going to Guitar Center and everyone is saying you have to buy one that you've played as opposed to EBay. There are so many sweet LPs on EBay.
I'll say this, if it's a decent ax in excellent condition - pretty well everything can be tweaked to make it a great player. Whether it be different tuners, a new nut, tone-pros bridge, different pups, good neck set up, etc. all these things are variables that can - if need be - be altered to get the guitar to where it should be, if it needs that to actually get there. Sometimes you can get one straight out of the box that's just killer.

Interesting story about Jim and Janine at Route66. It's VERY rare for another player to look for the exact same (or almost all the same) variables in a guitar. Well, just so happens "Jim" and I dig the same feel of a guitar - we recognize the same playability aspects - we like the same action and feel the same about resonance. So man, I've been so lucky as he'll send over an email with "another total winner" in the subject line and sure enough - it's a total trophy right out of the case. In this regard, I've been lucky. But of the ones I've bought off the net, there's only been two I simply couldn't work with and had to dump. Of the others, over 16 in total, I've brought them back to being awesome players, and of the ones that were god-like - I simply kept them :lol

Don't be scared - in their simplest form, they're wood with some electronics in them. Make sure they're true and straight and the frets don't need a re-dress (or complete re-fret) and you're good to go.

Good luck!!! If all else fails, there's always PRS ;)
Mo

I'll say this, if it's a decent ax in excellent condition - pretty well everything can be tweaked to make it a great player. Whether it be different tuners, a new nut, tone-pros bridge, different pups, good neck set up, etc. all these things are variables that can - if need be - be altered to get the guitar to where it should be, if it needs that to actually get there. Sometimes you can get one straight out of the box that's just killer.

Interesting story about Jim and Janine at Route66. It's VERY rare for another player to look for the exact same (or almost all the same) variables in a guitar. Well, just so happens "Jim" and I dig the same feel of a guitar - we recognize the same playability aspects - we like the same action and feel the same about resonance. So man, I've been so lucky as he'll send over an email with "another total winner" in the subject line and sure enough - it's a total trophy right out of the case. In this regard, I've been lucky. But of the ones I've bought off the net, there's only been two I simply couldn't work with and had to dump. Of the others, over 16 in total, I've brought them back to being awesome players, and of the ones that were god-like - I simply kept them :lol

Don't be scared - in their simplest form, they're wood with some electronics in them. Make sure they're true and straight and the frets don't need a re-dress (or complete re-fret) and you're good to go.

Good luck!!! If all else fails, there's always PRS ;)
Mo
You rock Mo. Thanks. I figure I'll be checking out the PRS's while I am there too.

+1 on the Alex Lifeson Axcess LP & on the rich woman. I have one in Crimson red, the LP not the woman...............

+1 on the Alex Lifeson Axcess LP & on the rich woman. I have one in Crimson red, the LP not the woman...............
I am so intrigued by this model. It seems like it is much more ergonomic and has tons of tonal options. I am a huge Alex fan but not necessarily of his tone. Do you have other LP's as well? How does this compare if you do? I think Drama mentioned he has had multiple LPs and likes this Axcess model the best.

I am so intrigued by this model. It seems like it is much more ergonomic and has tons of tonal options. I am a huge Alex fan but not necessarily of his tone. Do you have other LP's as well? How does this compare if you do? I think Drama mentioned he has had multiple LPs and likes this Axcess model the best.
I've owned the ES 335 & a 336. & they were fine. But with this model its not just the options, it really plays awesome. The high register is easily axcessable, it weighs to me, bout like a 336. & personally I luv the pu's. I read where Alex described them as "not to hot" his preference. They clean up as good as they get dirty. + the floyd rose & piezo. all IMHO.......

Went to guitar center today and tried out a bunch of Les Pauls. Thought they were all pretty much "meh". Standouts were the Les Paul Custom (black and gold) and the 59 Reissue Iced Tea VOS. I could never pay what they are asking for something of that quality. I just don't see what the fuss is about these guitars. I am going to try out more though. I figure if so many people love them then there must be something to the myth. It's been an illusive search I must say.

Agreed! The Lifeson LP is hard to put down. It plays like butter and sounds great. I actually love the Floyd on it, it's implemented well on this guitar. The pickups are very full sounding and have the right amount of push and a great midrange focus.

I've owned the ES 335 & a 336. & they were fine. But with this model its not just the options, it really plays awesome. The high register is easily axcessable, it weighs to me, bout like a 336. & personally I luv the pu's. I read where Alex described them as "not to hot" his preference. They clean up as good as they get dirty. + the floyd rose & piezo. all IMHO.......

I figure if so many people love them then there must be something to the myth. It's been an illusive search I must say.
You wouldn't believe how many people are fooled by a brand and how many people don't know a bad guitar from a good one but just want it because it looks cool or their favourite player has one or they just want to fit in, follow the herd.

I mentioned in another thread I used to work for the importer of Gibson and Kramer back in the end of the '80s. They had a luthier working full-time fixing bad Gibsons. The Kramers needed no work at all.

You can find a good one but it shouldn't be that hard. At that price, quality should be consistent.
And they're overpriced anyway. What they are asking for, I pay for a real handmade guitar by a top luthier.
So don't be a herd animal and follow your own judgement.

I'd just get a PRS SC58 stripped and call it a day. They have great quality and look a hell of a lot better than what Gibson puts out and charges an arm and a leg for.

Back in the day, when quality woods were chosen for their "inherent qualities", a number of things occurred upon finishing the product:
- guitar was solid, but not overly heavy
- guitar was highly resonant
- guitar offered beautiful sustain
- guitar offered rich tone
So true! This is also my experience. For a while I had a really old LP Junior, built in 1959 with the P-90 pickups, and the description of this quote just nails my experience of that guitar. I've also owned a LP Special from 1972 that I did not like at all. Same with a 80s gold top with those thin humbuckers on, just no a musical tone and wood/strings resonance. It seems mahogany delivers a tone and resonance fitting my taste. Probably because it is a light wood? I currently own a (Tim Dohahue sign) electric Harp Guitar and although the neck is fretless this mahogany instrument built in 2012 shows the same caracter.

However, I do get a similar feel from playing partly hollow body LP type guitars (acoustic chambers built into the body), although these instruments are more "alive and fighting" with acoustic feedback. I particularly remember having a Gretsch Roc Jet (very close to the Duo xxxx models) that had this "hot tempered" live sound. Regretting I sold it I recently tried to assemble a guitar with similar feel by getting a Epi LP Ultra2 and replacing the pickups with Lace Alumitones... and this is interesting because it seems the Alumitones go very will with my brand new Axe-Fx II ("hifi-ness" PU output, can't wait to do some more tone matching with the Alumitones).

Sorry for the long post, but since the initial question was quite broad I felt I could share my general experience with LP type guitars. I've played with musicians that get a gorgeous sound out of those super heavy Les Pauls but my "player's taste" is all with the light, resonante and hot tempered models. Oh, regarding pickups... I have often put Dimarzio Dual Sound humbuckers in LP (and 335) guitars and like that sound very much (to my ears the Super Distortion sounds disgusting, but I've heard it can be coil tapped and become a "Dual Sound replica").

I'd just get a PRS SC58 stripped and call it a day. They have great quality and look a hell of a lot better than what Gibson puts out and charges an arm and a leg for.
I'll definitely give them a shot. I owned one in the early 90's but it was too dark for my tastes at the time. I think if I swapped out the pickups I would have been more happy. I ended up buying a G&L ASAT which I was infinitely more happy with.

Oh, regarding pickups... I have often put Dimarzio Dual Sound humbuckers in LP (and 335) guitars and like that sound very much (to my ears the Super Distortion sounds disgusting, but I've heard it can be coil tapped and become a "Dual Sound replica").

Some of the best aftermarkets I've worked with are Sheptone (PAF replicas), and the BKP "Mules". Stunning pickups that totally add a gorgeous level of authenticity to a good wood Lester.

Mo

You wouldn't believe how many people are fooled by a brand and how many people don't know a bad guitar from a good one but just want it because it looks cool or their favourite player has one or they just want to fit in, follow the herd.

I mentioned in another thread I used to work for the importer of Gibson and Kramer back in the end of the '80s. They had a luthier working full-time fixing bad Gibsons. The Kramers needed no work at all.

You can find a good one but it shouldn't be that hard. At that price, quality should be consistent.
And they're overpriced anyway. What they are asking for, I pay for a real handmade guitar by a top luthier.
So don't be a herd animal and follow your own judgement.
This is why I haven't ever owned a Les Paul as of yet. I've been playing guitar since 1986. I've owned Epiphone Les Pauls because I did a comparison, in store, of Epis vs. Gibson and I didn't hear/feel a $1500 difference between them. I think my Epi Les Paul 7 string (yes they made them for like a minute in 2004) plays waaaaaayyy better than any that I tried out yesterday, including the 59' RI that they were asking $6400 for. Frigging joke. :roll I swapped out the tuners with locking Grovers, changed the bridge pickup to a Dimarzio D-Sonic but I don't like it, although it is better than what was in it. Probably gonna change the nut and bridge and maybe the pots. Should make it a decent LP substitute until I can find a nice Gibson. I am not giving up yet. Just don't want to be part of the "herd" and accept shoddy workmanship at such exorbitant prices.

Back
Top Bottom