Lemur: now one of the best reasons to own an iPad

Cool stuff Scrutinizer. I dig your blog.

Is it easy for Lemur users to share their settings? Maybe this thread can become a repository for users. Looks like Scrutinizer has a head start!

I consider Fractal as Apple's doppelgänger in the music gear business, for several reasons:
1. Both companies have the best product on the market, and also one of the most expensive (though Apple has recently been competing on price too, in cell phones, ultraportable laptops and a few other categories).
2. They refuse to compromise on quality or release crappy, cheap versions of their products to "gain marketshare". Quality and profit come first (as they should), marketshare a distant second.
3. Both companies take their time and release products when they're ready, and don't pre-announce a year in advance.
4. Both companies have their own set of haters whose motivation is kind of hard to rationally explain. :)

This is just typical Apple-loving nonsense. Apple frequently has product defects- suggesting that the products aren't ready when they are released sometimes. They also have a nasty history of trying to suppress information about their defects through threat of legal force. And then you have their refusal to compete in an open market by using questionable patents to stifle their competition.

Apple has haters because Apple fanatics are ... well. fanatics... and Apple's advertising is deceptive and enraging.

They make some cool products- I have an iPad and it is the best thing of its kind for music apps and gaming. Their laptops have the best power connector design in existence. They make some cool stuff but Apple is a despicable company.

My opinion, of course.

I just bought the app, and it definitely looks way more advanced then Midi touch. Scrutinizer anyway that you can post your template? I have a feeling that this might take me a little more time to figure out.

Cool stuff Scrutinizer. I dig your blog.

Is it easy for Lemur users to share their settings? Maybe this thread can become a repository for users. Looks like Scrutinizer has a head start!
Thanks!

I do plan on sharing the template, it is a single file. The bidirectional communication with the AxeFX is tricky, so I will spend extra time adding comments to those sections of code.

Have you at Fractal seen the problem that happens when param ID 0 is queried? In the amp block, this is the Amp Type parameter. I would love to be able to query amp type and display it, or even have a menu where the user can select amp type. But when I query this parameter, my Ultra reacts as if I had changed the Amp Type: About 75% of the amp block parameters revert to default values based on the currently selected Amp Type. A similar behavior occurs when querying the 'Type' parameter of some other blocks. If there is desire at Fractal to fix this, I would be happy to spend some time identifying the blocks/parameters that cannot be queried via sysex without undesirable side-effects.

Can anyone recommend a good MIDI interface for this duty, such that a MIDI floorboard can still be used?

+1

This would be key for live use and at rehearsals where executing MIDI footpedal moves is necessary as well as tweaking sounds via the iPad.

I use MFC 101 connected to Cat5 and Irig midi+ipad connected to midi in of AXE II
Cool. I was wondering if that would work. I expect to receive my AxeFX II coupon in the next few weeks.

For people not using the MFC101 + AxeFXII, some type of MIDI merge box would be needed. MIDI Solutions makes an inexpensive 2-in 1-out MIDI merge box. MOTU's high end MIDI interfaces can be used to route and merge MIDI, and provide this function even when not connected to a computer.

I use MIDI OX and MIDI Yoke on the PC to merge/route MIDI data. On the Mac I use MIDI Patchbay.

Can you explain more how to sync these values? Do they sync when you load a patch?
Edit:
It is probably by pressing that refresh button, right?
Yes, pressing the REFRESH button starts a state machine that queries the parameters one by one. I wanted to share my template yesterday, but ran into some problems getting the switches (bright, boost, stabilizer, etc) to work. Not sure what happened, but it was so fubar'd that I had to revert back to the previously saved revision. Once I get the switches working, I'll share the template.

If using the MFC101, when you change a preset, the MFC101 will request the preset name and effect block bypass state. It would be easy to detect this event and use it to trigger a re-sync.

For some reason when I try to do a program change it doesn't work, any clue on getting this to work?
I would use a 'Pads' object.

Highlight the Pads object, then create a script attached to the object by clicking the SCRIPT button in the PROJECT window.

In the Create Script dialog, give the script a name. Any name will do.

In the Script window, set Execution: On Expression. Enter "X==1" (without the quotes) in the expression textbox, then change the trigger to the 'rising edge' option (Message sent when expression goes from 0 to positive). This configures the Script to execute when the Pad is touched, and prevents it from executing when the Pad is released. There might be a better way to do this, but it is the only way I know so far.

The script needs to send the program change message. This can be done with one line of code in the script window:
midiout(0, {0xC0, 0x00});

The first '0' in the script specifies the Lemur MIDI target ... MIDI0 in this case. The program change command is specified in raw MIDI format (0xC0, 0x00). Change the values as needed for MIDI channel and desired program change #.

It's a bit pricey, but I'm looking at the iConnectMIDI interface. I believe it will do the MIDI Merge as well.

FWIW, I have a Line6 MIDI Mobilizer (version 1) here that I never use. I'd be happy to let it go cheap if someone wants to go that way.

I was able to do midi merge with the Behringer FCB1010 with the Uno chip. With that you could hook the Ipad into the FCB and send midi to the Axe via both, whether to a II, Ultra or Standard.

Here is a test one that I created.

How do I go above preset 127? I tried using 0xFC but that doesn't work, Do I have to send a bank select first.

I have way to many questions.

Right click and save as

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6726292/Frac...r Board.jzml
Send a bank change message before sending the program change. Bank change is CC#0. I would use the ctlout() function:
ctrlout(target,ctrl,val,chan)

'ctrl' = 0 to select the bank change command
'val' = bank number

Back
Top Bottom