Lemur: now one of the best reasons to own an iPad

Can you explain Lemur for "dummies", and is there anything this can do that is Axe Fx or guitar recording/performing related?

I bought the Lemur app the week it was released. Been waiting for something like this. It is a game changer.

Lemur can send and receive sysex. I've run some tests to see if I can receive and parse the sysex messages coming from the Ultra. The Lemur documentation does not specifically describe how to receive sysex messages, but after some trial and error, I got it working. The first test was a simple counter that incremented each time the Tempo Pulse sysex message was received.

Last edited:
Can you explain Lemur for "dummies", and is there anything this can do that is Axe Fx or guitar recording/performing related?
Lemur provides a way to build custom iPad interface to control MIDI gear.

A simple example would be a screen with a few faders that send MIDI CC messages to the AxeFX. It would be like having additional expression pedals.

A more complicated example might be a screen with numerous buttons with which the user can change the bypass state of AxeFX effects blocks. For this to make sense, the buttons would need to show the current bypass state of the blocks. The only way to do this is to receive and decode the BypassState sysex message sent by the AxeFX. The scripting language in Lemur provides a way to do this.

Can someone point some advantages of using Lemur instead of Midi Touch app? I was using Midi Touch succesfully with axe Ii and i don't know if i should spend some more money for Lemur.
Can it reflect the iA button states on patch change, like MFC does?

fufufufufu.... Join the trendy side.... :twisted

indeed!

OriginalRage.png

:D

Can someone point some advantages of using Lemur instead of Midi Touch app? I was using Midi Touch succesfully with axe Ii and i don't know if i should spend some more money for Lemur.
Can it reflect the iA button states on patch change, like MFC does?

from what I gather of the description it can send and receive sysex, it even has it's own translation protocol.

This could be one awesome AxeEditiPadthingie!

I'd have to tape the Apple logo with a Fractal Audio Systems one, tho ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
I consider Fractal as Apple's doppelgänger in the music gear business, for several reasons:
1. Both companies have the best product on the market, and also one of the most expensive (though Apple has recently been competing on price too, in cell phones, ultraportable laptops and a few other categories).
2. They refuse to compromise on quality or release crappy, cheap versions of their products to "gain marketshare". Quality and profit come first (as they should), marketshare a distant second.
3. Both companies take their time and release products when they're ready, and don't pre-announce a year in advance.
4. Both companies have their own set of haters whose motivation is kind of hard to rationally explain. :)

I realize that I might have derailed this thread, let's just say I'm not a hater, I'm just very pragmatic.

back to OT.

First you have to buy Axe, then a floor controller, exp. pedals, speakers and preamp, then new guitar strings, take lessons so you actually can play a little... but now you also have to buy a new phone. What should a poor man do?

I prefer TouchOSC for custom MIDI interfaces of the iPhone/iPad myself. Also 1/10th the price of Lemur and it's been "doing it longer" so you've got a few years of bug fixes and tutorials behind it.

Reactions: jon
Thanks for the tip. I've looked at the Lemur for several years and could never quite justify the price. At $50 it's a no-brainer. People who say this is expensive are out of their collective minds. Do you have any idea what you can actually do with a Lemur? Have they looked at the templates on the Liine.net website? Wow! Last I know, the original Lemur didn't allow you to check email, the Axe Fx forum. Stream anything on it to your tv via Apple TV ($100), run the Animoog plugin purchased for $1 and store the manuals for everything you own in instantly readable fashion among other things. Plus become the center of family activity at holiday time when you put the family photos you've just taken on it and pass it around. Even grandma digs it.

As to the "doing it longer" argument, go look at the templates on the Liine site and tell me you've ever seen anything close to that on TouchOSC. No offense to TouchOSC or any of the others which I love (MidiTouch), but Lemur is way beyond them in scope and functionality. On the other hand, those programs are amazing value, too. We're swamped in great choices.

As to the "doing it longer" argument, go look at the templates on the Liine site and tell me you've ever seen anything close to that on TouchOSC. No offense to TouchOSC or any of the others which I love (MidiTouch), but Lemur is way beyond them in scope and functionality. On the other hand, those programs are amazing value, too. We're swamped in great choices.
"Doing it longer" doesn't mean you've got templates to pick from, it means you've got bugs worked out. I'm sure this'll turn into something cool but I'm cool to let the early adopters beat out the bugs before I fork over $50 for it.

So far the only advantage i see is having correct iA states on your controller. That doesn't convince me to spend that much money. I mean it is probably a great and flexible app if you are doing lots of maping in the daw but for simple AXE FX control is a bit overkill in my oppinion.
With Midi touch i can send PC, CC and sysex messages, that makes 99% of what i need.

Back
Top Bottom