Les Paul. Which one??

Tonemeister

Experienced
This is a loaded question, I know. I've been really interested in getting a Gibson Les Paul (own an Epi already). I find all of the models and the "weight relieved" debates to be exhausting. Wondering if any of you LP owners/players have any insight on what the best models are and if the modern ones are cool or not (dig the new wiring options)? I really love the look of LPs. I think I may prefer the 60's thinner necks. Not sure about the pickups. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. I plan on going to a GC to actually play some as I've heard that's really the only way to do it with the inconsistency Gibson has now. Also I've been told the custom shop is the only way to go. The quality difference will be like night and day, I'm told.

This is a VERY big question, with no right or wrong answers.

I play Lesters almost exclusively. The ones I have took a fair bit of finding and not just straight-off-the-wall luck of the purchase. They all have varying degrees of playability, and feel, and personality. The inconsistencies that Gibson's QC has been shot down for is also the reason for the many different traits each Les Paul can offer - some good, some not so good.

For a good starting point on years, models, woods, chambering-vs-weight relief - head over to Les Paul Forum | Gibson Epiphone – MyLesPaul.com and do some browsing. I have some very solid opinions about Lesters, their respective years, the woods, the fretboard (screw bakelite!!), slab versus non-slab, etc. but these opinions are mine and only mine due to what I look for in a guitar. What I look for is more than likely different than what you'll be looking for. But feel free to hit me up with a PM and I'll happily discuss most of what I know.

Cheers,
Mo

Most custom shop guitar will be leaps and bounds ahead of production models, that being said, I have a studio lp and have tried a few customs, but have rarely felt much of a difference, let alone one enough to warrant such an exorbitant price, but of course that's just my opinion, YMMV.
Personally, I've found enough quality in production gibsons, and seeing as you must have an axe fx the difference will rarely be heard, it is almost entirely the build quality and feel.
It is all up to you, the feel is the biggest difference when you get to higher tiers, it's all diminishing returns from here.
Also, you should really give a budget, how much you're willing to spend is a huge factor.
Don't worry about all the chambered debates and neck options, you have to try it out for yourself, that's the only way you'll know the guitar is for you.

The classics from the the 90's are generally very good and have the 60s neck. I own a couple and they are my faves. The newer ones can be good as well, but you have to go and play a lot of them to find the one you like. I do prefer the traditionals because they are not chambered.. Sound better to my ears. The newer burst buckers pickups are pretty good, although I prefer the older 498t and 490r for stock pickups.
My advice, go and play as many as you can and when you find one that you like, grab it.

I've been on the MyLesPaul forum. There are alot of rude bastards on that forum. Nothing like the brotherly vibe of the Fractal Forum. Tons of good info though for sure. I guess I wanted to see how the AXE FX guys feel about LPs, since we at least have the AXE in common. Guitars are subjective obviously but still could be helpful to me I think. Thanks.

you should really give a budget
Was thinking up to $3k

I love my Silverburst 2011 Les Paul Custom, it's beautiful; ebony fretboard and chrome hardware ... it sounds and plays great, Zeppelin and AC/DC right of the box. I know it's weight relieved but it still weighs 10.2 pounds. I'm sure you could get a Custom for ~$3K at zzounds but at GC, no way.

I love my Silverburst 2011 Les Paul Custom, it's beautiful; ebony fretboard and chrome hardware ... it sounds and plays great, Zeppelin and AC/DC right of the box. I know it's weight relieved but it still weighs 10.2 pounds. I'm sure you could get a Custom for ~$3K at zzounds but at GC, no way.
I love the Silverburst but I am an Adam Jones of Tool fan and I would feel like a "tool" if I got one since that is his signature sound/look. Probably overthinking it.

I've tried em all....I love my Tom Murphy '59 les paul 50th anniversary... but if I were to buy a budget Gibby it would be Les Paul Standard and buy it used...you save a ton of money. most of all as you may know, play the guitar first. cheers!

I definitely think the quality has gone down hill over the years. I just bought a new standard traditional pro in Pelham blue a couple months ago. It took me 3 tries to get a good one. I had to keep returning and reordering. One had a flaw under the paint , another the high E string kept sliding off the fretboard since the bridge or but was installed wrong, finally one had drip marks all over it. Gibson would never have let those guitars see the light of day in the past.

But once I got a perfect one, its a great playing and sounding Lp. I think it sounds better than my premium plus LP. It's actually heavier too. I'm not sure how much they are weight relieved but this one is pretty damn heavy. It's heavier than my premium plus.

If you can afford it custom shop is definitely the way to go. I have a 68 RI and the quality is much higher than standard runs.

I definitely think the quality has gone down hill over the years. I just bought a new standard traditional pro in Pelham blue a couple months ago. It took me 3 tries to get a good one. I had to keep returning and reordering.
QC inconsistencies have been a part of Gibby's lineage since the 50's, it ain't nuthin' new.

Straight out of the line, looking at Customs and reissues will get you into the ballpark of a decent foundation for a quality build - as well as some residual value on resale, if you're thinking that far down the road. Purists like slab bodies - no weight relief, no chambering, and definitely no "Cloud 9" nonsense. You may not care, but I say this in the event you wish to resell your guitar. Furthermore, maybe there's something to the purists knowing about resonance and sustain and the like?? I'll go ahead now and throw out a referral to Jim and Janine and Route66 Classic Guitars. Hook up with them and they'll treat you real well - they know their Lesters! Let 'em know Mo sent you and you'll be in good hands.

The variables run broad and deep with Les Pauls. It's an education unto itself. But when you do get your mitts onto a keeper, you'll know why the work to get it right was so worth it. They sing like none other 8)

Good Luck,
V.

I've been on the MyLesPaul forum. There are alot of rude bastards on that forum. Nothing like the brotherly vibe of the Fractal Forum.

Every teenaged "expert" with a PC gets brave and confrontational online, including those teens at heart. It is pretty discouraging, and sneaks in here some times. I am very glad to report, though, in my couple of years here it has been an overall inspiring, informative, and somewhat reaffirming take on what forums can be and do.

I've owned three Les Pauls, and my favorite by far was the 1997 Les Paul Classic I owned about 6 years back. Wish I'd have never sold that one. It had the 60's neck you refer to, which was a bit less round but still had plenty of wood to grab on to. Very nice, clear sound and although it sounds petty, white inlays instead of those horrid looking green ones that came years later. If I purchase another LP, I will be going with a late 90s Classic without a doubt. And as a bonus, they run in the $1-2K area, depending on fanciness of the top. A genuine value in the LP family.

As an aside, Carvin's CT6 series has a very Les Paulish feel. The really good, old LP sort of neck. Not what you're asking for but a worthy item to check. I often go back to mine when I am looking for that sound.

This is a loaded question, I know. I've been really interested in getting a Gibson Les Paul (own an Epi already). I find all of the models and the "weight relieved" debates to be exhausting. Wondering if any of you LP owners/players have any insight on what the best models are and if the modern ones are cool or not (dig the new wiring options)? I really love the look of LPs. I think I may prefer the 60's thinner necks. Not sure about the pickups. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. I plan on going to a GC to actually play some as I've heard that's really the only way to do it with the inconsistency Gibson has now. Also I've been told the custom shop is the only way to go. The quality difference will be like night and day, I'm told.

i think you pretty much answer all of your own questions here.

Yes .....

go try them yourself. You really don't need a guitar that is good for somebody else. you need a guitar that YOU like. I had a custom black LP and loved it. It is heavy as a led zeppelin ended up with a previously owned PRS Custom 24 and we are soul mates and for me is the guitar I love the most. I also have a Zematis clone LP hearts and had a custom Jimmy Page switching system installed along with Lindy Fralin PAF PUPs (same PUPs I had on the Gibson LP Custom) that is what is on these new LPs have is the JP switching system. This is by no means a "new wiring system" the system offers the most options that you will ever find on any H/H guitar.

http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/jp_style.pdf

Take your time, don't ask others, try them all yourself. Even two of the exact same model may be quite different. No reason not to try 50 guitars before you buy. In time you will know when that right guitar falls into your hands.

Last edited:
On a side note, once you know which one you want. Make sure you don't buy it off the internet. Each Les Paul seems to be a little different and sound different. Play one in person and make sure you are getting exactly what you want for the money you're willing to throw down.

-Nat

My recommendations would be:

-1958 or 1957 reissue used.....around 2300$ is a good price for these. The 59 reissues are crazy overpriced just because of the figured wood top.

- if you can find a used 1968 Reissue LP Custom buy it....should be around $2500. These are my fave model, love the ebony with nickel hardware. Theres other colors also. IMO these are the best LPs Gibson makes

Heard about these. There is a dealer near me so I was going to check them out

[Heritage] Ya, they're worth a look.

The above mentioned '68 Reissues can be very very pricey as well - dependent on the flash of the maple top. I've got a '68 Firemist as they called it, probably going for $7500 with the top that it does.

Back to Lesters - bear in mind slab is preferred, and weight for "good wood" without relief or chambering ought to be in the 9lbs range. Less could be good - a more lively guitar, could also mean less beef. More could mean denser wood which in theory should offer better sustain, but often doesn't. I've got Lesters - all solid body slab - ranging in weight from 8 lbs,13oz to 13 lbs, 4oz. Big range there - but they all play incredibly well.

Have fun with this, it's a learning experience.

V.

I was in a shop in Singapore last year when a guy walked in a traded a couple of guitars - amongst the guitars he surrendered was a beaten up, black LP Studio. It had the expected fret wear of a player that only knows A minor and some dings in the finish, but was otherwise true and there was plenty of fretwire left to dress. I bought it as a beater (project guitar) for SGP $700.
Over the following months I redressed the frets (I take my time like no luthier could ever afford to do), slapped a TonePros bridge and tailpiece on it, GraphTech TUSQ nut (which cures 90% of the sticking G string tuning problem), complete rewire with new CTS pots, Suhr Aldrich humbuckers - but the biggest job was scraping the dinged up black finish off with a heat gun and refinishing it with Tung Oil. I also sanded down a 'forearm cut' so as not to get dead-right-arm syndrome. Tung oil finishes up satin smooth - doesn't smell, doesn't get sticky, seals the wood up just fine.
All my Les Paul fan buddies that have played it have fallen instantly in love. "It plays like butter" is my favorite comment. It hangs on the studio wall next to my Gold Top. It will never win a beauty contest, especially next to a Sunburst Standard or a Black Beauty Custom, but I bet it's the one you'd want to play all day... All up, cost me a fraction of a new one too.

Back
Top Bottom